Effect of Nd:YAG and Diode Lasers on Apical Seal of Root Canals Filled with AH Plus and Mineral Trioxide Aggregate-Based Sealers
AbstractObjectives: Laser irradiation, as an adjunct to root canal preparation, may increase the success rate of endodontic treatments. This study aimed to assess the effect of neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet (Nd:YAG) and diode lasers on the apical seal of the root canals filled with AH Plus® and mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA)-based sealers.Materials and Methods: This in-vitro experimental study was conducted on 96 single-rooted, single-canal extracted human teeth with closed apices. The root canals were prepared by using ProTaper® rotary instruments and were randomly divided into six groups (n=16): 940-nm diode laser and AH Plus® sealer (group 1), Nd:YAG laser and AH Plus® sealer (group 2), AH Plus® sealer (group 3), 940-nm diode laser and MTA-based sealer (group 4), Nd:YAG laser and MTA-based sealer (group 5), MTA-based sealer (group 6), as well as positive and negative control groups. A bacterial leakage model was used for microleakage assessment. Qualitative assessment was done by using a scanning electron microscope (SEM). Data were analyzed by two-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) at the significance level of 0.05.Results: There were statistically significant differences between the experimental and control groups (P=0.002). The laser-treated groups showed a lower apical microleakage compared to the non-laser-treated groups, although the difference was not statistically significant (P>0.05). No significant differences were noted between the two lasers in terms of the apical microleakage, irrespective of the type of sealer (P>0.05).Conclusions: Laser irradiation, as an adjunct to root canal preparation, has no significant effect on the level of apical microleakage.
- Todea C, Balabuc C, Sinescu C, Filip L, Kerezsi C, Calniceanu M, et al. En face optical coherence tomography investigation of apical microleakage after laser-assisted endodontic treatment. Lasers Med Sci. 2010 Sep;25(5):629-39.
- Onay EO, Orucoglu H, Kiremitci A, Korkmaz Y, Berk G. Effect of Er,Cr:YSGG laser irradiation on the apical sealing ability of AH Plus/gutta-percha and Hybrid Root Seal/Resilon Combinations. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010 Nov;110(5):657-64.
- Moura-Netto C, Guglielmi Cde A, Mello-Moura AC, Palo RM, Raggio DP, Caldeira CL. Nd:YAG laser irradiation effect on apical intracanal dentin - a microleakage and SEM evaluation. Braz Dent J. 2011;22(5):377-81.
- Moon YM, Kim HC, Bae KS, Baek SH, Shon WJ, Lee W. Effect of laser-activated irrigation of 1320-nanometer Nd:YAG laser on sealer penetration in curved root canals. J Endod. 2012 Apr;38(4):531-5.
- Medina FV, Souza-Neto MD, Carvalho-Junior JR, dos Santos HS, Mezzena MA, Garcia Lda F. In vitro study of the effect of Er:YAG laser irradiation on the apical sealing of different root canal sealers. J Appl Oral Sci. 2006 Aug;14(4):260-3.
- Montero-Miralles P, Castillo-Oyagüe R, Sáez de la Fuente I, Lynch CD, Castillo-Dalí G, Torres-Lagares D. Effect of the Nd:YAG laser on sealer penetration into root canal surfaces: a confocal microscope analysis. J Dent. 2014 Jun;42(6):753-9.
- Moura-Netto C, Palo RM, Camargo SE, Jent C, Leonardo Rde T, Marques MM. Influence of prior 810-nm-diode intracanal laser irradiation on hydrophilic resin-based sealer obturation. Braz Oral Res. 2012 Jul-Aug;26(4):323-9.
- de Moura-Netto C, de Freitas Carvalho C, de Moura AA, Davidowicz H, Antoniazzi JH. Influence of Nd:YAG and diode laser irradiation on apical sealing when associated with AH plus and EndoREZ endodontic cements. Photomed Laser Surg. 2007 Oct;25(5):413-7.
- Faria MI, Souza-Gabriel AE, Alfredo E, Messias DC, Silva-Sousa YT. Apical microleakage and SEM analysis of dentin surface after 980 nm diode laser irradiation. Braz Dent J. 2011;22(5):382-7.
- Razavian H, Barekatain B, Shadmehr E, Khatami M, Bagheri F, Heidari F. Bacterial leakage in root canals filled with resin-based and mineral trioxide aggregate-based sealers. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2014 Sep-Oct;11(5):599-603.
