In-Vitro Evaluation of the Effect of Herbal Antioxidants on Shear Bond Strength of Composite Resin to Bleached Enamel
Objectives: A reduction in bond strength of composite to bleached enamel has been reported immediately after bleaching treatment. Application of some antioxidant agents may decrease the adverse effects of whitening agents on bond strength and enhance composite bond to enamel. This study aimed to assess the effect of green tea, sodium ascorbate, sage and grape seed extract on bond strength of composite to bleached enamel.
Materials and Methods: In this in-vitro study, 90 human enamel surfaces were randomly divided into six groups as follows (n=15): G1, no bleaching; G2, bleaching with 40% hydrogen peroxide (HP); G3, HP+1000 μmol epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) for 10 minutes; G4, HP+10% sodium ascorbate for 10 minutes; G5, HP+10% sage for 10 minutes and G6, HP+5% grape seed extract for 10 minutes. The specimens were bonded to composite in all groups. The shear bond strength of specimens was measured in Megapascals (MPa). Data were analyzed using one-way ANOVA and Tukey’s HSD test (α=0.05).
Results: The highest and the lowest mean shear bond strength values were observed in group 1 (22.61±3.29MPa) and group 2 (5.87±1.80MPa), respectively. The reduction in bond strength in group 2 was greater than that in other groups (P<0.001). No significant difference was found among groups 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 (P>0.05).
Conclusions: All the herbal antioxidants used in this study equally compensated for the reduced bond strength of composite to bleached enamel.
- Kihn PW. Vital tooth whitening. Dent Clin North Am. 2007 Apr;51(2):319-31.
- Demarco FF, Meireles SS, Sarmento HR, DantasRV, Botero T, Tarquinio SB. Erosion and abrasion on dental structures undergoing at-home bleaching. Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2011 Jul;3:45-52.
- Minoux M, Serfaty R. Vital tooth bleaching: biologic adverse effects-a review. Quintessence Int. 2008 Sep;39(8):645-59.
- Vidhya S, Srinivasulu S, Sujatha M, Mahalaxmi S. Effect of grape seed extract on the bond strength of bleached enamel. Oper Dent. 2011 Jul-Aug;36(4): 433-8.
- Algahtani MQ. Tooth bleaching procedures and their controversial effects: A literature review. Saudi Dent J. 2014 Apr;26(2):33-46.
- Turkun M, Kaya AD. Effect of 10% sodium ascorbate on the shear bond strength of composite resin to bleached bovine enamel. J Oral Rehabil. 2004 Dec;31(12):1184-91.
- Attin T, Vollmer D, Wiegand A, Attin R, Betke H. Subsurface micro hardness of enamel and dentin after different external bleaching procedures. Am J Dent. 2005 Feb;18(1):8-12.
- Kaya AD, Turkun M. Reversal of dentin bonding to bleached teeth. Oper Dent. 2003 Nov-Dec;28 (6):825-9.
- Lambert JD, Elias RJ. The antioxidant and pro-oxidant activities of green tea polyphenols: A role in cancer prevention. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2010 Sep;501(1):65-72.
- Kaya AD, Türkün M, Arici M. Reversal of compromised bonding in bleached enamel using antioxidant gel. Oper Dent. 2008 Jul-Aug;33(4):441-7.
- Lima AF, Fonseca FM, Freitas MS, Palialol AR, Aguiar FH, Marchi GM. Effect of bleaching treatment and reduced application time of an antioxidant on bond strength to bleached enamel and subjacent dentin. J Adhes Dent. 2011 Dec;13(6):537-42.
- Nour El-din AK, Miller BH, Griggs JA, Wakefield C. Immediate bonding to bleached enamel. Oper Dent. 2006 Jan-feb;31(1):106-14.
- Poorni S, Kumar RA, Shankar P, Indira R, Ramachandran S. Effect of 10% sodium ascorbate on the calcium: Phosphorus ratio of enamel bleachedwith 35% hydrogen peroxide: an in vitro quantitative energy-dispersive X-ray analysis. Contemp Clin Dent. 2010 Oct;1(4):223-6.
- Yun JH, Pang EK, Kim CS, Yoo YJ, Cho KS, Chai JK, et al. Inhibitory of green tea polyphenol on the expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 and on the formation of osteoclast. J Periodontal Res. 2004 Oct;39(5):300-7.
