Repair Bond Strength of Composite to Zirconia Ceramic Using Two Types of Zirconia Primers
Objectives: This study aimed to assess the effect of application of two types of zirconia primers on repair bond strength of composite to zirconia ceramic.
Materials and Methods: In this in vitro, experimental study, 60 zirconia blocks were divided into five groups and subjected to the application of Z-Prime Plus (ZPP), Monobond Plus (MBP), Porcelain Bonding Resin (PBR), ZPP followed by PBR (ZPP+PBR) and MBP followed by PBR (MBP+PBR). They were then bonded to Z100 composite. The samples were then immersed in water at 37°C for 24 hours, thermocycled for 1000 cycles between 5-55°C and subjected to shear bond strength (SBS) test. The mode of failure was determined under a stereomicroscope and a scanning electron microscope (SEM).
Results: The mean bond strength was the highest in ZPP+PBR group followed by MBP+PBR, ZPP, PBR and MBP group (22.29±8.86, 15.75±2.81, 12.02±3.24, 3.60±2.92 and 2.92±1.78 MPa, respectively). The effects of type of zirconia primer and use/no use of PBR on SBS were significant (P<0.05). The frequency of adhesive failure in MBP and PBR groups was significantly higher than that in MBP+PBR and ZPP+PBR groups (P<0.05). The cohesive failure was significantly more frequent in ZPP+PBR group than in ZPP, MBP and PBR groups (P<0.05).
Conclusion: Simultaneous application of zirconia primer and PBR is the most efficient technique for repair of all-ceramic zirconia restorations with composite resin.
2. Agingu C, Zhang CY, Jiang NW, Cheng H, Özcan M, Yu H. Intraoral repair of chipped or fractured veneered zirconia crowns and fixed dental prosthesis: clinical guidelines based on literature review. J Adhes Sci Technol 2018 Aug;32(15):1711-23.
3. Cevik P, Cengiz D, Malkoc MA. Bond strength of veneering porcelain to zirconia after diﬀerent surface treatments. J Adhes Sci Technol 2016 Nov; 30(22):2466-76.
4. Lundberg K, Wu L, Papia E. The effect of grinding and/or airborne-particle abrasion on the bond strength between zirconia and veneering porcelain: a systematic review. Acta Biomater Odontol Scand 2017 Jan;3(1):8-20.
5. Kelly JR. Clinically relevant approach to failure testing of all-ceramic restorations. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry J Prosthet Dent 1999 Jun;81(6):652-61.
6. Aboushelib MN, de Jager N, Kleverlaan CJ. Microtensile bond strength of different components of core veneered all-ceramic restorations. Dent Mater 2005 Oct;21(10):984-91.
7. Aboushelib MN, Matinlinna JP, Salameh Z. Innovations in bonding to zirconia- based materials: Part I. Dent Mater 2008 Sep;24(9):1268-72.
8. Borges GA, Sophr AM, De Goes MF, Sobrinho LC, Chan DC. Effect of etching and airborne particle abrasion on the microstructure of different dental ceramics. J Prosthet Dent 2003 May;89(5):479-88.
9. Blatz MB, Chiche G, Holst S, Sadan A. Influence of surface treatment and simulated aging on bond strengths of luting agents to zirconia. Quintessence Int. 2007 Oct;38(9):745-53.
10. Radovic I, Monticelli F, Goracci C, Vulicevic ZR, Ferrari M. Self-adhesive resin cements: a literature review. J Adhes Dent 2008 Jul;10(4):251-8.
11. Sharafeddin F, Shoale S. Effects of Universal and Conventional MDP Primers on the Shear Bond Strength of Zirconia Ceramic and Nanofilled Composite Resin. J Dent (Shiraz) 2018 Mar;19(1):48-56.
12. Lüthy H, Loeffel O, Hammerle CH. Effect of thermocycling on bond strength of luting cements to zirconia ceramic. Dent Mater. 2006 Feb;22(2):195-200.
13. Piwowarczyk A, Lauer HC, Sorensen JA. The shear bond strength between luting cements and zirconia ceramics after two pre-treatments. Oper Dent. 2005 May-Jun;30(3):382-8.
14. Kern M, Wegner SM. Bonding to zirconia ceramic: adhesion methods and their durability. Dent Mater. 1998 Jan;14(1):64-71.
15. Ozcan M, Vallittu PK. Effect of surface conditioning methods on the bond strength of luting cement to ceramics. Dent Mater. 2003 Dec;19(8):725-31.
16. Heikkinen TT, Lassila LV, Matinlinna
JP, Vallittu PK. Effect of operating air pressure on tribochemical silica-coating. Acta Odontol Scand 2007Aug;65(4):241-8.
17. Al-Dohan HM, Yaman P, Dennison JB, Razzoog ME, Lang BR. Shear strength of core- veneer interface in bi-layered ceramics. J Prosthet Dent 2004 Apr;91(4):349-55.
18. Valandro LF, Della Bona A, Bottino MA, Neisser MP. The effect of ceramic surface treatment on bonding to densely sintered alumina ceramic. J Prosthet Dent 2005 Mar;93(3):253-9.
19. Guazzato M, Albakry M, Quach L, Swain MV. Influence of surface and heat treatments on the flexural strength of a glass-infiltrated alumina/zirconia-reinforced dental ceramic. Dent Mater. 2005 May;21(5):454-63.
20. Zhang Y, Lawn BR, Rekow ED, Thompson VP. Effect of sandblasting on the long-term performance of dental ceramics. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2004 Nov;15;71(2):381-6.
21. Kosmač T, Oblak C, Jevnikar P, Funduk N, Marion L. The effect of surface grinding and sandblasting on flexural strength and reliability of Y-TZP zirconia ceramic. Dent Mater. 1999 Nov;15(6):426-33.
22. Alex G. Preparing porcelain surfaces for optimal bonding. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2008 Jul-Aug;29(6):324-35.
23. Wolfart M, Lehmann F, Wolfart S, Kern M. Durability of the resin bond strength to zirconia ceramic after using different surface conditioning methods. Dent Mater. 2007 Jan;23(1):45-50.
24. Park CJ, Phark JH, Chee WW. Evaluation of fracture resistance of varying thicknesses of zirconia around implant abutment cylinders. J Oral Implantol 2017 Oct;43(5): 328-32.
25. Fradeani M, Redemagni M. An 11-year clinical evaluation of leucite-reinforced glass-ceramic crowns: a retrospective study. Quintessence Int 2002 Jul-Aug;33(7):503-10.
26. Daou EE. The Zirconia Ceramic: Strengths and Weaknesses. Open Dent J. 2014 Apr; 8:33-42.
27. Della Bona A, Anusavice KJ, Shen C. Microtensile strength of composite bonded to hot- pressed ceramics. J Adhes Dent 2000 Winter;2(4):305-13.
28. Calamia JR. Etched porcelain veneers: the current state of the art. Quintessence Int 1985 Jan;16(1):5-12.
29. Magne P, Paranhos MP, Burnett Jr LH. New zirconia primer improves bond strength of resin-based cements. Dent Mater 2010 Apr;26(4):345-52.
30. Aboushelib MN, Mirmohamadi H, Matinlinna JP, Kukk E, Ounsi HF, Salameh Z. Innovations in bonding to zirconia-based materials. Part II: Focusing on chemical interactions. Dent Mater 2009 Aug;25(8):989-93.
Copyright (c) 2019 Frontiers in Dentistry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.