Prediction of Mesiodistal Width of Unerupted Lateral Incisors, Canines and Premolars in Orthodontic Patients in Early Mixed Dentition Period
Objectives: Proper diagnosis and prevention of malocclusion are superior to treatment. Discrepancy between arch length and tooth size in mixed dentition period is a condition requiring timely diagnosis. Estimating the mesiodistal width of unerupted teeth according to the size of erupted ones can lead to earlier diagnosis of malocclusion. On the other hand, the best timing for serial extractions is before the eruption of lateral incisors. The aim of this study was to present prediction formulas for mesiodistal width of unerupted lateral incisors, canines and premolars in an Iranian population based on the width of erupted permanent mandibular central incisors and maxillary first molars.
Materials and Methods: A total of 120 dental models (60 males, 60 females) of orthodontic patients between 11-25 years were evaluated in Yazd city. The measurements were made by a digital caliper on the widest mesiodistal width of teeth at the interproximal contacts. Data were analyzed to calculate the prediction equation.
Results: The prediction equation in the upper jaw was y=0.57x+10.82 for males, y=0.7x+6.37 for females and y=0.64x+8.46 for both sexes. The equation for the lower jaw was y=0.76x+2.86 for males, y=0.74x+3.53 for females and y=0.77x+2.7 for both sexes.
Conclusions: The prediction equations suggested in this study can predict the mesiodistal width of unerupted lateral incisors, canines and premolars in an Iranian population in early mixed dentition period without taking radiographs.
- Bishara SE, Athanasiou AE. Textbook of orthodontics. 3rd ed., St Louis, MO, Mosby Inc., 2001:98-9.
- Profitt WR, Henry WF. Contemporary orthodontics. 3rd ed., St Louis, MO, Mosby Inc., 2000:148-50.
- Abu Alhaija ES, Qudeimat MA. Mixed dentition space analysis in a Jordanian population: comparison of two methods. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2006 Mar;16(2):104-10.
- Ling JY, Wong RW. Tanaka-Johnston mixed dentition analysis for southern Chinese in Hong Kong. Angle Orthod. 2006 Jul;76(4):632-6.
- Bernabé E, Flores-Mir C. Are the lower incisors the best predictors for the unerupted canine and premolars sums? An analysis of a Peruvian sample. Angle Orthod. 2005 Mar;75(2):202-7.
- Tanaka MM, Johnston LE. The prediction of the size of unerupted canines and premolars in a contemporary orthodontic population. J Am Dent Assoc. 1974 Apr;88(4):798-801.
- Moyers RE. Handbook of orthodontics, 4th ed., Chicago, IL, Year Book Medical publishers Inc., 1988: 235-9
- Mittar M, Dua VS, Wilson S. Reliability of permanent mandibular first molars and incisors widths as predictor for the width of permanent mandibular and maxillary canines and premolars. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012 Apr;3(5):8.
- Tikku T, Khanna R, Sachan K, Agarwal A, Srivastava K, Yadav P. A new proposed regression equation for mixed dentition analysis using the sum of permanent mandibular four incisors and first molar as a predictor of width of unerupted canine and premolars in a sample of North Indian population. J Orthod Sci. 2013 Oct;2(4):124.
- Flores‐Mir C, Bernabé E, Camus C, Carhuayo MA, Major PW. Prediction of mesiodistal canine and premolar tooth width in a sample of Peruvian adolescents. Orthod Craniofac Res 2003 Aug;6(3): 173-6.
- Diagne F, Diop-Ba K, Ngom PI, El Boury O. Mixed dentition analysis in a Moroccan population. Odontostomatol Trop 2004 Dec;27(108):5-10.
- Yuen KK, Tang EL, So LL. Mixed dentition analysis for Hong Kong Chinese. Angle Orthod. 1998 Feb;68(1):21-8.
- Peng H, Wang X, Chen K. [The predication equation of the permanent canine and premolar crown]. Hua Xi Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2000 Feb;18(1):55-7.
- Verzì P, Leonardi M, Palermo F. [Mixed dentition space analysis in a eastern Sicilian population]. Minerva Stomatol. 2002 Jul-Aug;51 (7-8):327-39.
- Boboc A, Dibbets J. Prediction of the mesiodistal width of unerupted permanent canines and premolars: a statistical approach. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010 Apr;137(4):503-7.
- Al-Khadra BH. Prediction of the size of unerupted canines and premolars in a Saudi Arab population. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1993 Oct;104(4):369-72.
- Lee-Chan S, Jacobson BN, Chwa KH, Jacobson RS. Mixed dentition analysis for Asian-Americans. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1998 Mar;113(3): 293-9.
- Cattaneo C, Butti AC, Bernini S, Biagi R, Salvato A. Comparative evaluation of the group of teeth with the best prediction value in the mixed dentition analysis. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2010 Mar;11(1):23-6.
- Toodehzaeim MH, Aghili H, Shariatifar E, Dehghani M. New regression equations for mixed dentition space analysis in an Iranian population. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013 Nov;14(6):1156-60.
- Marchionni VM, Silva MC, de Araujo TM, Reis SR. Assessment of effectiveness of the Tanaka-Johnston method for prediction of mesiodistal diameter of unerupted canines and premolars. Pesqui Odontal Bras. 2001 Mar;15(1):35-40.