Restoring a Partial Maxillectomy Patient by an Implant-Supported Obturator on Two Implants: A Case Report
This article describes the prosthetic treatment of a patient suffering from a hemimaxillary defect after surgical resection of an adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) in the palate. The patient had also received therapeutic irradiation. One year after radiotherapy, three implants were placed in the remaining maxillary bone without any bone augmentation. One of the implants failed during the osseointegration period. The implant replacing the failed one also failed during prosthetic procedures. The patient was unwilling to undergo another surgical episode, and the final prosthesis was completed on the two remaining implants.
- Parel SM, Branemark PI, Jansson T. Osseointegration in maxillofacial prosthetics. Part I: Intraoral applications. J Prosthet Dent. 1986 Apr;55(4):490-4.
- Andrades P, Militsakh O, Hanasono MM, Rieger J, Rosenthal EL. Current strategies in reconstruction of maxillectomy defects. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011 Aug;137(8):806-12.
- Buddula A, Assad DA, Salinas TJ, Garces YI, Volz JE, Weaver AL. Survival of dental implants in irradiated head and neck cancer patients: a retrospective analysis. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2012 Oct;14(5):716-22.
- Parliament M, Alidrisi M, Munroe M, Wolfaardt J, Scrimger R, Thompson H, et al. Implications of radiation dosimetry of the mandible in patients with carcinomas of the oral cavity and nasopharynx treated with intensity modulated radiation therapy. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005 Mar;34(2):114-21.
- Buddula A, Assad DA, Salinas TJ, Garces YI, Volz JE, Weaver AL. Survival of turned and roughened dental implants in irradiated head and neck cancer patients: a retrospective analysis. J Prosthet Dent. 2011 Nov;106(5):290-6.
- Heydecke G, Locker D, Awad MA, Lund JP, Feine JS. Oral and general health-related quality of life with conventional and implant dentures. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2003 Jun;31(3):161-8.
- Roumanas ED, Nishimura RD, Davis BK, Beumer J 3rd. Clinical evaluation of implants retaining edentulous maxillary obturator prostheses. J Prosthet Dent. 1997 Feb;77(2):184-90.
- Curtis TA, Beumer J. Restoration of acquired hard palate defects: Etiology, disability, and rehabilitation. In: Beumer J, Curtis TA, Firtell DN, eds. Maxillofacial Rehabilitation: Prosthodontic and Surgical Considerations. St. Louis: CV Mosby Co., 1979:188-243.
- Brogniez V, Lejuste P, Pecheur A, Reychler H. Dental prosthetic reconstruction of osseointegrated implants placed in irradiated bone. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1998 Jul-Aug;13(4):506-12.
- Eckert SE, Desjardins RP, Keller EE, Tolman DE. Endosseous implants in an irradiated tissue bed. J Prosthet Dent. 1996 Jul;76(1):45-9.
- Zwahlen RA, Grätz KW, Oechslin CK, Studer SP. Survival rate of zygomatic implants in atrophic or partially resected maxillae prior to functional loading: A retrospective clinical report. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2006 May-Jun;21(3):413-20.
- Mericske-Stern RD, Taylor TD, Belser U. Management of the edentulous patient. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2000;11 Suppl 1:108-25.
- Keiner P, Oetterli M, Mericske E, Mericske-Stern R. Effectiveness of maxillary overdentures supported by implants: maintenance and prosthetic complications. Int J Prosthodont. 2001 Mar-Apr;14(2):133-40.
- Ueda M, Hibino Y, Niimi A. Usefulness of dental implants in maxillofacial reconstruction. J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 1999;9(4):349-66.
- Sadowsky SJ. Treatment considerations for maxillary implant overdentures: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent. 2007 Jun;97(6):340-8.
- Goodacre CJ, Bernal G, Rungcharassaeng K, Kan JY. Clinical complications with implants and implant prostheses. J Prosthet Dent. 2003 Aug;90(2):121-32.
- Feine JS, Carlsson GE, Awad MA, Chehade A, Duncan WJ, Gizani S, et al. The McGill consensus statement on overdentures. Mandibular two-implant overdentures as first choice standard of care for edentulous patients. Gerodontology. 2002 Jul;19(1):3-4.
- Osman RB, Payne AG, Ma S. Prosthodontic maintenance of maxillary implant overdentures: a systematic literature review. Int J Prosthodont. 2012 Jul-Aug;25(4):381-91.
- Thomason JM, Kelly SA, Bendkowski A, Ellis JS. Two implant retained overdentures--a review of the literature supporting the McGill and York consensus statements. J Dent. 2012 Jan;40(1):22-34.
- Fitzpatrick B. Standard of care for the edentulous
mandible: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent. 2006
- Liddelow G, Henry P. The immediately loaded single implant-retained mandibular overdenture: a 36-month prospective study. Int J Prosthodont. 2010 Jan-Feb;23(1):13-21.
- Pan S, Dagenais M, Thomason JM, Awad M, Emami E, Kimoto S, et al. Does mandibular edentulous bone height affect prosthetic treatment success? J Dent. 2010 Nov;38(11):899-907.
- Beyabanaki E, Shamshiri AR, Alikhasi M, Monzavi A. Effect of Splinting on Dimensional Accuracy of Impressions Made of Implants with Different Subgingival Alignments. J Prosthodont. 2017 Jan;26(1):48-55.
- Leles CR, Leles JL, de Paula Souza C, Martins RR, Mendonça EF. Implant-supported obturator overdenture for extensive maxillary resection patient: a clinical report. J Prosthodont. 2010 Apr;19(3):240-4.
- Grossmann Y, Levin L. Success and survival of single dental implants placed in sites of previously failed implants. J Periodontol. 2007 Sep;78(9):1670-4.
- Taylor TD. Clinical Maxillofacial Prosthetics. Chicago, IL, USA: Quintessence Publishing Co., 2000:99.
- Dudley J. The 2-implant maxillary overdenture: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2014 Aug;112(2):104-7.
- Uludag B, Polat S, Sahin V, Çomut AA. Effects of implant angulations and attachment configurations on the retentive forces of locator attachment-retained overdentures. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014 Sep-Oct;29(5):1053-7.
- Stephens GJ, di Vitale N, O'Sullivan E, McDonald A. The influence of interimplant divergence on the retention characteristics of locator attachments, a laboratory study. J Prosthodont. 2014 Aug;23(6):467-75.
- Shrestha B, Hughes ER, Singh RK, Suwal P, Parajuli PK, Shrestha P, et al. Fabrication of Closed Hollow Bulb Obturator Using Thermoplastic Resin Material. Case Rep Dent. 2015;2015:504561.
- Deogade SC, Mantri SS, Naitam D, Dube G, Gupta P, Dewangan A. A direct investment method of closed two-piece hollow bulb obturator. Case Rep Dent. 2013;2013:326530.