Thermal Changes of Root Surface of Anterior Primary Teeth in Pulpectomy with Er:YAG Laser
Objectives: Successful root treatment depends on elimination of microorganisms from the root canal. Considering incomplete removal of bacteria from the canal by usual methods, lasers have been suggested as a new modality. Despite their anti-bacterial properties, lasers can cause thermal changes. This study assessed the thermal changes of root surface in pulpectomy of primary teeth following the use of Er:YAG laser.
Materials and Methods: Sixty primary anterior teeth were collected and prepared by K-file up to number 50. Then, they were randomly divided into two groups and were irradiated with Er:YAG laser. The first group was irradiated with 1 W laser and the second group with 1.5 W laser. The laser irradiation time was two 10-second cycles with a 2-second interval in both groups. Thermal changes were measured by a thermometer in the apical and coronal areas per second. The results were analyzed by repeated measures ANOVA considering the laser power as between-subject variable.
Results: There was a temperature increase in the coronal and apical areas in use of 1 W power. There was a temperature rise in the coronal and apical areas in use of 1.5 W power. The temperature rise in the apical third was more than that in the coronal third; also, the average temperature rise was more in use of 1.5 W power than 1 W power.
Conclusions: As the average temperature increase was not more than 7°C in any group, this type of laser seems to be suitable for root treatment of primary anterior teeth.
- Fuks A, Kupietzki A. Pulp therapy for the primary dentition. In: Casamassimo PS FH, McTigue DJ, Nowak AJ, editors. Pediatric dentistry: Infancy through adolescence. 5th ed., St. Louis, Missouri, Elsvier Saunders, 2013:333-52.
- Mariela Rodriguez Cordeiro M, Jose de Carvalho Rocha M. The effects of periradicular inflamation and infection on a primary tooth and permanent successor. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2005 Apr;29(3):193-200.
- Gould J. Root canal therapy for infected primary molar teeth--preliminary report. ASDC J Dent Child. 1972;39(4):269.
- Mortazavi M, Mesbahi M. Comparison of zinc oxide and eugenol, and Vitapex for root canal treatment of necrotic primary teeth. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2004 Nov;14(6):417-24.
- Moskovitz M, Sammara E, Holan G. Success rate of root canal treatment in primary molars. J Dent. 2005 Jan;33(1):41-7.
- Primosch RE, Ahmadi A, Setzer B, Guelmann M. A retrospective assessment of zinc oxide-eugenol pulpectomies in vital maxillary primary incisors successfully restored with composite resin crowns. Pediatr Dent. 2005 Nov;27(6):470-7.
- Molander A, Reit C, Dahlén G, Kvist T. Microbiological status of root‐filled teeth with apical periodontitis. Int Endod J. 1998 Jan;31(1):1-7.
- Sjögren U, Figdor D, Persson S, Sundqvist G. Influence of infection at the time of root filling on the outcome of endodontic treatment of teeth with apical periodontitis. Int Endod J. 1997 Sep;30(5):297-306.
- Akimoto N, Momoi Y, Kohno A, Otsuki M, Suzuki S, Suzuki S, et al., editors. Histologic
observation of direct capped pulps with LinerBond-2 adhesive system. J Dent Res; 1997 Jan;76:519.
- Araujo F, Barata J, GarciaGodoy F. Clinical and radiographic evaluation of the use of an adhesive system over primary dental pulps. . J Dent Res; 1996 Jan;75:2101.
- Peters OA. Current challenges and concepts in the preparation of root canal systems: a review. J Endod. 2004 Aug;30(8):559-67.
- Gu LS, Kim JR, Ling J, Choi KK, Pashley DH, Tay FR. Review of contemporary irrigant agitation techniques and devices. J Endod. 2009 Jun;35(6):791-804.
- Stojicic S, Zivkovic S, Qian W, Zhang H, Haapasalo M. Tissue dissolution by sodium hypochlorite: effect of concentration, temperature, agitation, and surfactant. J Endod. 2010 Sep;36(9):1558-62.
- De Moor RJG, Blanken J, Meire M, Verdaasdonk R. Laser induced explosive vapor and cavitation resulting in effective irrigation of the root canal. Part 2: evaluation of the efficacy. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Sep;41(7):520-3.