- Ioannidis K, Mistakidis I, Beltes P, Karagiannis V. Spectrophotometric analysis of crown discoloration induced by MTA- and ZnOE-based sealers. J Appl Oral Sci. 2013 Mar-Apr;21(2):138-44.
- Depraet FJ, De Bruyne MA, De Moor RJ. The sealing ability of an epoxy resin root canal sealer after Nd:YAG laser irradiation of the root canal. Int Endod J. 2005 May;38(5):302-9.
- Veríssimo DM, do Vale MS. Methodologies for assessment of apical and coronal leakage of endodontic filling materials: a critical review. J Oral Sci. 2006 Sep;48(3):93-8.
- Moura-Netto C, Mello-Moura AC, Palo RM, Prokopowitsch I, Pameijer CH, Marques MM. Adaptation and penetration of resin-based root canal sealers in root canals irradiated with high-intensity lasers. J Biomed Opt. 2015 Mar;20(3):038002.
- Lopes DS, Pessoa MA, Aguiar CM. Assessment of the Centralization of Root Canal Preparation with Rotary Systems. Acta Stomatol Croat. 2016 Sep;50(3):242-250.
- Rao DG, Trivedi MV, Havale R, Shrutha SP. New fluoride MI Varnish as root canal sealer: An in vitro analysis of bacterial leakage. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2016 Oct-Dec;34(4):359-63.
- Ahuja L, Jasuja P, Verma KG, Juneja S, Mathur A, Walia R, et al. A Comparative Evaluation of Sealing Ability of New MTA Based Sealers with Conventional Resin Based Sealer: An In-vitro Study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Jul;10(7):ZC76-ZC79.
- Alfredo E, Silva SR, Ozório JE, Sousa-Neto MD, Brugnera-Júnior A, Silva-Sousa YT. Bond strength of AH Plus and Epiphany sealers on root dentine irradiated with 980 nm diode laser. Int Endod J. 2008 Sep;41(9):733-40.
- Das M, Kumar GA, Ramesh S, Garapati S, Sharma D. An in vitro evaluation of microtensile bond strength of resin-based sealer with dentin treated with diode and Nd:YAG laser. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013 Mar 1;14(2):183-7.
- Goya C, Yamazaki R, Tomita Y, Kimura Y, Matsumoto K. Effects of pulsed Nd:YAG laser irradiation on smear layer at the apical stop and apical leakage after obturation. Int Endod J. 2000 May;33(3):266-71.
- Asawaworarit W, Yachor P, Kijsamanmith K, Vongsavan N. Comparison of the Apical Sealing Ability of Calcium Silicate-Based Sealer and Resin-Based Sealer Using the Fluid-Filtration Technique. Med Princ Pract. 2016 Sep;25(6):561-5.
- Sönmez IS, Oba AA, Sönmez D, Almaz ME. In vitro evaluation of apical microleakage of a new MTA-based sealer. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2012 Oct;13(5):252-5.
- Gandolfi MG, Prati C. MTA and F-doped MTA cements used as sealers with warm gutta-percha. Long-term study of sealing ability. Int Endod J. 2010 Oct;43(10):889-901.
- de Vasconcelos BC, Bernardes RA, Duarte MA, Bramante CM, Moraes IG. Apical sealing of root canal fillings performed with five different endodontic sealers: analysis by fluid filtration. J Appl Oral Sci. 2011 Jul-Aug;19(4):324-8.
- Jhingan P, Sandhu M, Jindal G, Goel D, Sachdev V. An in-vitro evaluation of the effect of 980 nm diode laser irradiation on intra-canal dentin surface and dentinal tubule openings after biomechanical preparation: Scanning electron microscopic study. Indian J Dent. 2015 Apr-Jun;6(2):85-90.
- Du T, Wang Z, Shen Y, Ma J, Cao Y, Haapasalo M. Combined antibacterial effect of sodium hypochlorite and root canal sealers against Enterococcus faecalis biofilms in dentin canals. J Endod. 2015 Aug;41(8):1294-8.
- Heyder M, Kranz S, Völpel A, Pfister W, Watts DC, Jandt KD, et al. Antibacterial effect of different root canal sealers on three bacterial species. Dent Mater. 2013 May;29(5):542-9.