Shear Bond Strength of Brackets Bonded with Self-Etching Primers Compared to Conventional Acid-Etch Technique: A Randomized Clinical Trial
Objectives: The purpose of this randomized clinical trial (RCT) was to compare the shear bond strength (SBS) of orthodontic brackets bonded to enamel with conventional acid-etch (AE) technique and self-etching primers (SEP).
Materials and Methods: Twenty-two patients, requiring extraction of two bicuspids for orthodontic reasons, were recruited. In each individual, following blinding and allocation concealment, one intact premolar received conventional AE, whereas the contralateral premolar received SEP with a split-mouth design. Bonded brackets remained in the oral cavity for two months. Afterward, the teeth were extracted without debonding the brackets. SBS and adhesive remnant index (ARI) were measured using a Universal Instron machine and a stereomicroscope, respectively.
Results: The mean SBS of the conventional AE and SEP groups was 9.53 and 9.20 MPa, respectively. Paired t-test showed no statistically significant difference between the two groups (P=0.096). Comparison of ARI between the two groups, using Wilcoxon test, indicated that significantly less adhesive remained on enamel with brackets bonded with SEP compared to brackets bonded with conventional AE (P<0.001) although the SBS was higher in the AE group.
Conclusion: The present study indicated that although there is no significant difference in SBS between SEP and conventional AE for bonding orthodontic metal brackets, the amount of residual adhesive on the enamel surface is significantly less with SEP than with conventional AE.
(IRCT registration number: IRCT201705099086N3).
2. Newman GV. Epoxy adhesives for orthodontic attachments: progress report. Am J Orthod. 1965 Dec;51(12):901-12.
3. Zachrisson BJ. A posttreatment evaluation of direct bonding in orthodontics. Am J Orthod. 1977 Feb;71(2):173-89.
4. Kinch AP, Taylor H, Warltier R, Oliver RG, Newcombe RG. A clinical trial comparing the failure rates of directly bonded brackets using etch times of 15 or 60 seconds. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1988 Dec;94(6):476-83.
5. Sunna S, Rock WP. Clinical performance of orthodontic brackets and adhesive systems: a randomized clinical trial. Br J Orthod. 1998 Nov;25(4):283-7.
6. Bishara SE, Gordan VV, VonWald L, Olson ME. Effect of an acidic primer on shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1998 Sep;114(3):243-7.
7. Keim RG, Gottlieb EL, Vogels DS 3rd, Vogels PB. 2014 JCO study of orthodontic diagnosis and treatment procedures, Part 1: results and trends. J Clin Orthod. 2014 Oct;48(10):607-30.
8. Cinader D. Chemical processes and performance comparisons of Transbond Plus self-etching primer. Orthod Perspect. 2001;8:5-6.
9. Fleming PS, Johal A, Pandis N. Self-etch primers and conventional acid-etch technique for orthodontic bonding: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2012 Jul;142(1):83-94.
10. Jaberi Ansari Z, Moezzizadeh M, Valizadeh Haghi H. Effect of Different Methods of Blood Decontamination on Resin-Resin Micro-Shear Bond Strength. Avicenna J Dent Res. 2017;9(3): e60711-e60711.
11. Bishara SE, Oonsombat C, Soliman MM, Warren JJ, Laffoon JF, Ajlouni R. Comparison of bonding time and shear bond strength between a conventional and a new integrated bonding system. Angle Orthod. 2005 Mar;75(2):237-42.
12. Rajagopal R, Padmanabhan S, Gnanamani J. A comparison of shear bond strength and debonding characteristics of conventional, moisture-insensitive, and self-etching primers in vitro. Angle Orthod. 2004 Apr;74(2):264-8.
13. Arnold RW, Combe EC, Warford JH Jr. Bonding of stainless steel brackets to enamel with a new self-etching primer. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2002 Sep;122(3):274-6.
14. Dorminey JC, Dunn WJ, Taloumis LJ. Shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets bonded with a modified 1-step etchant-and-primer technique. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2003 Oct;124(4):410-3.
