Effect of Intracanal Irrigants on Coronal Fracture Resistance of Endodontically Treated Teeth Undergoing Combined Bleaching Protocol: An In Vitro Study
Objectives: Irrigation plays a critical role in endodontic treatment. Various single and combined irrigants and irrigation protocols are available. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of some common irrigation protocols on the coronal fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth undergoing bleaching.
Materials and Methods: After preparation of access cavities in 120 maxillary premolars, the teeth were divided into five groups (n=24) based on the irrigation protocol; G1:2.5% sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), G2: 2% chlorhexidine (CHX), G3: NaOCl+CHX, G4: NaOCl+ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA), G5: NaOCl+EDTA+CHX. Each group was subdivided into 2 subgroups of A: non-bleached (NB) and B: bleached (B). In subgroup B, the teeth underwent in-office and at-home bleaching techniques using 38% hydrogen peroxide and 20% carbamide peroxide gels for 3 weeks. The teeth were restored with composite resin, thermocycled, incubated for 24 hours, and underwent fracture resistance tests. Data were analyzed with one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and t-test (α=0.05).
Results: T-test showed significant differences between every two corresponding groups (P<0.0001). In subgroup A, the minimum fracture resistance was recorded in G1. Also, G2 specimens exhibited a significantly higher fracture resistance compared to G1, G4, and G5. In subgroup B, G2 specimens exhibited a significantly higher fracture resistance compared to G1 and G4 that were irrigated using NaOCl and NaOCl+EDTA.
Conclusions: It can be concluded that irrigation protocols can affect the coronal fracture resistance of bleached endodontically treated teeth, and specific irrigation protocols can be recommended for teeth undergoing bleaching.
- Nair PN. On the causes of persistent apical periodontitis: a review. Int Endod J. 2006 Apr;39(4):249-81.
- Cintra LT, Watanabe S, Samuel RO, da Silva Facundo AC, de Azevedo Queiroz IO, Dezan-Júnior E, et al. The use of NaOCl in combination with CHX produces cytotoxic product. Clin Oral Investig. 2014 Apr;18(3):935-40.
- Kishen A. Mechanisms and risk factors for fracture predilection in endodontically treated teeth. Endod Topics. 2006 Mar;13(1):57-83.
- Grigoratos D, Knowles J, Ng YL, Gulabivala K. Effect of exposing dentine to sodium hypochlorite and calcium hydroxide on its flexural strength and elastic modulus. Int Endod J. 2001 Mar;34(2):113-9.
- Goldsmith M, Gulabivala K, Knowles JC. The effect of sodium hypochlorite irrigant concentration on tooth surface strain. J Endod. 2002 Aug;28(8):575-9.
- Saleh AA, Ettman WM. Effect of endodontic irrigation solutions on microhardness of root canal dentine. J Dent. 1999 Jan;27(1):43-6.
- Di Renzo M, Ellis TH, Sacher E, Stangel I. A photoacoustic FTIRS study of the chemical modifications of human dentin surfaces: I. Demineralization. Biomaterials. 2001 Apr;22(8):787-92.
- Di Renzo M, Ellis TH, Sacher E, Stangel I. A photoacoustic FTIRS study of the chemical modifications of human dentin surfaces: II. Deproteination. Biomaterials. 2001 Apr;22(8):793-7.
- Baumgartner JC, Mader CL. A scanning electron microscopic evaluation of four root canal irrigation regimens. J Endod. 1987 Apr;13(4):147-57.
- Haapasalo M, Shen Y, Qian W, Gao Y. Irrigation in endodontics. Dent Clin North Am. 2010 Apr;54(2):291-312.
- Ahmed HM, Abbott PV. Discolouration potential of endodontic procedures and materials: a review. Int Endod J. 2012 Oct;45(10):883-97.
- Vivacqua-Gomes N, Ferraz CC, Gomes BP, Zaia AA, Teixeira FB, Souza-Filho FJ. Influence of irrigants on the coronal microleakage of laterally condensed gutta-percha root fillings. Int Endod J. 2002 Sep;35(9):791-5.
