Effect of Accelerated Aging on Color Change of Direct and Indirect Fiber-Reinforced Composite Restorations
Objectives: The aim of this study was to assess the effect of artificial accelerated aging (AAA) on color change of direct and indirect fiber-reinforced composite (FRC) restorations.
Materials and Methods: Direct (Z250) and indirect (Gradia) composite resins were reinforced with glass (GF) and polyethylene fibers (PF) based on the manufacturers’ instructions. Forty samples were fabricated and divided into eight groups (n=5). Four groups served as experimental groups and the remaining four served as controls. Color change (∆E) and color parameters (∆L*, ∆a*, ∆b*) were read at baseline and after AAA based on the CIELAB system. Three-way ANOVA and Tukey’s test were used for statistical analysis.
Results: Significant differences were found in ΔE, ΔL*, Δa* and Δb* among the groups after AAA (P<0.05). Most of the studied samples demonstrated an increase in lightness and a red-yellow shift after AAA.
Conclusions: The obtained ∆E values were unacceptable after AAA (∆E≥ 3.3). All indirect samples showed a green-blue shift with a reduction in lightness except for Gradia/PF+ NuliteF.
Keywords: Aging; Composite Resins; Color
-Moezizadeh M, Shokripour M. Effect of fiber orientation and type of restorative material on fracture strength of the tooth. J Conserv Dent. 2011 Oct;14(4):341-5.
- Mocanu RM, Tanculescu O, Ifteni G, Andronache M, Apostu A, Iordache C, et al. Possibilities and limits of fiber reinforced composite in fixed prosthodontics. Rom J Oral Rehabil. 2012 July- September; 4(3):74-7.
- Tanoue N, Sawase T, Matsumura H, McCabe JF. Properties of indirect composites reinforced with monomer-impregnated glass fiber. Odontology. 2012 Jul;100(2):192-8.
- Dyer SR, Lassila LV, Jokinen M, Vallittu PK. Effect of fiber position and orientation on fracture load of fiber-reinforced composite. Dent Mater. 2004 Dec;20(10):947-55.
- Chai J, Takahashi Y, Hisama K, Shimizu H. Effect of water storage on the flexural properties of three glass fiber-reinforced composites. Int J Prosthodont.2005 Jan-Feb;18(1):28-33.
- Segerström S, Meriç G, Knarvang T, Ruyter IE. Evaluation of two matrix materials intended for fiber- reinforced polymers. Eur J Oral Sci. 2005 Oct;113 (5):422-8.
- Mosharraf R, Torkan S. Fracture resistance of composite fixed partial dentures reinforced with pre- impregnated and non-impregnated fibers. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2012 Winter;6(1):12-6.
- Maden EA, Altun C. Use of polyethylene fiber (Ribbond) in pediatric dentistry. Arch Clin Exp Surg.2012;1(2):110-5.
-Mosharraf R, Hashemi Z, Torkan S. In vitro study of transverse strength of fiber reinforced composites. J Dent (Tehran). 2011 Summer;8(3):101-6.
-Nakamura T, Tanaka H, Kawamura Y, Wakabayashi K. Translucency of glass-fibre- reinforced composite materials. J Oral Rehabil. 2004 Aug;31(8):817-21.
- Sampath S, Ramachandra GS. Effects of glass fibers on light transmittance and color of fiber- reinforced composite. Dent Mater. 2008 Jan;24(1):34-8.
- Hasani Tabatabaie M, Hassani Z, Arami S. Evaluation of opacity in polyethylene fiber reinforced composites. J Dent Med. 2010 Jun 15;23(1):31-7.
- Tuncdemir AR, Aykent F. Effects of fibers on the color change and stability of resin composites after accelerated aging. Dent Mater J. 2012;31(5):872-8.
- Hasani Tabatabaei M, Hasani Z, Ahmadi E. In vitro evaluation of veneering composites and fibers on the color of fiber-reinforced composite restora- tions. J Dent (Tehran). 2014 Jul;11(4):473-80.
- Aguilar FG1, Roberti Garcia Lda F, Cruvinel DR, Sousa AB, de Carvalho Panzeri Pires-de-Souza F. Color and opacity of composites protected with surface sealants and submitted to artificial accelerated aging. Eur J Dent. 2012 Jan;6(1):24-33.
- Sharafeddin F, Alavi A, Talei Z. Flexural Strength of Glass and Polyethylene Fiber Combined with Three Different Composites. J Dent (Shiraz). 2013 Mar;14(1):13-9.
- Jain V, Platt JA, Moore BK, Borges GA. In vitro wear of new indirect resin composites. Oper Dent.2009 Jul-Aug;34(4):423-8.
- Pires-de-Souza Fde C, Garcia Lda F, Hamida HM, Casemiro LA. Color stability of composites subjected to accelerated aging after curing using either a halogen or a light emitting diode source. Braz Dent J. 2007;18(2):119-23.
- Ertan AA, Sahin E. Color stability of low fusing porcelains: an in vitro study. J Oral Rehabil. 2005 May;32(5):358-61.
- Sabatini C, Campillo M, Aref J. Color stability of ten resin-based restorative materials. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2012 Jun;24(3):185-99.
- Papadopoulos T, Sarafianou A, Hatzikyriakos A. Colour stability of veneering composites after accelerated aging. Eur J Dent. 2010 Apr;4(2):137-42.
- Heshmat H, Hajian M, Hoorizad Ganjkar M,Emami Arjomand M. Effect of Tea on Color Change of Silorane and Methacrylate based Composite Resins. JIDAI. 2013 Jul 15;25(2):180-5.
- Catelan A, Briso AL, Sundfeld RH, Goiato MC, dos Santos PH. Color stability of sealed composite resin restorative materials after ultraviolet artificial aging and immersion in staining solution. J Prosthet Dent. 2011 Apr;105(4):236-41.
- Sarafianou A, Iosifidou S, Papadopoulos T, Eliades G. Color stability and degree of cure of direct composite restoratives after accelerated aging. Oper Dent. 2007 Jul-Aug;32(4):406-11.
- Tornavoi DC, Agnelli JA, Panzeri H, Dos Reis AC. Color change of composite resins subjected to accelerated artificial aging. Indian J Dent Res. 2013 Sep-Oct;24(5):605-9.
- Lee YK, Yu B, Lim HN, Lim JI. Difference in the color stability of direct and indirect resin composites. J Appl Oral Sci. 2011 Apr;19(2):154-60