Effect of Quaternary Ammonium Salt on Shear Bond Strength of Orthodontic Brackets to Enamel
Objectives: This study sought to assess the effect of quaternary ammonium salt (QAS) on shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets to enamel.
Materials and Methods: In this in vitro experimental study, 0, 10, 20 and 30% concentrations of QAS were added to Transbond XT primer. Brackets were bonded to 60 premolar teeth using the afore-mentioned adhesive mixtures, and the shear bond strength of the four groups (n=15) was measured using a universal testing machine. After debonding, the adhesive remnant index (ARI) score was determined under a stereomicroscope. Data were analyzed using one-way ANOVA.
Results: The mean and standard deviation of shear bond strength of the control and 10%, 20% and 30% groups were 23.54±6.31, 21.81±2.82, 20.83±8.35 and 22.91±5.66 MPa, respectively. No significant difference was noted in shear bond strength of the groups (P=0.83). Study groups were not different in terms of ARI scores (P=0.80).
Conclusions: The results showed that addition of QAS to Transbond XT primer had no adverse effect on shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets.
- Bishara SE, Ajlouni R, Soliman MM, Oonsombats C, Laffoon JF, Warren J. Evaluation of a new nano-filled restorative material for bonding orthodontic brackets. World J Orthod. 2007 Spring;8(1):8-12.
- Van Waveren Hogervorst WL, Feilzer AJ, Prahl-Andersen B. The air-abrasion technique versus the conventional acid-etching technique: A quantification of surface enamel loss and a comparison of shear bond strength. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2000 Jan;117(1):20-6.
- Powers JM, Kim HB, Turner DS, editors. Orthodontic adhesives and bond strength testing. Semin Orthod. Elsevier; 1997 Sep;3(3):147-56.
- Brantley WA, Eliades T. Orthodontic materials: scientific and clinical aspects: J Orthod. 2002;29(1):75.
- Kukleva MP, Shetkova DG, Beev VH. Comparative age study of the risk of demineralization during orthodontic treatment with brackets. Folia Med (Plovdiv). 2002;44(1-2):56-9.
- Zhou H, Li F, Weir MD, Xu HH. Dental plaque microcosm response to bonding agents containing quaternary ammonium methacrylates with different chain lengths and charge densities. J Dent. 2013 Nov;41(11):1122-31.
- Cheng L, Zhang K, Melo MA, Weir MD, Zhou X, Xu HH. Anti-biofilm dentin primer with quaternary ammonium and silver nanoparticles. J Dent Res. 2012 Jun;91(6):598-604.
- Beyth N, Yudovin-Farber I, Bahir R, Domb AJ, Weiss EI. Antibacterial activity of dental composites containing quaternary ammonium polyethylenimine nanoparticles against Streptococcus mutans. Biomaterials. 2006 Jul;27(21):3995-4002.
- Li F, Weir MD, Chen J, Xu HH. Comparison of quaternary ammonium-containing with nano-silver-containing adhesive in antibacterial properties and cytotoxicity. Dent Mater. 2013 Apr;29(4):450-61.
- Ma S, Niu L, Li F, Fang M, Zhang L, Tay FR, et al. Adhesive materials with bioprotective/ biopromoting functions. Curr Oral Health Rep. 2014 Dec;1(4):213-21.
- De Munck J, Van Landuyt K, Coutinho E, Poitevin A, Peumans M, Lambrechts P, et al. Micro-tensile bond strength of adhesives bonded to Class-I cavity-bottom dentin after thermo-cycling. Dent Mater. 2005 Nov;21(11):999-1007.
- Oliver RG, Pal AD. Distortion of edgewise orthodontic brackets associated with methods of debonding. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1989 Jul;96(1):65-71.
- Sudjalim TR, Woods MG, Manton DJ. Prevention of white spot lesions in orthodontic practice: a contemporary review. Aust Dent J. 2006 Dec;51(4):284-9.
- Mota SM, Enoki C, Ito IY, Elias AM, Matsumoto MA. Streptococcus mutans counts in plaque adjacent to orthodontic brackets bonded with resin-modified glass ionomer cement or resin-based composite. Braz Oral Res. 2008 Jan-Mar;22(1):55-60.
- Mirhashemi A, Bahador A, Kassaee M, Daryakenari G, Ahmad-Akhoundi M, Sodagar A. Antimicrobial effect of nano-zinc oxide and nano-chitosan particles in dental composite used in orthodontics. J Med Bacteriol. 2015 Oct;2(3-4):1-0.
- Hajrassie MK, Khier SE. In-vivo and in-vitro comparison of bond strengths of orthodontic brackets bonded to enamel and debonded at various times. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007 Mar;131(3):384-90.
- Cozza P, Martucci L, De Toffol L, Penco SI. Shear bond strength of metal brackets on enamel. Angle Orthod. 2006 Sep;76(5):851-6.
- Cheng L, Weir MD, Zhang K, Arola DD, Zhou X, Xu HH. Dental primer and adhesive containing a new antibacterial quaternary ammonium monomer dimethylaminododecyl methacrylate. J Dent. 2013 Apr;41(4):345-55.
- Zhang K, Melo MA, Cheng L, Weir MD, Bai Y, Xu HH. Effect of quaternary ammonium and silver nanoparticle-containing adhesives on dentin bond strength and dental plaque microcosm biofilms. Dent Mater. 2012 Aug;28(8):842-52.
- Sodagar A, Bahador A, Pourhajibagher M, Ahmadi B, Baghaeian P. Effect of Addition of Curcumin Nanoparticles on Antimicrobial Property and Shear Bond Strength of Orthodontic Composite to Bovine Enamel. J Dent (Tehran). 2016 Sep;13(5):373-382.
- Poosti M, Ramazanzadeh B, Zebarjad M, Javadzadeh P, Naderinasab M, Shakeri MT. Shear bond strength and antibacterial effects of orthodontic composite containing TiO2 nanoparticles. Eur J Orthod. 2013 Oct;35(5):676-9.
- Akhavan A, Sodagar A, Mojtahedzadeh F, Sodagar K. Investigating the effect of incorporating nanosilver/nanohydroxyapatite particles on the shear bond strength of orthodontic adhesives. Acta Odontol Scand. 2013 Sep;71(5):1038-42.
- Van Meerbeek B, Peumans M, Poitevin A, Mine A, Van Ende A, Neves A, et al. Relationship between bond-strength tests and clinical outcomes. Dent Mater. 2010 Feb;26(2):e100-21.