- Basrani BR, Manek S, Sodhi RN, Fillery E, Manzur A. Interaction between sodium hypochlorite and chlorhexidine gluconate. J Endod. 2007 Aug;33(8):966-9.
- Rasimick BJ, Nekich M, Hladek MM, Musikant BL, Deutsch AS. Interaction between chlorhexidine digluconate and EDTA. J Endod. 2008 Dec;34(12):1521-3.
- Gonzalez-Lopez S, Camejo-Aguilar D, Sanchez-Sanchez P, Bolanos-Carmona V. Effect of CHX on the decalcifying effect of 10% citric acid, 20% citric acid, or 17% EDTA. J Endod. 2006 Aug;32(8):781-4.
- Roberto AR, Sousa-Neto MD, Viapiana R, Giovani AR, Souza Filho CB, Paulino SM, et al. Effect of different restorative procedures on the fracture resistance of teeth submitted to internal bleaching. Braz Oral Res. 2012 Jan-Feb;26(1):77-82.
- Barghi N. Making a clinical decision for vital tooth bleaching: at-home or in-office? Compend Contin Educ Dent. 1998 Aug;19(8):831-8.
- Leonard RH Jr, Bentley C, Eagle JC, Garland GE, Knight MC, Phillips C. Nightguard vital bleaching: a long-term study on efficacy, shade retention, side effects, and patients' perceptions. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2001;13(6):357-69.
- Plotino G, Buono L, Grande NM, Pameijer CH, Somma F. Nonvital tooth bleaching: a review of the literature and clinical procedures. J Endod. 2008 Apr;34(4):394-407.
- Mahler DB. Research on dental amalgam: 1982-1986. Adv Dent Res. 1988 Aug;2(1):71-82.
- Indira MD, Nandlal B. Comparative evaluation of the effect of cavity disinfectants on the fracture resistance of primary molars restored with indirect composite inlays: an in vitro study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2010 Oct-Dec;28(4):258-63.
- Pobbe Pde O, Viapiana R, Souza-Gabriel AE, Marchesan MA, Sousa-Neto MD, Silva-Sousa YT, et al. Coronal resistance to fracture of endodontically treated teeth submitted to light-activated bleaching. J Dent. 2008 Nov;36(11):935-9.
- Bonfante G, Kaizer OB, Pegoraro LF, do Valle AL. Fracture resistance and failure pattern of teeth submitted to internal bleaching with 37% carbamide peroxide, with application of different restorative procedures. J Appl Oral Sci. 2006 Aug;14(4):247-52.
- Radcliffe CE, Potouridou L, Qureshi R, Habahbeh N, Qualtrough A, Worthington H, et al. Antimicrobial activity of varying concentrations of sodium hypochlorite on the endodontic microorganisms Actinomyces israelii, A. naeslundii, Candida albicans and Enterococcus faecalis. Int Endod J. 2004 Jul;37(7):438-46.
- Gomes BP, Souza SF, Ferraz CC, Teixeira FB, Zaia AA, Valdrighi L, et al. Effectiveness of 2% chlorhexidine gel and calcium hydroxide against Enterococcus faecalis in bovine root dentine in vitro. Int Endod J. 2003 Apr;36(4):267-75.
- Scelza MF, Pierro V, Scelza P, Pereira M. Effect of three different time periods of irrigation with EDTA-T, EDTA, and citric acid on smear layer removal. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004 Oct;98(4):499-503.
- Heling I, Chandler NP. Antimicrobial effect of irrigant combinations within dentinal tubules. Int Endod J. 1998 Jan;31(1):8-14.
- Uyehara MY, Davis RD, Overton JD. Cuspal reinforcement in endodontically treated molars. Oper Dent. 1999 Nov-Dec;24(6):364-70.
- Rossi-Fedele G, Doğramacı EJ, Guastalli AR, Steier L, de Figueiredo JA. Antagonistic interactions between sodium hypochlorite, chlorhexidine, EDTA, and citric acid. J Endod. 2012 Apr;38(4):426-31.
