Microshear Bond Strength of Different Adhesive Systems to Dentin
Objectives: The aim of this study was to compare the microshear bond strength (µSBS) of various adhesive systems to dentin.
Materials and Methods: In this in vitro experimental study, 60 sound human third molars were divided into four groups. Dentin discs were prepared of middle-third dentin measuring 4 mm in diameter and 2 mm in thickness. Dentin surfaces were bonded with one of the four types of adhesives: (A) Single Bond (3M ESPE), Scotchbond Universal (3M ESPE) in etch and rinse (B) and self-etch (C) modes and (D) Clearfil SE Bond (Kuraray Noritake Dental). After the application of adhesive systems according to the manufacturers’ instructions, composite cylinders (Vit-l-escence) were bonded to dentin surfaces. The μSBS test was performed using a universal testing machine at a crosshead speed of 1 mm/min. Data were analyzed with one-way ANOVA and Tukey’s test (α=0.05).
Results: The µSBS was the highest in self-etch Scotchbond Universal (15.8±6.08 MPa) followed by Clearfil SE Bond (15.24±4.6 MPa), etch and rinse Scotchbond Universal (11.68±4.07MPa) and Single Bond (11.24±3.74 MPa). A significant difference was only found between Single Bond and etch and rinse Scotchbond Universal groups (P=0.04).
Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, application of Scotchbond Universal in self-etch mode provides a reliable bond to dentin.
2. Pashley DH, Tay FR, Breschi L, Tjäderhane L, Carvalho RM, Carrilho M, et al. State of the art etch-and-rinse adhesives. Dent Mater. 2011 Jan;27(1):1-16.
3. Van Meerbeek B, Yoshihara K, Yoshida Y, Mine A, De Munck J, Van Landuyt KL. State of the art of self-etch adhesives. Dent Mater. 2011 Jan;27(1):17-28.
4. Münchow EA, de Barros GD, da Silva Alves L, Valente LL, da Silva Cava S, Piva E, et al. Effect of elastomeric monomers as polymeric matrix of experimental adhesive systems: degree of conversion and bond strength characterization. Appl Adhesion Sci. 2014 Dec;2(1):3.
5. Alex G. Is total-etch dead? Evidence suggests otherwise. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2012 Jan;33(1):12-4.
6. Loguercio AD, Barroso LP, Grande RH, Reis A. Comparison of intra- and intertooth resin-dentin bond strength variability. J Adhes Dent. 2005 Summer;7(2):151-8.
7. Pashley DH, Tay FR, Carvalho RM, Rueggeberg FA, Agee KA, Carrilho M, et al. From dry bonding to water-wet bonding to ethanol-wet bonding. A review of the interactions between dentin matrix and solvated resins using a macromodel of the hybrid layer. Am J Dent. 2007 Feb;20(1):7-20.
8. de Souza Costa CA, Hebling J, Scheffel DL, Soares DG, Basso FG, Ribeiro AP. Methods to evaluate and strategies to improve the biocompatibility of dental materials and operative techniques. Dent Mater. 2014 Jul;30(7):769-84.
9. Tuncer D, Yazici AR, Özgünaltay G, Dayangac B. Clinical evaluation of different adhesives used in the restoration of non-carious cervical lesions: 24-month results. Aust Dent J. 2013 Mar;58(1):94-100.
10. Chen C, Niu LN, Xie H, Zhang ZY, Zhou LQ, Jiao K, et al. Bonding of universal adhesives to dentine--Old wine in new bottles? J Dent. 2015 May;43(5):525-36.
11. Eliguzeloglu E, Omurlu H, Eskitascioglu G, Belli S. Effect of surface treatments and different adhesives on the hybrid layer thickness of non-carious cervical lesions. Oper Dent. 2008 May-Jun;33(3):338-45.
12. Van Meerbeek B, De Munck J, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Vargas M, Vijay P, et al. Buonocore memorial lecture. Adhesion to enamel and dentin: current status and future challenges. Oper Dent. 2003 May-Jun;28(3):215-35.
