Comparison of Optical Properties of Laminate Veneers Made of Zolid FX and Katana UTML Zirconia and Lithium Disilicate Ceramics
Objectives: This study aimed to compare the optical properties of Zolid FX, Katana UTML, and lithium disilicate laminate veneers.
Materials and Methods: In this in-vitro experimental study, the maxillary left lateral incisor of a phantom received a laminate veneer preparation. An impression was made, and a die was fabricated using dental stone. The die was scanned using a computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing scanner. Ten dies were fabricated from each of the A1, A2, and A3 shades of composite resin. Laminate veneers were fabricated using A1 shade of Katana UTML, Zolid FX, and IPS e.max CAD ceramics (n=10) and placed on composite abutments using bleach and white colors of trial insertion paste (TIP). The optical properties were measured at the incisal, middle, and cervical thirds using a spectrophotometer. Data were analyzed using three-way analysis of variance and Tukey’s test.
Results: The effect of laminate material on the L*, a*, and b* parameters was significant in all areas (P<0.001), except for the L* parameter in the middle and cervical thirds. All color parameters were affected by TIP color in all three regions in most samples (P<0.05). The effect of composite abutment shade was also significant in most cases (P<0.05). The effect of laminate material, abutment shade, and TIP color on the b* parameter was significant (P<0.001). The L* parameter was almost the same in the two zirconia and lithium disilicate ceramic groups.
Conclusion: The composite abutment shade, TIP color, and laminate material should be carefully selected to achieve optimal aesthetics in laminate veneers.
2. Sailer I, Pjetursson BE, Zwahlen M, Hämmerle CH. A systematic review of the survival and complication rates of all-ceramic and metal-ceramic reconstructions after an observation period of at least 3 years. Part II: Fixed dental prostheses. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2007 Jun;18 Suppl 3:86-96.
3. Edelhoff D, Sorensen JA. Tooth structure removal associated with various preparation designs for anterior teeth. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 May;87(5):503-9.
4. Bergenholtz G, Nyman S. Endodontic complications following periodontal and prosthetic treatment of patients with advanced periodontal disease. J Periodontol. 1984 Feb;55(2):63-8.
5. Radz GM. Minimum thickness anterior porcelain restorations. Dent Clin North Am. 2011 Apr;55(2):353-70, ix.
6. Friedman MJ. A 15-year review of porcelain veneer failure--a clinician's observations. Compend Contin Educ Dent (Jamesburg, NJ: 1995). 1998 Jun;19(6):625-8,630,632 passim; quiz 638.
7. McLean JW. Evolution of dental ceramics in the twentieth century. J Prosthet Dent. 2001 Jan;85(1):61-6.
8. Douglas RD, Przybylska M. Predicting porcelain thickness required for dental shade matches. J Prosthet Dent. 1999 Aug;82(2):143-9.
9. Isgrò G, Pallav P, van der Zel JM, Feilzer AJ. The influence of the veneering porcelain and different surface treatments on the biaxial flexural strength of a heat-pressed ceramic. J Prosthet Dent. 2003 Nov;90(5):465-73.
10. Tinschert J, Natt G, Mautsch W, Augthun M, Spiekermann H. Fracture resistance of lithium disilicate-, alumina-, and zirconia-based three-unit fixed partial dentures: a laboratory study. Int J Prosthodont. 2001 May-Jun;14(3):231-8.
11. Guess PC, Att W, Strub JR. Zirconia in fixed implant prosthodontics. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2012 Oct;14(5):633-45.
12. Papaspyridakos P, Lal K. Immediate loading of the maxilla with prefabricated interim prosthesis using interactive planning software, and CAD/CAM rehabilitation with definitive zirconia prosthesis: 2-year clinical follow-up. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2010 Aug;22(4):223-32.
13. Sadid-Zadeh R, Liu PR, Aponte-Wesson R, O'Neal SJ. Maxillary cement retained implant supported monolithic zirconia prosthesis in a full mouth rehabilitation: a clinical report. J Adv Prosthodont. 2013 May;5(2):209-17.
14. Weinberg LA. Tooth preparation for porcelain laminates. N Y State Dent J. 1989 May;55(5):25-8.
15. Alghazzawi TF, Lemons J, Liu PR, Essig ME, Janowski GM. The failure load of CAD/CAM generated zirconia and glass-ceramic laminate veneers with different preparation designs. J Prosthet Dent. 2012 Dec;108(6):386-93.