15. Nanjannawar LG, Nanjannawar GS. Effects of a self-etching primer and 37% phosphoric acid etching on enamel: a scanning electron microscopic study. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2012 May;13(3):280-4.
16. Turk T, Elekdag-Turk S, Isci D. Effects of self-etching primer on shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets at different debond times. Angle Orthod. 2007 Jan;77(1):108-12.
17. Aljubouri YD, Millett DT, Gilmour WH. Laboratory evaluation of a self-etching primer for orthodontic bonding. Eur J Orthod. 2003 Aug;25(4):411-5.
18. Grubisa HS, Heo G, Raboud D, Glover KE, Major PW. An evaluation and comparison of orthodontic bracket bond strengths achieved with self-etching primer. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2004 Aug;126(2):213-9.
19. Shaikh MA, Kamat NV, Chalakkal P. Effects of light curing of conventional and self-etching primers on shear bond strength. J Clin Orthod. 2014 Apr;48(4):231-7.
20. Buyukyilmaz T, Usumez S, Karaman A. Effect of self-etching primers on bond strength--are they reliable? Angle Orthod. 2003 Feb;73(1):64-70.
21. Mirzakouchaki B, Shirazi S, Sharghi R, Shirazi S, Moghimi M, Shahrbaf S. Shear bond strength and debonding characteristics of metal and ceramic brackets bonded with conventional acid-etch and self-etch primer systems: An in-vivo study. J Clin Exp Dent. 2016 Feb 1;8(1):e38-43.
22. Artun J, Bergland S. Clinical trials with crystal growth conditioning as an alternative to acid-etch enamel pretreatment. Am J Orthod. 1984 Apr;85(4):333-40.
23. Iijima M, Ito S, Muguruma T, Saito T, Mizoguchi I. Bracket bond strength comparison between new unfilled experimental self-etching primer adhesive and conventional filled adhesives. Angle Orthod. 2010 Nov;80(6):1095-9.
24. Bishara SE, VonWald L, Laffoon JF, Warren JJ. Effect of a self-etch primer/adhesive on the shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2001 Jun;119(6):621-4.
25. Pickett KL, Sadowsky PL, Jacobson A, Lacefield W. Orthodontic in vivo bond strength: comparison with in vitro results. Angle Orthod. 2001 Apr;71(2):141-8.
26. Hajrassie MK, Khier SE. In-vivo and in-vitro comparison of bond strengths of orthodontic brackets bonded to enamel and debonded at various times. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007 Mar;131(3):384-90.
27. Pandis N, Walsh T, Polychronopoulou A, Katsaros C, Eliades T. Split-mouth designs in orthodontics: an overview with applications to orthodontic clinical trials. Eur J Orthod. 2013 Dec;35(6):783-9.
28. Reynolds R. A review of direct orthodontic bonding. Br J Orthod. 1975;2(3):171-8.
29. Cal-Neto JP, Miguel JA, Zanella E. Effect of a self-etching primer on shear bond strength of adhesive precoated brackets in vivo. Angle Orthod. 2006 Jan;76(1):127-31.
30. Bishara SE, Gordan VV, VonWald L, Jakobsen JR. Shear bond strength of composite, glass ionomer, and acidic primer adhesive systems. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1999 Jan;115(1):24-8.
31. Murfitt PG, Quick AN, Swain MV, Herbison GP. A randomised clinical trial to investigate bond failure rates using a self-etching primer. Eur J Orthod. 2006 Oct;28(5):444-9.
32. Zachrisson BU, Buyukyilmaz T. Bonding in orthodontics. In: Graber LW, Vanarsdall RL, Vig KWL, Huang GJ (editors). Orthodontics: Current Principles and Techniques. St Louis: Elsevier, 2017:813-62.
33. Swartz ML. Comprehensive fixed appliance therapy. In: McNamara JA, Brudon WL (editors). Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. Ann. Arbor, MI: Needham Press Inc., 2001:149-151.
Copyright (c) 2019 Frontiers in Dentistry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.