Flexural Strength of Polymethyl Methacrylate Repaired with Fiberglass
AbstractObjectives: The purpose of this experimental study was to discover a method to increase the strength of repaired polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) samples.Materials and Methods: In this experimental study, 40 specimens with the dimensions of 65×10×2.5mm3 were fabricated using heat-curing acrylic resin. Sixteen specimens were repaired with fiberglass and self-curing PMMA, while 16 samples were repaired with self-curing PMMA. Eight specimens were left intact as the control group. Afterwards, the flexural strengths of the repaired and intact specimens were measured by three-point bending test in a universal testing machine. Data were analyzed with one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Tukey's HSD and LSD tests. The level of significance was set at P<0.05.Results: The mean flexural strength of the samples repaired with fiberglass was higher than that of the other repaired samples. However, the difference was statistically significant only with respect to the Meliodent group (P=0.008).Conclusions: Impregnated fiberglass could be used in the repair of denture bases to improve the flexural strength. In terms of the fracture site, it can be concluded that the lower flexural strength of the auto-polymerizing acryl compared to that of the heat-curing type was the main reason for the occurrence of fractures, rather than the weak bond between heat-curing and auto-polymerizing acrylic resins.
- Krunić N, Kostić M, Anđelković M. Acrylic resins: Still irreplaceable materials in prosthetic dentistry. Acta Stomatol Naissi 2007;23(56):749-54.
- Phoenix RD, Mansueto MA, Ackerman NA, Jones RE. Evaluation of mechanical and thermal properties of commonly used denture base resins. J Prosthodont. 2004 Mar;13(1):17-27.
- Banerjee R, Banerjee S, Prabhudesai PS, Bhide SV. Influence of the processing technique on the flexural fatigue strength of denture base resins: an in vitro investigation. Indian J Dent Res. 2010 Jul-Sep;21(3):391-5.
- Diaz-Arnold AM, Vargas MA, Shaull KL, Laffoon JE, Qian F. Flexural and fatigue strengths of denture base resin. J Prosthet Dent. 2008 Jul;100(1):47-51.
- Meng TR Jr, Latta MA. Physical properties of four acrylic denture base resins. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2005 Nov 15;6(4):93-100.
- John J, Gangadhar SA, Shah I. Flexural strength of heat-polymerized polymethyl methacrylate denture resin reinforced with glass, aramid, or nylon fibers. J Prosthet Dent. 2001 Oct;86(4):424-7.
- Gutteridge DL. Reinforcement of poly(methyl methacrylate) with ultra-high-modulus polyethylene fibre. J Dent. 1992 Feb;20(1):50-54.
- Sodagar A, Bahador A, Khalil S, Shahroudi AS, Kassaee MZ. The effect of TiO2 and SiO2 nanoparticles on flexural strength of poly (methyl methacrylate) acrylic resins. J Prosthodont Res. 2013 Jan;57(1):15-9.
- Gad M, ArRejaie AS, Abdel-Halim MS, Rahoma A. The reinforcement effect of nano-zirconia on the transverse strength of repaired acrylic denture base. Int J Dent. 2016;2016:7094056.
- Darbar UR, Huggett R, Harrison A. Denture fracture--a survey. Br Dent J. 1994 May 7;176(9): 342-5.
- Gonda T, Maeda Y, Walton JN, MacEntee MI. Fracture incidence in mandibular overdentures retained by one or two implants. J Prosthet Dent. 2010 Mar;103(3):178-81.
- Rached RN, Powers JM, Del Bel Cury AA. Repair strength of auto polymerizing, microwave, and conventional heat-polymerized acrylic resins. J Prosthet Dent. 2004 Jul;92(1):79-82.
- Faot F, da Silva WJ, da Rosa RS, Del Bel Cury AA, Garcia RC. Strength of denture base resins repaired with auto‐ and visible light‐polymerized materials. J Prosthodont. 2009 Aug;18(6):496-502.
- Anasane N, Ahirrao Y, Chitnis D, Meshram S. The effect of joint surface contours and glass fiber reinforcement on the transverse strength of repaired acrylic resin: an in vitro study. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2013 Mar;10(2):214-9.
- Alkurt M, Yeşil Duymuş Z, Gundogdu M. Effect of repair resin type and surface treatment on the repair strength of heat-polymerized denture base resin. J Prosthet Dent. 2014 Jan;111(1):71-8.
- Meng GK, Chung KH, Fletcher-Stark ML, Zhang H. Effect of surface treatments and cyclic loading on the bond strength of acrylic resin denture teeth with auto polymerized repair acrylic resin. J Prosthet Dent. 2010 Apr;103(4):245-52.
- Golbidi F, Mousavi T. Transverse strength of repaired denture base material with wire and two auto polymerized acrylic resin. J Dent (Tehran). 2007; 4(4):183-7.
- Polyzois GL, Tarantili PA, Frangou MJ, Andereopoulos AG. Fracture force, deflection at fracture and toughness of repaired denture resin subjected to microwave polymerization or reinforced with wire or glass fiber. J Prosthet Dent. 2001;86(6):613-9.
- Mowade TK, Dange SP, Thakre MB, Kamble VD. Effect of fiber reinforcement on impact strength of heat-polymerized polymethyl methacrylate denture base resin: in vitro study and SEM analysis. J Adv Prosthodont. 2012 Feb 1;4(1):30-6.
- Kostoulas I, Kavoura VT, Frangou MJ, Polyzois GL. Fracture force, deflection, and toughness of acrylic denture repairs involving glass fiber reinforcement. J Prosthodont. 2008 Jun;17(4):257-61.
- Venkat R, Gopichander N, Vasantakumar M. Comprehensive analysis of repair/reinforcement materials for polymethyl methacrylate denture bases: mechanical and dimensional stability characteristics.
J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2013 Dec 1;13(4):439-49.
- Kamble VD, Parkhedkar RD, Mowade TK. The effect of different fiber reinforcements on flexural strength of provisional restorative resins: an in-vitro study. J Adv Prosthodont. 2012 Feb;4(1):1-6.
- Lin CT, Lee SY, Tsai TY, Dong DR, Shih YH. Degradation of repaired denture base materials in simulated oral fluid. J Oral Rehabil. 2000 Mar;27(3):190-8.
- Heidari B, Firouz F, Izadi A, Ahmadvand S, Radan P. Flexural strength of cold and heat cure acrylic resins reinforced with different materials. J Dent (Tehran). 2015 May;12(5):316-323.
- Yadav NS, Khare S, Mishra SK, Vyas R, Mahajan H, Chitumalla R. In-vitro evaluation of transverse strength of repaired heat cured denture base resins without surface treatment and with chemical and mechanical surface treatment. J Int Oral Health. 2015 Aug;7(8):89-92.
- Saidpour SH, Richardson MOW. Glass fibre coating for optimum mechanical properties of vinyl ester composites. Compos Part A Appl Sci Manuf 1997;28(11):971-5.
- Vallittu PK. Effect of 180-week water storage on the flexural properties of E-glass and silica fiber acrylic resin composite. Int J Prosthodont. 2000 Jul-Aug;13(4):334-9.
- Miettinen VM, Vallittu PK, Docent DT. Water sorption and solubility of glass fiber-reinforced denture polymethyl methacrylate resin. J Prosthet Dent. 1997 May;77(5):531-4.
- Minami H, Suzuki S, Kurashige H, Minesaki Y, Tanaka T. Flexural strengths of denture base resin repaired with auto polymerizing resin and reinforcements after thermocycle stressing. J Prosthodont. 2005 Mar;14(1):12-18.