Effect of Addition of Curcumin Nanoparticles on Antimicrobial Property and Shear Bond Strength of Orthodontic Composite to Bovine Enamel
Objectives: This study sought to assess the effect of curcumin nanoparticles (curcNPs) on antimicrobial property and shear bond strength (SBS) of orthodontic composite to bovine enamel.
Materials and Methods: In this in vitro, experimental study, 1%, 5% and 10% curcNPs were added to Transbond XT composite. Stainless steel brackets were bonded to 48 sound bovine incisors in four groups (n=12) using composite containing 0% (control), 1%, 5% and 10% curcNPs. The bracket-tooth SBS was measured by a universal testing machine. The adhesive remnant index (ARI) score was calculated after debonding using a stereomicroscope. Also, 180 discs were fabricated of the four composites; 108 were subjected to eluted component test, 36 were used for disc diffusion test and 36 were used for biofilm test to assess their antimicrobial activity against Streptococcus mutans, Streptococcus sanguinis and Lactobacillus acidophilus.
Results: The highest and lowest SBS belonged to control and 10% curcNP groups, respectively. The difference in SBS was significant among the four groups (P=0.008). The SBS of control group was significantly higher than that of 10% curcNPs (P=0.006). The four groups were not significantly different in terms of ARI score (P>0.05). Growth inhibition zones were not seen in any group. In biofilm test, the colony counts of all bacteria significantly decreased by an increase in percentage of curcNPs. Colony count significantly decreased only at 30 days.
Conclusions: At 1% concentration, curcNPs have significant antimicrobial activity against cariogenic bacteria with no adverse effect on SBS. However, insolubility of curcNPs remains a major drawback.
- Bishara SE, Ajlouni R, Soliman MM, Oonsombats C, Laffoon JF, Warren J. Evaluation of a new nano-filled restorative material for bonding orthodontic brackets. World J Orthod. 2007 Spring;8(1):8-12.
- van Waveren Hogervorst WL, Feilzer AJ, Prahl-Andersen B. The air-abrasion technique versus the conventional acid-etching technique: A quantification of surface enamel loss and a comparison of shear bond strength. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2000 Jan;117(1):20-6.
- Romano FL, Valério RA, Gomes-Silva JM, Ferreira JT, Faria G, Borsatto MC. Clinical evaluation of the failure rate of metallic brackets bonded with orthodontic composites. Braz Dent J. 2012;23(4):399-402.
- Powers JM, Kim HB, Turner DS. Orthodontic adhesives and bond strength testing. Semin Orthod. 1997 Sep;3(3):147-56.
- Frazier MC, Southard TE, Doster PM. Prevention of enamel demineralization during orthodontic treatment: an in vitro study using pit and fissure sealants. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1996 Nov;110(5):459-65.
- Basdra EK, Huber H, Komposch G. Fluoride released from orthodontic bonding agents alters the enamel surface and inhibits enamel demineralization in vitro. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1996 May;109(5):466-72.
- Bloom RH, Brown LR Jr. A study of the effects of orthodontic appliances on the oral microbial flora. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1964 May;17:658-67.
- Mizrahi E. Enamel demineralization following orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod. 1982 Jul;82(1): 62-7.
- Kukleva MP, Shetkova DG, Beev VH. Comparative age study of the risk of demineralization during orthodontic treatment with brackets. Folia Med (Plovdiv). 2002;44(1-2):56-9.
- Anderson AM, Kao E, Gladwin M, Benli O, Ngan P. The effects of argon laser irradiation on enamel decalcification: An in vivo study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2002 Sep;122(3):251-9.
- Wenderoth CJ, Weinstein M, Borislow AJ. Effectiveness of a fluoride-releasing sealant in reducing decalcification during orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1999 Dec;116(6):629-34.
- Gorelick L, Geiger AM, Gwinnett AJ. Incidence of white spot formation after bonding and banding. Am J Orthod. 1982 Feb;81(2):93-8.