- Khademi A, Feizianfard M. The effect of EDTA and citric acid on smear layer removal of mesial canals of first mandibular molars, a scanning electron microscopic study. J Res Med Sci. 2004 Apr;9(2):80-8.
- Wagner MH, da Rosa RA, de Figueiredo JAP, Duarte MAH, Pereira JR, Só MVR. Final irrigation protocols may affect intraradicular dentin ultrastructure. Clin Oral Investig. 2017 Sep;21(7):2173-2182.
- Buck RA, Eleazer PD, Staat RH, Scheetz JP. Effectiveness of three endodontic irrigants at various tubular depths in human dentin. J Endod. 2001 Mar;27(3):206-8.
- Zamany A, Safavi K, Spångberg LS. The effect of chlorhexidine as an endodontic disinfectant. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2003 Nov;96(5):578-81.
- Sulieman M. An overview of tooth discoloration: extrinsic, intrinsic and internalized stains. Dent Update. 2005 Oct;32(8): 463-4, 466-8, 471.
- Jhamb S, Nikhil V, Singh V. Effect of sealers on fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth with and without smear layer removal: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent. 2009 Jul-Sep;12(3):114-7.
- Prabhakar AR, Hadakar SG, Raju OS. Comparative evaluation of pH and antibacterial effect of various calcium hydroxide combinations on E. faecalis and its effect on root strength: An in vitro study. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012 Jan;3(1):42-7.
- Arslan H, Barutcigil C, Karatas E, Topcuoglu HS, Yeter KY, Ersoy I, et al. Effect of citric acid irrigation on the fracture resistance of endodontically treated roots. Eur J Dent. 2014 Jan-Mar;8(1):74-8.
- Marshall GW Jr, Balooch M, Kinney JH, Marshall SJ. Atomic force microscopy of conditioning agents on dentin. J Biomed Mater Res. 1995 Nov;29(11):1381-7.
- Leitune VC, Portella FF, Bohn PV, Collares FM, Samuel SM. Influence of chlorhexidine application on longitudinal adhesive bond strength in deciduous teeth. Braz Oral Res. 2011 Sep-Oct;25(5):388-92.
- Ertas H, Ok E, Uysal B, Arslan H. Effects of different irrigating solutions and disinfection methods on push-out bond strengths of fiber posts. Acta Odontol Scand. 2014 Nov1;72(8):783-7.
- Yu W, Guo K, Zhang B, Weng W. Fracture resistance of endodontically treated premolars restored with lithium disilicate CAD/CAM crowns or onlays and luted with two luting agents. Dent Mater J. 2014;33(3):349-54.
- Beltz RE, Torabinejad M, Pouresmail M. Quantitative analysis of the solubilizing action of MTAD, sodium hypochlorite, and EDTA on bovine pulp and dentin. J Endod. 2003 May;29(5):334-7.
- Basting RT, Amaral FL, França FM, Flório FM. Clinical comparative study of the effectiveness of and tooth sensitivity to 10% and 20% carbamide peroxide home-use and 35% and 38% hydrogen peroxide in-office bleaching materials containing desensitizing agents. Oper Dent. 2012 Sep-Oct;37(5):464-73.
- Carrasco LD, Fröner IC, Corona SA, Pécora JD. Effect of internal bleaching agents on dentinal permeability of non-vital teeth: quantitative assessment. Dent Traumatol. 2003 Apr;19(2):85-9.
- Chng HK, Ramli HN, Yap AU, Lim CT. Effect of hydrogen peroxide on intertubular dentine. J Dent. 2005 May;33(5):363-9.
- Chng HK, Palamara JE, Messer HH. Effect of hydrogen peroxide and sodium perborate on biomechanical properties of human dentin. J Endod. 2002 Feb;28(2):62-7.
- Khoroushi M, Feiz A, Khodamoradi R. Fracture resistance of endodontically-treated teeth: effect of combination bleaching and an antioxidant. Oper Dent. 2010 Sep-Oct;35(5):530-7.