- Olivi G, Genovese M, Caprioglio C. Evidence-based dentistry on laser paediatric dentistry: review and outlook. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2009 Mar;10(1):29.
- Ramazani N, Ahmadi R, Daryaeian M. Oral and dental laser treatments for children: Applications, advantages and considerations. J Lasers Med Sci. 2012 Jan;3(1):44-9.
- Tate AR. Formecresol performs better than calcium hydroxide as a pulpotomy technique over 2-year period. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2011 Mar;11(1):65-6.
- Birang R, Hasheminia M, Fakhari E, Nasouri M, Nasouri S, Birang E. Evaluation of root canal smear layer removal by two types of lasers: A scanning electron microscopy study. European J Gen Dent. 2013 May;2(2):151.
- Noiri Y, Katsumoto T, Azakami H, Ebisu S. Effects of Er:YAG laser irradiation on biofilm-forming bacteria associated with endodontic pathogens in vitro. J Endod. 2008 Jul;34(7):826-9.
- Ghadimi S, Chiniforush N, Bouraima SA, Johari M. Clinical approach of laser application in different aspects of pediatric dentistry. J Lasers Med Sci. 2012 Apr;3(2):84-90.
- Soares F, Varella CH, Pileggi R, Adewumi A, Guelmann M. Impact of Er,Cr:YSGG laser therapy on the cleanliness of the root canal walls of primary teeth. J Endod. 2008 Apr;34(4):474-7.
- Liu J. Nd: YAG laser pulpotomy of human primary teeth. Int Congr Ser. 2003 May;1248:251-6.
- Odabaş ME, Bodur H, Barιş E, Demir C. Clinical, radiographic, and histopathologic evaluation of Nd: YAG laser pulpotomy on human primary teeth. J Endod. 2007 Apr;33(4):415-21.
- Dederich DN, Bushick RD; ADA Council on Scientific Affairs and Division of Science; Journal of the American Dental Association. Lasers in dentistry: separating science from hype. J Am Dent Assoc. 2004 Feb;135(2):204-12.
- Kuvvetli SS, Sandalli N, Topcuoglu N, Kulekci G. Antibacterial efficacy of diode and Er: YAG laser irradiation in experimentally contaminated primary molar root canals. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2009 Sep;34(1):43-8.
- Armengol V, Jean A, Marion D. Temperature rise during Er: YAG and Nd: YAP laser ablation of dentin. J Endod. 2000 Mar;26(3):138-41.
- Attrill D, Davies R, King T, Dickinson M, Blinkhorn A. Thermal effects of the Er: YAG laser on a simulated dental pulp: a quantitative evaluation of the effects of a water spray. J Dent. 2004 Jan;32(1):35-40.
- Raucci-Neto W, De Castro LM, Corrêa-Afonso AM, Da Silva RS, Pécora JD, Palma-Dibb RG. Assessment of thermal alteration during class V cavity preparation using the Er: YAG laser. Photomed Laser Surg. 2007 Aug;25(4):281-6.
- Zach L, Cohen G. Pulp response to externally applied heat. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1965 Apr;19(4):515-30.
- Eriksson R, Albrektsson T, Magnusson B. Assessment of bone viability after heat trauma: a histological, histochemical and vital microscopic study in the rabbit. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 1984 Jan;18(3):261-8.
- Kreisler M, Al-Haj H, d'Hoedt B. Intrapulpal temperature changes during root surface irradiation with an 809-nm GaAlAs laser. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002 Jun;93(6):730-5.
- Saunders E. In vivo findings associated with heat generation during thermomechanical compactionof gutta‐percha. Part II. Histological response to temperature elevation on the external surface of the rootInt Endod J. 1990 Sep;23(5):268-74.
- Sauk J, Norris K, Foster R, Moehring J, Somerman M. Expression of heat stress proteins by human periodontal ligament cells. J Oral Pathol Med. 1988 Nov;17(9‐10):496-8.
- Hirayama A, Yamada M, Miake K. An electron microscopy study on dentinal tubules of human deciduous teeth. Shikwa Gakuho. 1986 Jun;86(6):1021.
- Sumikawa DA, Marshall G, Gee L, Marshall S. Microstructure of primary tooth dentin. Pediatr Dent. 1999 Nov;21(7):439-44.