16. Heffernan MJ, Aquilino SA, Diaz-Arnold AM, Haselton DR, Stanford CM, Vargas MA. Relative translucency of six all-ceramic systems. Part II: core and veneer materials. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 Jul;88(1):10-5.
17. Shah K, Holloway JA, Denry IL. Effect of coloring with various metal oxides on the microstructure, color, and flexural strength of 3Y-TZP. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater.
18. Baldissara P, Llukacej A, Ciocca L, Valandro FL, Scotti R. Translucency of zirconia copings made with different CAD/CAM systems. J Prosthet Dent. 2010 Jul;104(1):6-12.
19. Kim HK, Kim SH, Lee JB, Han JS, Yeo IS, Ha SR. Effect of the amount of thickness reduction on color and translucency of dental monolithic zirconia ceramics. J Adv Prosthodont. 2016 Feb;8(1):37-42.
20. Yoshida A, Miller L, Da Silva JD, Ishikawa-Nagai S. Spectrophotometric analysis of tooth color reproduction on anterior all-ceramic crowns: Part 2: color reproduction and its transfer from in vitro to in vivo. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2010 Feb;22(1):53-63.
21. Kursoglu P, Karagoz Motro PF, Kazazoglu E. Translucency of ceramic material in different core-veneer combinations. J Prosthet Dent. 2015 Jan;113(1):48-53.
22. Alghazzawi TF, Lemons J, Liu PR, Essig ME, Janowski GM. Evaluation of the optical properties of CAD-CAM generated yttria-stabilized zirconia and glass-ceramic laminate veneers. J Prosthet Dent. 2012 May;107(5):300-8.
23. Chaiyabutr Y, Kois JC, Lebeau D, Nunokawa G. Effect of abutment tooth color, cement color, and ceramic thickness on the resulting optical color of a CAD/ CAM glass-ceramic lithium disilicate-reinforced crown. J Prosthet Dent. 2011 Feb;105(2):83-90.
24. Wang H, Xiong F, Zhenhua L. Influence of varied surface texture of dentin porcelain on optical properties of porcelain specimens. J Prosthet Dent. 2011 Apr;105(4):242-8.
25. Lim HN, Yu B, Lee YK. Spectroradiometric and spectrophotometric translucency of ceramic materials. J Prosthet Dent. 2010 Oct;104(4):239-46.
26. Chang J, Da Silva JD, Sakai M, Kristiansen J, Ishikawa-Nagai S. The optical effect of composite luting cement on all ceramic crowns. J Dent. 2009 Dec;37(12):937-43.
27. Casolco SR Jr, Xu J, Garay JE. Transparent/translucent polycrystalline nanostructured yttria stabilized zirconia with varying colors. Scripta Mater. 2008 Mar;58(6):516-519.
28. Dozic A, Tsagkari M, Khashayar G, Aboushelib M. Color management of porcelain veneers: influence of dentin and resin cement colors. Quintessence Int. 2010 Jul-Aug;41(7):567-73.
29. Kim HK, Kim SH. Optical properties of pre-colored dental monolithic zirconia ceramics. J Dent. 2016 Dec;55:75-81.
30. Harada K, Raigrodski AJ, Chung KH, Flinn BD, Dogan S, Mancl LA. A comparative evaluation of the translucency of zirconias and lithium disilicate for monolithic restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 2016 Aug;116(2):257-63.
31. Azer SS, Ayash GM, Johnston WM, Khalil MF, Rosenstiel SF. Effect of esthetic core shades on the final color of IPS Empress all-ceramic crowns. J Prosthet Dent. 2006 Dec;96(6):397-401.
32. Shokry TS, Shen C, Elhosary MM, Elkhodary AM. Effect of core and veneer thicknesses on the color parameters of two all-ceramic systems. J Prosthet Dent. 2006 Feb;95(2):124-9.
33. Pires-de-Souza Fde C, Casemiro LA, Garcia Lda F, Cruvinel DR. Color stability of dental ceramics submitted to artificial accelerated aging after repeated firings. J Prosthet Dent. 2009 Jan;101(1):13-8.
34. Bagis B, Turgut S. Optical properties of current ceramics systems for laminate veneers. J Dent. 2013 Aug;41 Suppl 3:e24-30.
35. Ozturk O, Uludag B, Usumez A, Sahin V, Celik G. The effect of ceramic thickness and number of firings on the color of two all-ceramic systems. J Prosthet Dent. 2008 Aug;100(2):99-106.
Copyright (c) 2019 Frontiers in Dentistry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.