Comparison of Short and Standard Implants in the Posterior Mandible: A 3D Analysis Using Finite Element Method
AbstractObjectives: This study aimed to analyze functional stresses around short and long implant-supported prostheses with different crown heights.Materials and Methods: Four three-dimensional (3D) models were designed with SolidWorks 2015. In models 1 (control) and 2, three dental implants (second premolar 4.1x8 mm, molars: 4.8x8 mm) were placed. In models 3 and 4, three dental implants (second premolar 4.1x4 mm, molars: 4.8x4) were placed. Residual bone height was 10 mm in groups 1 and 2 (grafted bone) models and 6 mm in groups 3 and 4. The crown heights were modeled at 11.5 mm for groups 1 to 3, and 15 mm for group 4. The applied oblique force was 220 N to simulate chewing movements. The maximum von Mises and principal stresses on the implants and the supporting tissues were compared using the 3D finite element method.Results: In all models, the highest stress value was seen within the most coronal part of bone (crestal bone), which was cortical or grafted bone. The highest stress values in the bone supporting the implant neck were seen in the premolar region of each model, especially in model 4 (291.16 MPa). The lowest stress values were demonstrated in the molar region of model 3 (48.066 MPa). The model 2 implants showed the highest von Mises stress concentrated at their neck (424.44 MPa).Conclusions: In atrophic posterior mandible with increased crown height space, short implants with wider diameter seem to be a more feasible approach compared to grafting methods.
- Lemos CA, Ferro-Alves ML, Okamoto R, Mendonça MR, Pellizzer EP. Short dental implants versus standard dental implants placed in the posterior jaws: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent. 2016 Apr;47:8-17.
- Lee SA, Lee CT, Fu MM, Elmisalati W, Chuang SK. Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials for the management of limited vertical height in the posterior region: short implants (5 to 8 mm) vs longer implants (> 8 mm) in vertically augmented sites. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014 Sep;29(5):1085-97.
- Nisand D, Renouard F. Short implant in limited bone volume. Periodontol 2000. 2014 Oct;66(1):72-96.
- Slotte C, Grønningsaeter A, Halmøy AM, Öhrnell LO, Stroh G, Isaksson S, et al. Four-millimeter implants supporting fixed partial dental prostheses in the severely resorbed posterior mandible: two-year results. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2012 May;14(s1):e46-58.
- Kim S, Kim S, Choi H, Woo D, Park YB, Shim JS, et al. A three-dimensional finite element analysis of short dental implants in the posterior maxilla. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014 Mar-Apr;29(2):e155-64.
- Seker E, Ulusoy M, Ozan O, Doğan DÖ, Seker BK. Biomechanical effects of different fixed partial denture designs planned on bicortically anchored short, graft-supported long, or 45-degree-inclined long implants in the posterior maxilla: a three-dimensional finite element analysis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014 Jan-Feb;29(1):e1-9.
- Toniollo MB, Macedo AP, Rodrigues RC, Ribeiro RF, Mattos Mda G. Three-dimensional finite element analysis of the stress distribution on morse taper implants surface. J Prosthodont Res. 2013 Jul;57(3):206-12.
- Esposito M, Pistilli R, Barausse C, Felice P. Three-year results from a randomized controlled trial comparing prostheses supported by 5-mm long implants or by longer implants in augmented bone in posterior atrophic edentulous jaws. Eur J Oral Implantol. 2014 Winter;7(4):383-95.
- das Neves FD, Fones D, Bernardes SR, do Prado CJ, Neto AJ. Short implants--an analysis of longitudinal studies. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2006 Jan-Feb;21(1):86-93.
- Ramos Verri F, Santiago Junior JF, de Faria Almeida DA, de Oliveira GB, de Souza Batista VE, Marques Honório H, et al. Biomechanical influence of crown-to-implant ratio on stress distribution over internal hexagon short implant: 3-D finite element analysis with statistical test. J Biomech. 2015 Jan;48(1):138-45.
- Anitua E, Alkhraist MH, Piñas L, Begoña L, Orive G. Implant survival and crestal bone loss around extra-short implants supporting a fixed denture: the effect of crown height space, crown-to-implant ratio, and offset placement of the prosthesis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014 May-Jun;29(3):682-9.
- Lekholm, U, Zarb GA. Patient selection and preparation, in tissue-integrated prostheses: Osseointegration in clinical dentistry. Chicago, Quintessence,1985:199-209.
- Elnayef B, Monje A, Gargallo-Albiol J, Galindo-Moreno P, Wang HL, Hernández-Alfaro F. Vertical ridge augmentation in the atrophic mandible: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2017 Mar/Apr;32(2):291-312.
- Kermanshah H, Bitaraf T, Geramy A. Finite element analysis of IPS Empress II ceramic bridge reinforced by zirconia bar. J Dent (Tehran). 2012 Fall;9(4):196-203.
- de Moraes SL, Verri FR, Santiago JF Jr, Almeida DA, de Mello CC, Pellizzer EP. A 3D finite element study of the influence of crown-implant ratio on stress distribution. Braz Dent J. 2013 Nov-Dec;24(6):635-41.
- Moraes SL, Pellizzer EP, Verri FR, Santiago JF Jr, Silva JV. Three-dimensional finite element analysis of stress distribution in retention screws of different crown-implant ratios. Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin. 2015 May;18(7):689-96.
- Blanes RJ. To what extent does the crown-implant ratio affect the survival and complications of implant-supported reconstructions? A systematic review. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2009 Sep;20 Suppl 4:67-72.
- Rokni S, Todescan R, Watson P, Pharoah M, Adegbembo AO, Deporter D. An assessment of crown-to-root ratios with short sintered porous-surfaced implants supporting prostheses in partially edentulous patients. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2005 Jan-Feb;20(1):69-76.
- Schulte J, Flores AM, Weed M. Crown-to-implant ratios of single tooth implant-supported restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 2007 Jul;98(1):1-5.
- Urdaneta RA, Rodriguez S, McNeil DC, Weed M, Chuang SK. The effect of increased crown-to-implant ratio on single-tooth locking-taper implants. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2010 Jul-Aug;25(4):729-43.
- Papavasiliou G, Kamposiora P, Bayne SC, Felton DA. Three-dimensional finite element analysis of stress-distribution around single tooth implants as a function of bony support, prosthesis type, and loading during function. J Prosthet Dent. 1996 Dec;76(6):633-40.
- Reilly DT, Burstein AH. The elastic and ultimate properties of compact bone tissue. J Biomech. 1975;8(6):393-405.
- Huang HL, Fuh LJ, Hsu JT, Tu MG, Shen YW, Wu CL. Effects of implant surface roughness and stiffness of grafted bone on an immediately loaded maxillary implant: a 3D numerical analysis. J Oral Rehabil. 2008 Apr;35(4):283-90.
- Schuller-Götzburg P, Entacher K, Petutschnigg A, Pomwenger W, Watzinger F. Sinus elevation with a cortical bone graft block: a patient-specific three-dimensional finite element study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2012 Mar-Apr;27(2):359-68.
- Fanuscu MI, Vu HV, Poncelet B. Implant biomechanics in grafted sinus: a finite element analysis. J Oral Implantol. 2004;30(2):59-68.