13. Sensi LG, Lopes GC, Monteiro S Jr, Baratieri LN, Vieira LC. Dentin bond strength of self-etching primers/adhesives. Oper Dent. 2005 Jan-Feb;30(1):63-8.
14. Nunes MF, Swift EJ, Perdigão J. Effects of adhesive composition on microtensile bond strength to human dentin. Am J Dent. 2001 Dec;14(6):340-3.
15. Wagner A, Wendler M, Petschelt A, Belli R, Lohbauer U. Bonding performance of universal adhesives in different etching modes. J Dent. 2014 Jul;42(7):800-7.
16. Oilo G. Bond strength testing--what does it mean?. Int Dent J. 1993 Oct;43(5):492-8.
17. Nicoloso GF, Antoniazzi BF, Lenzi TL, Soares FZ, Rocha RO. Is There a Best Protocol to Optimize Bond Strength of a Universal Adhesive to Artificially Induced Caries-affected Primary or Permanent Dentin? J Adhes Dent. 2016;18(5):441-446.
18. Marchesi G1, Frassetto A, Mazzoni A, Apolonio F, Diolosà M, Cadenaro M, Di Lenarda R, et al. Adhesive performance of a multi-mode adhesive system: 1-year in vitro study. J Dent. 2014 May;42(5):603-12.
19. Manfroi FB, Marcondes ML, Somacal DC, Borges GA, Júnior LH, Spohr AM. Bond Strength of a Novel One Bottle Multi-mode Adhesive to Human Dentin After Six Months of Storage. Open Dent J. 2016 Jun 6;10:268-77.
20. Okada H, Sadr A, Shimada Y, Tagami J. Micro-shear bond strength of current one-step adhesives to cementum and dentin. Am J Dent. 2009 Oct;22(5):259-63.
21. Yousry MM, ElNaga AA, Hafez RM, El-Badrawy W. Microshear bond strength and interfacial morphology of etch-and-rinse and self-etch adhesive systems to superficial and deep dentin. Quintessence Int. 2011 Oct;42(9):e96-e106.
22. Ikeda M, Kurokawa H, Sunada N, Tamura Y, Takimoto M, Murayama R, et al. Influence of previous acid etching on dentin bond strength of self-etch adhesives. J Oral Sci. 2009 Dec;51(4):527-34.
23. do Amaral RC, Stanislawczuk R, Zander-Grande C, Gagler D, Reis A, Loguercio AD. Bond strength and quality of the hybrid layer of one-step self-etch adhesives applied with agitation on dentin. Oper Dent. 2010 Mar-Apr;35(2):211-9.
24. Yoshida Y, Nagakane K, Fukuda R, Nakayama Y, Okazaki M, Shintani H, et al. Comparative study on adhesive performance of functional monomers. J Dent Res. 2004 Jun;83(6):454-8.
25. Hanabusa M, Mine A, Kuboki T, Momoi Y, Van Ende A, Van Meerbeek B, et al. Bonding effectiveness of a new 'multi-mode' adhesive to enamel and dentine. J Dent. 2012 Jun;40(6):475-84.
26. Van Landuyt KL, Kanumilli P, De Munck J, Peumans M, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Bond strength of a mild self-etch adhesive with and without prior acid-etching. J Dent. 2006 Jan;34(1):77-85.
27. Van Landuyt KL, Peumans M, De Munck J, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Extension of a one-step self-etch adhesive into a multi-step adhesive. Dent Mater. 2006 Jun;22(6):533-44.
28. Takamizawa T, Barkmeier WW, Tsujimoto A, Berry TP, Watanabe H, Erickson RL, et al. Influence of different etching modes on bond strength and fatigue strength to dentin using universal adhesive systems. Dent Mater. 2016 Feb;32(2):e9-21.
Copyright (c) 2019 Frontiers in Dentistry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.