Evaluation of the Prevalence of Mucous Retention Pseudocyst and its Correlation with the Associated Risk Factors Using Panoramic Radiography and Cone-Beam Computed Tomography
AbstractObjectives: Mucous retention pseudocyst (MRP) of the maxillary sinus is an incidental finding on radiographs. The radiographs taken for dental purposes provide an opportunity for dentists to recognize asymptomatic maxillary sinus anomalies. The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of MRP on panoramic and cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) views and to evaluate the associated risk factors.Materials and Methods: In this study, 710 panoramic radiographs and 90 CBCT scans were examined with regard to the presence of MRP in the maxillary sinus during 2014-15. The MRP prevalence and some associated risk factors such as age, gender, season, smoking, allergy, asthma, chronic sinusitis, nasal polyp, mucosal thickening, and post-nasal drip (PND) were evaluated.Results: The frequency of MRP was 2.4% on the 710 evaluated panoramic images and 43.3% on the 90 evaluated CBCT views. The frequency of MRP on the panoramic and CBCT views was higher in males than in females. There was a significant association between smoking and MRP on panoramic images (P=0.02) and CBCT views (P<0.001). There was a significant association between PND and MRP on CBCT views (P=0.02). The highest frequency of MRP was seen in spring (P=0.04) according to panoramic radiographs and in spring and summer (P=0.001) according to CBCT views.Conclusions: The occurrence of MRP had a significant association with smoking and PND, and the highest frequency of MRP was detected in spring and summer. Also, CBCT scanning detects MRP more accurately than panoramic radiography.
- White SC, Pharoah MJ. Oral Radiology: Principles and Interpretation. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby/Elsevier, 2014:472.
- Mafee MF, Valvassori GE, Becker M. Imaging of the Head and Neck. New York, Stuttgart, Thieme, 2005:406.
- Allard RH, van der Kwast WA, van der Waal I. Mucosal antral cysts. Review of the literature and report of a radiographic survey. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1981 Jan;51(1):2-9.
- Casamassimo PS, Lilly GE. Mucosal cysts of the maxillary sinus: a clinical and radiographic study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1980 Sep;50(3):282-6.
- Gothberg KA, Little JW, King DR, Bean LR. A clinical study of cysts arising from mucosa of the maxillary sinus. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1976 Jan;41(1):52-8.
- Harar RP, Chadha NK, Rogers G. Are maxillary mucosal cysts a manifestation of inflammatory sinus disease? J Laryngol Otol. 2007 Aug;121(8):751-4.
- Myall RW, Eastep PB, Silver JG. Mucous retention cysts of the maxillary antrum. J Am Dent Assoc. 1974 Dec;89(6):1338-42.
- Rhodus NL. A comparison of periapical and panoramic radiographic surveys in the diagnosis of maxillary sinus mucous retention cysts. Compendium. 1989 May;10(5):275-7, 280-1.
- Moskow BS. A histomorphologic study of the effects of periodontal inflammation on the maxillary sinus mucosa. J Periodontol. 1992 Aug;63(8):674-81.
- Ruprecht A, Batniji S, El-Neweihi E. Mucous retention cyst of the maxillary sinus. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 1986 Dec;62(6):728-31.
- Donizeth-Rodrigues C, Fonseca-Da Silveira M, Goncalves-De Alencar AH, Garcia-Santos-Silva MA, Francisco-De-Mendonca E, Estrela C. Three-dimensional images contribute to the diagnosis of mucous retention cyst in maxillary sinus. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2013 Jan 1;18(1):e151-7.
- Rodrigues CD, Freire GF, Silva LB, Fonseca da Silveira MM, Estrela C. Prevalence and risk factors of mucous retention cysts in a Brazilian population. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2009 Oct;38(7):480-3.
- Nemati S, Mohtavipour ST, Vadiati Saberi B, Mirkhani SMH, PourHabibi Z. Frequency of the Maxillary Sinus Mucous Retention Cyst in Digital Panoramic Radiographs of the Patients attending to the Dental Faculty of Rasht during 2012-2013. J Mash Dent Sch. 2014;38(4):363-74.
- Abesi F, Mirshekar A, Babaee N, Heidari H, Mohammadzadeh I. Prevalence of Mucous Retention Cysts of Maxillary Sinus in Panoramic Radiography. J Babol Univ Med Sci. 2013 Jan;15(3):103-7.
- ImaniMoghaddam M, Bagherpour A, AhmadianYazdi A, Qmarci N. Prevalence and some associated risk factors of maxillary sinus mucous retention cyst in panoramic view of patients referred to radiology department of Mashhad Dental School-Iran 2007. J Mash Dent Sch. 2009 Summer;33(2):89-96.
- Wang JH, Jang YJ, Lee BJ. Natural course of retention cysts of the maxillary sinus: long-term follow-up results. Laryngoscope. 2007 Feb;117(2):341-4.
- Kasper DL, Fauci AS, Hauser SL, Longo DL, Jameson JL, Loscalzo J. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. New York, McGraw-Hill Education/Medical, 2015:381.
- Meymane Jahromi A, Shahabi Pour A. The Epidemiological and Clinical Aspects of Nasal Polyps that Require Surgery. Iran J Otorhinolaryngol. 2012 Spring;24(67):75-78.
- Rice DH. Endoscopic sinus surgery. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 1993 Aug;26(4):613-8.
- van den Bergh JP, ten Bruggenkate CM, Disch FJ, Tuinzing DB. Anatomical aspects of sinus floor elevations. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2000 Jun;11(3):256-65.
- Borgonovo AE, Berardinelli FV, Favale M, Maiorana C. Surgical options in oroantral fistula treatment. Open Dent J. 2012 Jun;6:94-8.