- Li ZZ, Code JE, Van de Merwe WP. Er:YAG laser ablation of enamel and dentin of human teeth: Determination of ablation rates at various fluences and pulse repetition rates. Lasers Surg Med. 1992 Jan;12(6):625-30.
- Carvalho CA, Xavier AC, Valera MC, Jorge AO, Ferraz MM, Oliveira LD. Morphological and chemical changes of dentin after applying different sterilization methods. Rev Odontol UNESP. 2015 Jun;44:131-6.
- Estrela C, Bammann L, Pimenta F, Pécora J. Control of microorganisms in vitro by calcium hydroxide pastes. Int Endod J. 2001 Jul;34(5):341-5.
- Harashima T, Takeda F, Zhang C, Kimura Y, Matsumoto K. Effect of argon laser irradiation on instrumented root canal wall. Dent Traumatol. 1998 Feb;14(1):26-30.
- Önal B, Ertl T, Siebert G, Müller G. Preliminary report on the application of pulsed CO2 laser radiation on root canals with AgCl fibers: A scanning and transmission electron microscopic study. J Endod. 1993 Jun;19(6):272-6.
- Pashley D, Michelich V, Kehl T. Dentin permeability: effects of smear layer removal. J Prosthet Dent. 1981 Nov;46(5):531-7.
- Zhang S, Chen T, Ge L. [Scanning electron microscopy was used to observe dentin morphology in primary and permanent teeth treated by erbium: yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser]. Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao. 2011 Oct;43(5):766-9.
- Wang X, Sun Y, Kimura Y, Kinoshita JI, Ishizaki NT, Matsumoto K. Effects of diode laser irradiation on smear layer removal from root canal walls and apical leakage after obturation. Photomed Laser Surg. 2005 Dec;23(6):575-81.
- Schoop U, Kluger W, Moritz A, Nedjelik N, Georgopoulos A, Sperr W. Bactericidal effect of different laser systems in the deep layers of dentin. Lasers Surg Med. 2004 Aug;35(2):111-6.
- Barcellos DC, Carvalho CAT, Torres CRG, Pucci CR, Azuma CRS, Pugliesi EN. Assessment of external root temperature during root canal irradiation by Nd: YAG and Er: YAG lasers. J Laser Appl. 2009 Aug;21(3):119-23.
- Wigdor H, Abt E, Ashrafi S, Walsh JT. The effect of lasers on dental hard tissues. J Am Dent Assoc. 1993 Feb;124(2):65-70.
- Levy G. Cleaning and shaping the root canal with a Nd: YAG laser beam: a comparative study. J Endod. 1992 Mar;18(3):123-7.
- Takeda F, Harashima T, Kimura Y, Matsumoto K. A comparative study of the removal of smear layer by three endodontic irrigants and two types of laser. Int Endod J. 1999 Jan;32(1):32-9.
- Theodoro LH, Haypek P, Bachmann L, Garcia VG, Sampaio JE, Zezell DM, et al. Effect of Er: YAG and diode laser irradiation on the root surface: morphological and thermal analysis. J Periodontol. 2003 Jun;74(6):838-43.
- Lee BS, Jeng JH, Lin CP, Shoji S, Lan WH. Thermal effect and morphological changes induced by Er: YAG laser with two kinds of fiber tips to enlarge the root canals. Photomed Laser Surg. 2004 Jun;22(3):191-7.
-Takeda F, Hatashima T, Eto J, Kimura Y, Matsumoto K. Effect of Er: YAG laser treatment on the root canal walls of human teeth: an SEM study. Dent Traumatol. 1998 Dec;14(6):270-3.
- Takeda FH, Harashima T, Kimura Y, Matsumoto K. Efficacy of Er: YAG laser irradiation in removing debris and smear layer on root canal walls. J Endod. 1998 Aug;24(8):548-51.
- Takeda FH, Harashima T, Kimura Y, Matsumoto K. Comparative study about the removal of smear layer by three types of laser devices. J Clin Laser Med Surg. 1998 Apr;16(2):117-22.
- Cecchini S, Zezell D, Bachmann L, Pinotti M, Nogueira G, Eduardo C. Thermal effects during in vitro intracanal application of Er: YAG laser. International Congress on Lasers in Dentistry; 1998.