- Kato MT, Magalhães AC, Rios D, Hannas AR, Attin T, Buzalaf MA. Protective effect of green tea on dentin erosion and abrasion. J Appl Oral Sci. 2009 Nov-Dec;17(6):560-4.
- Frei B, Higdon JV. Antioxidant activity of tea polyphenols in vivo: evidence from animal studies. J Nutr. 2003 Oct;133(10):3275S-84S.
- Khamverdi Z, Rezaei-Soufi L, Kasraei S, Ronasi N, Rostami S. Effect of epigallocatechin gallate on shear bond strength of composite resin to bleached enamel: an in vitro study. Restor Dent Endod. 2013 Nov;38(4):241-7.
- Kimyai S, Valizadeh H. The effect of hydrogel and solution of sodium ascorbate on bond strength in bleached enamel. Oper Dent. 2006 Jul-Aug;31(4): 496-9.
- Young IS, Woodside JV. Antioxidants in health and disease. J Clin Pathol. 2001 Mar;54(3):176-86.
- Dabas D, Patil AC, Uppin VM. Evaluation of the effect of concentration and duration of application of sodium ascorbate hydrogel on the bond strength of composite resin to bleached enamel. J Conserv Dent. 2011 Oct;14(4):356-60.
- Muraguchi K, Shigenobu S, Suzuki S, Tanaka T. Improvement of bonding to bleached bovine tooth surfaces by ascorbic acid treatment. Dent Mater J. 2007 Nov;26(6):875-81.
- Khamverdi Z, Safari M. In-vitro evaluation of the effect of sage on shear bond strength of composite resin to bleached enamel. J Islam Dent Assoc Iran 2013 Dec;25(4):366-72.
- Sharafeddin F, Motamedi M, Modiri S. Effect of immediate application of pomegranate peel, grape seed and green tea extracts on composite shear bond strength of in-office bleached enamel. Res J Biolog Sci. 2013;8(3):83-7.
- Subramonian R, Mathai V, Christaine Angelo JB, Ravi J. Effect of three different antioxidants on the shear bond strength of composite resin to bleached enamel: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent. 2015 Mar-Apr;18(2):144-8.
- Berger SB, De Souza Carreira RP, Guiraldo RD, Lopes MB, Pavan S, Giannini M, et al. Can green tea be used to reversecompromised bond strength after bleaching? Eur J Oral Sci. 2013 Aug;121(4):377-81.
- Ozelin AA, Guiraldo RD, Carvalho RV, Lopes MB, Berger SB. Effects of green tea application time on bond strength after enamel bleaching. Braz Dent J. 2014 Sep-Oct;25(5):399-403.
- Abraham S, Ghonmode WN, Saujanya KP, Jaju N, Tambe VH, Yawalikar PP. Effect of grape seed extracts on bond strength of bleached enamel using fifth and seventh generation bonding agents. J Int Oral Health. 2013 Dec;5(6):101-7.
- Arumugam MT, Nesamani R, Kittappa K, Sanjeev K, Sekar M. Effect of various antioxidants on the shear bond strength of composite resin to bleached enamel: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent.2014 Jan;17(1):22-6.
- Fine AM. Oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes: history, structure, and phytopharma-ceutical applications. Altern Med Rev. 2000 Apr;5 (2):144-51.
- Han Y, Mo S, Jiang L, Zhu Y. Effects of antioxidants on the microleakage of composite resin restorations after external tooth bleaching. Eur J Dent. 2014 Apr;8(2):147-53.
- Bulut H, Turkun M, Kaya AD. Effect of an antioxidizing agent on the shear bond strength of brackets bonded on bleached human enamel. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2006 Feb;129(2):266-72.
- Kanwar J, Taskeen M, Mohammad I, Huo C, Chan TH, Dou QP. Recent advances on tea polyphenols. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2012 Jan;4:111-31.
- Xie Q, Berdan-Russo AK, Wu CD. In vitro remineralization effects of grape seed extract on artificial root caries. J Dent. 2008 Nov;36(11):900-6.
- Narayanan N, Thangavelu L. Salvia officinalis in dentistry. Dent Hypotheses 2015 Jan;6(1):27-30.