Effect of Filtration and Thickness of Cross-Sections of Cone Beam Computed Tomography Images on Detection of Proximal Caries
AbstractObjectives: When a patient has cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) images based on the treatment plan, it is possible to use these images for evaluation of caries, and there is no need for new radiographs, according to the "as low as reasonably achievable" (ALARA) principle. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of filtration and thickness of CBCT cross-sections on detection of proximal caries.Materials and Methods: In this in-vitro study, 100 teeth were placed in the dental sockets of a dry skull, and were fixed in normal proximal contacts. CBCT images were taken and were evaluated by two observers on the panoramic view at 1-, 3- and 5-mm-thick cross-sections, with the use of filtrations 0, 1 and 2. Afterwards, the samples were sectioned and underwent a histological evaluation. McNemar’s test was used to compare the findings on CBCT images and histological evaluation. Receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curves and logistic regression were used to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of different cross-sections.Results: The maximum AZ-value was achieved at 3-mm thickness/filtration 2. However, the differences between 1-mm thickness/filtration 2 and 1-mm thickness/filtration 1 were not significant (P=0.728 and 0.868, respectively). The minimum AZ-value was achieved at 5-mm thickness/filtration 0.Conclusions: Although CBCT is not sufficiently effective in detecting caries, the best cross-sections for detection of proximal caries were achieved at 3-mm thickness/filtration 2, 1-mm thickness/filtration 2 and 1-mm thickness/filtration 1.
- Pereira AC, Verdonschot EH, Huysmans MC. Caries detection methods: can they aid decision making for invasive sealant treatment? Caries Res. 2001 Mar-Apr;35(2):83-9.
- Attrill DC, Ashley PF. Occlusal caries detection in primary teeth: a comparison of DIAGNOdent with conventional methods. Br Dent J. 2001 Apr 28;190(8):440-3.
- Ohki M, Okano T, Nakamura T. Factors determining the diagnostic accuracy of digitized conventional intraoral radiographs. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 1994 May;23(2):77-82.
- White SC, Pharoah MJ. Oral Radiology: Principles and Interpretation: Elsevier Health Sciences, 2013:285.
- Senel B, Kamburoglu K, Ucok O, Yuksel SP, Ozen T, Avsever H. Diagnostic accuracy of different imaging modalities in detection of proximal caries. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2010 Dec;39(8):501-11.
- Haak R, Wicht MJ, Noack MJ. Conventional, digital and contrast-enhanced bitewing radiographs in the decision to restore approximal carious lesions. Caries Res. 2001 May-Jun;35(3):193-9.
- Hala LA, Mello JBd, Carvalho PLd. Evaluation of the effectiveness of clinical and radiographic analysis for the diagnosis of proximal caries for different clinical experience levels: comparing lesion depth through histological analysis. Braz J Oral Sci. 2006;5:1012-7.
- Wenzel A. Bitewing and digital bitewing radiography for detection of caries lesions. J Dent Res. 2004;83 Spec No C(C):C72-5.
- Jablonski-Momeni A, Stachniss V, Ricketts DN, Heinzel-Gutenbrunner M, Pieper K. Reproducibility and accuracy of the ICDAS-II for detection of occlusal caries in vitro. Caries Res. 2008;42(2):79-87.
- Isidor S, Faaborg-Andersen M, Hintze H, Kirkevang LL, Frydenberg M, Haiter-Neto F, et al. Effect of monitor display on detection of approximal caries lesions in digital radiographs. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2009 Dec;38(8):537-41.
- Charuakkra A, Prapayasatok S, Janhom A, Pongsiriwet S, Verochana K, Mahasantipiya P. Diagnostic performance of cone-beam computed tomography on detection of mechanically-created artificial secondary caries. Imaging Sci Dent. 2011 Dec;41(4):143-50.
- Akdeniz BG, Grondahl HG, Magnusson B. Accuracy of proximal caries depth measurements: comparison between limited cone beam computed tomography, storage phosphor and film radiography. Caries Res. 2006;40(3):202-7.
- Tsuchida R, Araki K, Okano T. Evaluation of a limited cone-beam volumetric imaging system: comparison with film radiography in detecting incipient proximal caries. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007 Sep;104(3):412-6.
- Haiter-Neto F, Wenzel A, Gotfredsen E. Diagnostic accuracy of cone beam computed tomography scans compared with intraoral image modalities for detection of caries lesions. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2008 Jan;37(1):18-22.
- Zhang ZL, Qu XM, Li G, Zhang ZY, Ma XC. The detection accuracies for proximal caries by cone-beam computerized tomography, film, and phosphor plates. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011 Jan;111(1):103-8.
- Young SM, Lee JT, Hodges RJ, Chang TL, Elashoff DA, White SC. A comparative study of high-resolution cone beam computed tomography and charge-coupled device sensors for detecting caries. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2009 Oct;38(7):445-51.
- Kayipmaz S, Sezgin OS, Saricaoglu ST, Can G. An in vitro comparison of diagnostic abilities of conventional radiography storage phosphor, and cone beam computed tomography to determine occlusal and approximal caries. Eur J Radiol 2011;80(2):478-82.
- Wenzel A, Hirsch E, Christensen J, Matzen LH, Scaf G, Frydenberg M. Detection of cavitated approximal surfaces using cone beam CT and intraoral receptors. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2013;42(1):39458105.
- Valizadeh S, Tavakkoli MA, Karimi Vasigh H, Azizi Z, Zarrabian T. Evaluation of Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) System: Comparison with Intraoral Periapical Radiography in Proximal Caries Detection. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects 2012Winter;6(1):1-5.
- Schropp L, Alyass NS, Wenzel A, Stavropoulos A. Validity of wax and acrylic as soft-tissue simulation materials used in in vitro radiographic studies. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2012Dec;41(8):686-90.
- Belem MD, Tabchoury CP, Ferreira-Santos RI, Groppo FC, Haiter-Neto F. Performance of a photostimulable storage phosphor digital system with or without the sharpen filter and cone beam CT for detecting approximal enamel subsurface demineralization. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2013;42(5):20120313.
- Qu X, Li G, Zhang Z, Ma X. Detection accuracy of in vitro approximal caries by cone beam computed tomography images. Eur J Radiol. 2011 Aug;79(2):e24-7.
- Kositbowornchai S, Basiw M, Promwang Y, Moragorn H, Sooksuntisakoonchai N. Accuracy of diagnosing occlusal caries using enhanced digital images. Dentomaxillofac adiol2004jul;33(4):236-40.
- Tyndall DA, Ludlow JB, Platin E, Nair M. A comparison of Kodak Ektaspeed Plus film and the Siemens Sidexis digital imaging system for caries detection using receiver operating characteristic analysis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1998 Jan;85(1):113-8.
- Akkaya N, Kansu O, Kansu H, Cagirankaya LB, Arslan U. Comparing the accuracy of panoramic and intraoral radiography in the diagnosis of proximal caries. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2006 May; 35(3): 170-4.
- Berkey CS, Douglass CW, Valachovic RW, Chauncey HH, McNeil BJ. Statistical methods for comparing dental diagnostic procedures. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1990 Aug;18(4):169-76.
- Obuchowski NA. Receiver operating characteristic curves and their use in radiology. Radiology. 2003 Oct;229(1):3-8.