Effect of Intracanal Post Space Treatments on Push-Out Bond Strength of Fiber Posts to Root Dentin
Objectives: The main disadvantage of fiber posts is their low bond strength to root canal wall. The aim of the present study was to assess the effect of different root canal post space treatments on push-out bond strength of fiber posts to root dentin.
Materials and Methods: After post space preparation in 40 endodontically treated human premolars, the teeth were randomly divided into four experimental groups: Group 1: control group, group 2: Endsolv R, group 3: ultrasonic cleaning, group 4: Clearfil Repair. Afterwards, the posts were bonded with Panavia F 2.0 bonding cement. The bond strength of fiber posts to root canal wall in the middle part of canal was evaluated following thermocycling using push-out test. Data were analyzed using one-way ANOVA and Tamhane’s multiple comparisons test. The failure mode of each group was determined under a stereomicroscope.
Results: There was a significant difference in the mean push-out bond strength among the groups (P<0.05). The lowest bond strength was noted in the control group. The control group had significant differences with ultrasonic and Clearfil Repair groups (P<0.05). The bond strength of Endsolv R group increased; however, it was not significant (P>0.05).
Conclusions: It seems that ultrasonic cleaning and Clearfil Repair can modify the root canal wall and significantly increase the bond strength of fiber posts.
Keywords: Post and Core Technique; Resin Cements; Root Canal Therapy
-Fouad A, Torabinejad M, Walton RE. Endodontics: principles and practice: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2008:287-297.
- Martinho FC, Carvalho CA, Oliveira LD, de Lacerda AJ, Xavier AC, Augusto MG, et al. Comparison of different dentin pretreatment protocols on the bond strength of glass fiber post using self-etching adhesive. J Endod. 2015 Jan;41 (1):83-7.
-Ferrari M, Vichi A, Mannocci F, Mason PN. Retrospective study of the clinical performance of fiber posts. Am J Dent. 2000 May;13(Spec No):9B-13B.
-Omrani LR, Yassini E, Mirzaei M, Abbasi M, Baniasad N, Kermanshah H. Laboratory assessment of fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth restored with three different post and core systems. J Islam Dent Assoc Iran 2012;24(2):2.
-Kaur J, Sharma N, Singh H. In vitro evaluation of glass fiber post. J Clin Exp Dent. 2012 Oct 1;4(4):e204-9.
- Faria-e-Silva AL, Mendonça AA, Garcez RM, Oliveira Ada S, Moreira AG, Moraes RR. Adhesion strategy and early bond strengths of glass-fiber posts luted into root canals. Braz Oral Res. 2012 Sep-Oct;26(5):485-7.
- Bouillaguet S, Troesch S, Wataha JC, Krejci I, Meyer JM, Pashley DH. Microtensile bond strength between adhesive cements and root canal dentin. Dent Mater. 2003 May;19(3):199-205.
-Aksornmuang J, Nakajima M, Senawongse P, Tagami J. Effects of C-factor and resin volume on the bonding to root canal with and without fibre post insertion. J Dent. 2011 Jun;39(6):422-9.
-Alves FR, Almeida BM, Neves MA, Moreno JO, Rôças IN, Siqueira Jr JF. Disinfecting oval-shaped root canals: effectiveness of different supplementary approaches. J Endod. 2011 Apr;37(4):496-501.
-Bitter K, Paris S, Martus P, Schartner R, Kielbassa A. A confocal laser scanning microscope investigation of different dental adhesives bonded to root canal dentine. Int Endod J. 2004 Dec;37(12):840-8.
-Zhang L, Huang L, Xiong Y, Fang M, Chen JH, Ferrari M. Effect of post‐space treatment on retention of fiber posts in different root regions using two self‐etching systems. Eur J Oral Sci. 2008 Jun;116(3):280-6.
- Lindblad RM, Lassila LV, Salo V, Vallittu PK, Tjäderhane L. Effect of chlorhexidine on initial adhesion of fiber-reinforced post to root canal. J Dent. 2010 Oct;38(10):796-801.
-Srirekha A, Rashmi K, Hegde J, Lekha S, Rupali K, Reshmi G. An in vitro evaluation of passive ultrasonic agitation of different irrigants on smear layer removal after post space preparation: A scanning electron microscopic study. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2013;13(3):240-6.
- Ounsi HF, Salameh Z, Aboushelib MN, Grandini S. Posh out bond strength of FRC posts using conventional and wet ethanol bonding systems: An ex-vivo study. Int dent S Afr. 2009;11:22-7.
-Alaghemand H, Mirzae M, Ahmadi E, Saidi A. Effect of different post-space pretreatments on fiber post bonding to root dentine. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2013 Jul;10(4):545-52.
- AlEisa K, Al-Dwairi Z, Lynch E, Lynch CD. In vitro evaluation of the effect of different endodontic sealers on retentive strength of fiber posts. Oper Dent. 2013 Sep-Oct;38(5):539-44.
