Effect of Ozone and Two Common Denture Cleaners on Tensile Bond Strength and Surface Hardness of a Silicone Soft Liner
Objectives: To evaluate the effect of ozone and two common denture cleansers on the surface hardness and bond strength of a silicone-based soft liner to acrylic denture base material.
Materials and Methods: Sixty cylindrical specimens were fabricated using heat-cured poly-methyl methacrylate denture base resin. Three millimeters of the material was ground from the midsection and filled with the soft liner. The resilient liner specimens (n=40) used for the hardness test were 10 mm in diameter and 5 mm in height. Cylindrical and disc-shaped samples were randomly divided into four groups (37°C distilled water, Corega® tablets, 0.5% sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), and a home ozone generator). To simulate six months of denture cleansing clinically, samples were placed in their cleanser once a day for six months according to the manufacturer’s instructions. All cylindrical specimens were placed under tension until failure in a universal testing machine at a crosshead speed of 5 mm/minute. For disc-shaped samples, hardness was measured using a Shore-A durometer. The results were analyzed using Kruskal-Wallis test, analysis of variance (ANOVA), and Tukey's post hoc test.
Results: The mean tensile bond strength was not significantly different among the studied groups (P>0.05). The mean hardness in the ozone and Corega tablet groups was significantly lower than that of the control and NaOCl groups (P<0.05).
Conclusion: The type of denture cleanser does not affect the tensile bond strength of silicone soft liners. Home ozone generators and cleansing tablets have less effect on the hardness of soft denture liners compared to 0.5% NaOCl.
2. Nakhaei M, Dashti H, Ahrari F, Vasigh S, Mushtaq S, Shetty RM. Effect of Different Surface Treatments and Thermocycling on Bond Strength of a Silicone-based Denture Liner to a Denture Base Resin. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2016 Feb 1;17(2):154-9.
3. dos Santos MB, Bacchi A, Consani RL, Mesquita MF. Influence of thickness and area of reline on the stress distribution in peri-implant bone during the healing period: a three-dimensional finite element analysis. Gen Dent. 2012 Jul-Aug;60(4):e231-6.
4. Paranhos HF, Silva-Lovato CH, Souza RF, Cruz PC, Freitas KM, Peracini A. Effects of mechanical and chemical methods on denture biofilm accumulation. J Oral Rehabil. 2007 Aug;34(8):606-12.
5. Diwan R. Materials Used in the Management of Edentulous Patients. In: Zarb G, Hobkirk JA, Eckert SE, Jacob RF (editors). Prosthodontic Treatment for Edentulous Patients. St Louis: CV Mosby Co., 2004:190-207.
6. Mohammed HS, Singh S, Hari PA, Amarnath GS, Kundapur V, Pasha N, et al. Evaluate the effect of commercially available denture cleansers on surface hardness and roughness of denture liners at various time intervals. Int J Biomed Sci. 2016 Dec;12(4):130-142.
7. Pahuja RK, Garg S, Bansal S, Dang RH. Effect of denture cleansers on surface hardness of resilient denture liners at various time intervals - an in vitro study. J Adv Prosthodont. 2013 Aug;5(3):270-277.
8. Kiesow A, Sarembe S, Pizzey RL, Axe AS, Bradshaw DJ. Material compatibility and antimicrobial activity of consumer products commonly used to clean dentures. J Prosthet Dent. 2016 Feb;115(2):189-198.e8.
9. Cakan U, Kara O, Kara HB. Effects of various denture cleansers on surface roughness of hard permanent reline resins. Dent Mater J. 2015;34(2):246-51.
10. Arruda CN, Sorgini DB, Oliveira Vde C, Macedo AP, Lovato CH, Paranhos Hde F. Effects of denture cleansers on heat-polymerized acrylic resin: a five-year-simulated period of use. Braz Dent J. 2015 Jul-Aug;26(4):404-8.
11. Gupta G, Mansi B. Ozone therapy in periodontics. J Med Life. 2012 Feb 22;5(1):59-67.
12. Baysan A, Whiley RA, Lynch E. Antimicrobial effect of a novel ozone-generating device on micro-organisms associated with primary root carious lesions in vitro. Caries Res. 2000 Nov-Dec;34(6):498-501.
13. Arita M, Nagayoshi M, Fukuizumi T, Okinaga T, Masumi S, Morikawa M, et al. Microbicidal efficacy of ozonated water against Candida albicans adhering to acrylic denture plates. Oral Microbiol Immunol. 2005 Aug;20(4):206-10.
14. Murakami H, Mizuguchi M, Hattori M, Ito Y, Kawai T, Hasegawa J. Effect of denture cleaner using ozone against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and E. coli T1 phage. Dent Mater J. 2002 Mar;21(1):53-60.
15. Nagayoshi M, Fukuizumi T, Kitamura C, Yano J, Terashita M, Nishihara T. Efficacy of ozone on survival and permeability of oral microorganisms. Oral Microbiol Immunol. 2004 Aug;19(4):240-6.
16. Azarpazhooh A, Limeback H. The application of ozone in dentistry: a systematic review of literature. J Dent. 2008 Feb;36(2):104-16.
17. Mahboub F, Salehsaber F, Parnia F, Gharekhani V, Kananizadeh Y, Taghizadeh M. Effect of denture cleansing agents on tensile and shear bond strengths of soft liners to acrylic denture base. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2017 Summer;11(3):183-188.
18. Geramipanah F, Moradi Haghighi AA, Zeighami S. Effect of Denture Cleansers on Tensile Bond Strength of Soft Liners to Denture Base Resin. J Islam Dent Assoc Iran. 2013;25(3):190-197.
19. Narwal A. An In Vitro Study to Assess the Changes in Hardness and Tensile Bond Strength of Selected Soft Lining Materials, After Long Term Immersion in Denture Cleansers. J Appl Dent Med Sci. 2015 Oct-Dec;1(3):33-42.
20. Mirmortazavi A, Rajati Haghi H, Fata A, Zarrinfar H, Bagheri H, Mehranfard A. Kinetics of antifungal activity of home-generated ozonated water on Candida albicans. Curr Med Mycol. 2018 Jun;4(2):27-31.
21. Ekren O, Ozkomur A. Influence of ozone and paracetic acid disinfection on adhesion of resilient liners to acrylic resin. J Adv Prosthodont. 2016 Aug;8(4):290-5.
22. Pisani MX, Macedo AP, Paranhos Hde F, Silva CH. Effect of experimental Ricinus communis solution for denture cleaning on the properties of acrylic resin teeth. Braz Dent J. 2012;23(1):15-21.
23. Mese A, Guzel KG. Effect of storage duration on the hardness and tensile bond strength of silicone and acrylic resin-based resilient denture liners to a processed denture base acrylic resin. J Prosthet Dent. 2008 Feb;99(2):153-9.
24. Rodrigues S, Shenoy V, Shetty T. Resilient liners: a review. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2013 Sep;13(3):155-64.
25. Botega DM, Sanchez JL, Mesquita MF,
Henriques GE, Consani RL. Effects of thermocycling on the tensile bond strength of three permanent soft denture liners. J Prosthodont. 2008 Oct;17(7):550-4.
Copyright (c) 2019 Frontiers in Dentistry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.