- Matasa CG. Microbial attack of orthodontic adhesives. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1995 Aug;108(2):132-41.
- Uysal T, Yagci A, Uysal B, Akdogan G. Are nano-composites and nano-ionomers suitable for orthodontic bracket bonding? Eur J Orthod. 2010 Feb;32(1):78-82.
- Thomas J. An Introduction to Nanotechnology: The next small big thing. Development. 2006 Dec; 49(4):39-46.
- Devaraj SD, Neelakantan P. Curcumin-pharmacological actions and its role in dentistry. Asian J Pharmaceut Res Health Care 2014 Apr 4;6 (1):19-22.
- Moghadamtousi SZ, Kadir HA, Hassandarvish P, Tajik H, Abubakar S, Zandi K. A review on antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal activity ofcurcumin. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:186864.
- Rastogi P, Anand V, Minkle Gulati N, Dixit J, Singhal R. A review of curcumin in reference to its use in oral diseases. Leukemia. 2012;2:11.
- Akhavan A, Sodagar A, Mojtahedzadeh F, Sodagar K. Investigating the effect of incorporating nanosilver/nanohydroxyapatite particles on the shear bond strength of orthodontic adhesives. Acta Odontol Scand. 2013 Sep;71(5):1038-42.
- Aydin Sevinç B, Hanley L. Antibacterial activity of dental composites containing zinc oxide nanoparticles. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2010 Jul;94(1):22-31.
- Poosti M, Ramazanzadeh B, Zebarjad M, Javadzadeh P, Naderinasab M, Shakeri MT. Shear bond strength and antibacterial effects of orthodontic composite containing TiO2 nanoparticles. Eur J Orthod. 2013 Oct;35(5):676-9.
- Ahn SJ, Lee SJ, Kook JK, Lim BS. Experimental antimicrobial orthodontic adhesives using nanofillers and silver nanoparticles. Dent Mater. 2009;25(2):206-13.
- Cheng L, Weir MD, Xu HH, Antonucci JM, Lin NJ, Lin-Gibson S, et al. Effect of amorphous calcium phosphate and silver nanoparticles on dental plaque microcosm biofilm. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2012 Jul;100(5):1378-86.
- Kim JE, Kim HE, Hwang JK, Lee HJ, Kwon HK, Kim BI. Antibacterial characteristics of Curcuma xanthorrhiza extract on Streptococcus mutans biofilm. J Microbiol. 2008 Apr;46(2):228-32.
- Fernandes JP, Mello-Moura AC, Marques MM, Nicoletti MA. Cytotoxicity evaluation of Curcuma zedoaria (Christm.) Roscoe fluid extract used in oral hygiene products. Acta Odontol Scand. 2012 Dec;70 (6):610-4.
- Yen FL, Wu TH, Tzeng CW, Lin LT, Lin CC. Curcumin nanoparticles improve the physicochemical properties of curcumin and effectively enhance its antioxidant and antihepatoma activities. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Jun 23;58(12): 7376-82.
- Kreth J, Merritt J, Shi W, Qi F. Competition and coexistence between Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sanguinis in the dental biofilm. J Bacteriol. 2005;187(21):7193-203.
- Choi, Yu CP, Esteban Fernández G, Hu Z. Interactions of nanosilver with Escherichia coli cells in planktonic and biofilm cultures. Water Res. 2010 Dec;44(20):6095-103.
- Wilson B, Abraham G, Manju V, Mathew M, Vimala B, Sundaresan S, et al. Antimicrobial activity of Curcuma zedoaria and Curcuma malabarica tubers. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005 May 13;99(1):147-51.
- Mirhashemi A, Bahador A, Kassaee M, Daryakenari G, Ahmad-Akhoundi M, Sodagar A. Antimicrobial Effect of Nano-Zinc Oxide and Nano-Chitosan Particles in Dental Composite Used in Orthodontics. J Med Bacteriol. 2015 Oct;2(3-4):1-0.