-Ghanadan K, Ashnagar S, Omrani LR, Mirzaee M. Effect of different endodontic sealers on push-out bond strength of fiber posts. Braz J Oral Sci. 2015 Jun;14(2):166-70.
-Santana FR, Soares CJ, Ferreira JM, Valdivi AD, Souza JB, Estrela C. Effect of root canal sealer and artificial accelerated aging on ﬁbreglass post bond strength to intraradicular dentin. J Clin Exp Dent. 2014 Oct 1;6(4):e350-6.
-Mamootil K1, Messer HH. Penetration of dentinal tubules by endodontic sealer cements in extracted teeth and in vivo. Int Endod J. 2007 Nov;40(11):873-81.
- Aljubouri YD, Millett DT, Gilmour WH. Laboratory evaluation of a self‐etching primer for orthodontic bonding. Eur J Orthod. 2003 Aug;25(4): 411-5.
-Goracci C, Sadek FT, Monticelli F, Cardoso PE, Ferrari M. Influence of substrate, shape, and thickness on microtensile specimens' structural integrity and their measured bond strengths. Dent Mater. 2004 Sep;20(7):643-54.
- Toman M, Toksavul S, Sarıkanat M, Firidinoğlu K, Akın A. The evaluation of displacement resistance of glass FRC posts to root dentine using a thin slice push‐out test. Int Endod J. 2009 Sep;42(9):802-10.
- Pane ES, Palamara JE, Messer HH. Critical evaluation of the push-out test for root canal filling materials. J Endod. 2013 May;39(5):669-73.
- Scotti N, Forniglia A, Bergantin E, Paolino DS, Pasqualini D, Berutti E. Fibre post adaptation and bond strength in oval canals. Int Endod J. 2014 Apr;47(4):366-72.
-Vichi A, Grandini S, Davidson CL, Ferrari M. An SEM evaluation of several adhesive systems used for bonding fiber posts under clinical conditions. Dent Mater. 2002 Nov;18(7):495-502.
- Rathke A, Haj‐Omer D, Muche R, Haller B. Effectiveness of bonding fiber posts to root canals and composite core build‐ups. Eur J Oral Sci. 2009 Oct;117(5):604-10.
- Mozo S, Llena C, Chieffi N, Forner L, Ferrari M. Effectiveness of passive ultrasonic irrigation in improving elimination of smear layer and opening dentinal tubules. J Clin Exp Dent. 2014 Feb 1;6(1):e47-52.
- Weber CD, McClanahan SB, Miller GA, Diener-West M, Johnson JD. The effect of passive ultrasonic activation of 2% chlorhexidine or 5.25% sodium hypochlorite irrigant on residual antimicrobial activity in root canals. J Endod. 2003 Sep;29(9):562-4.
-Conde A. Estudo comparativo entre preparo cavitário ultrassônico e alta rotação. RGO. 2004;52(3):169-72.
- Lacerda AJ, Gullo MA, Xavier AC, Pucci CR, Carvalho CA, Huhtala MF. Influence of ultrasound and irrigant solutions on the bond strength of glass fiber posts to root canal dentine. Braz Dent Sci. 2013;16(1):53-8.
-Ramzi H, Shokouhinejad N, Saghiri MA, Samieefard A. Efficacy of three different methods in the retreatment of root canals filled with Resilon/Epiphany SE. Iran Endod J. 2010 Fall;5(4): 161-6.
- Hwang JI, Chuang AH, Sidow SJ, McNally K, Goodin JL, McPherson JC 3rd. The Effectiveness of Endodontic Solvents to Remove Endodontic Sealers. Mil Med. 2015 Mar;180(3 Suppl):92-5.
- Roberts S, Kim JR, Gu LS, Kim YK, Mitchell QM, Pashley DH, et al. The efficacy of different sealer removal protocols on bonding of self-etching adhesives to AH Plus–contaminated dentin. J Endod. 2009 Apr;35(4):563-7.
- Hemadri M, Saritha G, Rajasekhar V, Pachlag KA, Purushotham R, Reddy VK. Shear bond strength of repaired composites using surface treatments and repair materials: An in vitro Study. J Int Oral Health. 2014 Nov-Dec;6(6):22-5.
- Cavalcanti AN, De Lima AF, Peris AR, Mitsui FH, Marchi GM. Effect of surface treatments and bonding agents on the bond strength of repaired composites. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2007;19(2):90-8
- Langroudi AE, Yousefi AA, Kabiri K. Effect of Silane Coupling Agent on Interfacial Adhesion of Copper/Glass Fabric/Epoxy Com-posites. Iran Polym J. 2003;12(3):201-10.
- Tezvergil A1, Lassila LV, Vallittu PK. Composite–composite repair bond strength: effect of different adhesion primers. J Dent. 2003 Nov;31(8): 521-5.
- Maneenut C, Sakoolnamarka R, Tyas MJ. The repair potential of resin composite materials. Dent Mater. 2011 Feb;27(2):e20-7.