Effect of Self-Adhesive and Separate Etch Adhesive Dual Cure Resin Cements on the Bond Strength of Fiber Post to Dentin at Different Parts of the Root
Objectives: Bonding of fiber posts to intracanal dentin is challenging in the clinical setting. This study aimed to compare the effect of self-adhesive and separate etch adhesive dual cure resin cements on the bond strength of fiber post to dentin at different parts of the root.
Materials and Methods: This in-vitro experimental study was conducted on 20 single-rooted premolars. The teeth were decoronated at 1mm coronal to the cementoenamel junction (CEJ), and the roots underwent root canal treatment. Post space was prepared in the roots. Afterwards, the samples were randomly divided into two groups. In group 1, the fiber posts were cemented using Rely X Unicem cement, while in group 2, the fiber posts were cemented using Duo-Link cement, according to the manufacturer's instructions. The intracanal post in each root was sectioned into three segments of coronal, middle, and apical, and each cross-section was subjected to push-out bond strength test at a crosshead speed of 1mm/minute until failure. Push-out bond strength data were analyzed using independent t-test and repeated measures ANOVA.
Results: The bond strength at the middle and coronal segments in separate etch adhesive cement group was higher than that in self-adhesive cement group. However, the bond strength at the apical segment was higher in self-adhesive cement group compared to that in the other group. Overall, the bond strength in separate etch adhesive cement group was significantly higher than that in self-adhesive cement group (P<0.001).
Conclusions: Bond strength of fiber post to intracanal dentin is higher after the use of separate etch adhesive cement compared to self-adhesive cement.
- Qualtrough AJ, Mannocci F. Tooth-colored post systems: a review. Oper Dent. 2003 Jan-Feb;28(1):86-91.
- King PA, Setchell DJ. An in vitro evaluation of a prototype CFRC prefabricated post developed for the restoration of pulpless teeth. J Oral Rehabil. 1990 Nov 1;17(6):599-609.
- Stewardson DA. Non-metal post systems. Dent Update. 2001 Sep;28(7):326-32,334,336.
- Purton DG, Payne JA. Comparison of carbon fiber and stainless steel root canal posts. Quintessence Int. 1996 Feb;27(2):93-7.
- Newman MP, Yaman P, Dennison J, Rafter M, Billy E. Fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth restored with composite posts. J Prosthet Dent. 2003 Apr;89(4):360-7.
- Luthria A, Srirekha A, Hegde J, Karale R, Tyagi S, Bhaskaran S. The reinforcement effect of polyethylene fibre and composite impregnated glass fibre on fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent. 2012 Oct-Dec;15(4): 372-376.
- Aggarwal V, Singla M, Yadav S, Yadav H, Sharma V, Bhasin SS. The effect of ferrule presence and type of dowel on fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth restored with metal-ceramic crowns. J Conserv Dent. 2014 Mar;17(2):183-7.
- Skupien JA, Sarkis-Onofre R, Cenci MS, Moraes RR, Pereira-Centi T. A systematic review of factors associated with the retention of glass fiber posts. Braz Oral Res. 2015;29:1806-83242015000100401.
- Stewardson DA, Shortall AC, Marquis PM. The effect of the elastic modulus of endodontic posts on static load failure. Int Endod J. 2011 May;44(5):
- Bijelic J, Garoushi S, Vallittu PK, Lassila LV. Fracture load of tooth restored with fiber post and experimental short fiber composite. Open Dent J. 2011 Mar 29;5:58-65.
- Mizuno Y, Gonda T, Takahashi T, Tomita A, Maeda Y. Root fracture of abutment teeth for partial removable dental prostheses. Int J Prosthodont. 2016Sep-Oct;29(5):461-6.
- Bachicha WS, DiFiore PM, Miller DA, Lautenschlager EP, Pashley DH. Microleakage of endodontically treated teeth restored with posts. J Endod. 1998 Nov;24(11):703-8.
- Bitter K, Priehn K, Martus P, Kielbassa AM. In vitro evaluation of push-out bond strengths of various luting agents to tooth-colored posts. J Prosthet Dent. 2006 Apr;95(4):302-10.
- Mazzitelli C, Monticelli F, Osorio R, Casucci A, Toledano M, Ferrari M. Effect of simulated pulpal pressure on self-adhesive cements bonding to dentin. Dent Mater. 2008 Sep;24(9):1156-63.
- Wennström J: The C-POST system. Compend Contin Educ Dent Suppl. 1996;(20):S80-5.
- Wang VJ, Chen YM, Yip KH, Smales RJ, Meng QF, Chen L. Effect of two fiber post types and two luting cement systems on regional post retention using the push-out test. Dent Mater. 2008 Mar;24(3):372-7.
- Goracci C, Grandini S, Bossù M, Bertelli E, Ferrari M. Laboratory assessment of the retentive potential of adhesive posts: a review. J Dent. 2007 Nov;35(11):827-35.
- Perdigão J, Gomes G, Lee IK. The effect of silane on the bond strengths of fiber posts. Dent Mater. 2006 Aug;22(8):752-8.
- Zicari F, Couthino E, De Munck J, Poitevin A, Scotti R, Naert I, et al. Bonding effectiveness and sealing ability of fiber-post bonding. Dent Mater. 2008 Jul;24(7):967-77.
- Goracci C, Tavares AU, Fabianelli A, Monticelli F, Raffaelli O, Cardoso PC, et al. The adhesion between fiber posts and root canal walls: comparison between microtensile and push‐out bond strength measurements. Eur J Oral Sci. 2004 Aug;112(4):
- Goracci C, Sadek FT, Fabianelli A, Tay FR, Ferrari M. Evaluation of the adhesion of fiber posts to intraradicular dentin. Oper Dent. 2005 Sep-Oct;30(5):627-635.
- Kececi AD, Kaya BU, Adanir N. Micro push-out bond strengths of four fiber-reinforced composite post systems and 2 luting materials. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008 Jan;105(1):121-8.
- Radovic I, Mazzitelli C, Chieffi N, Ferrari M. Evaluation of the adhesion of fiber posts cemented using different adhesive approaches. Eur J Oral Sci. 2008 Dec 1;116(6):557-63.
- Rathke A, Haj‐Omer D, Muche R, Haller B. Effectiveness of bonding fiber posts to root canals and composite core build‐ups. Eur J Oral Sci. 2009 Oct;117(5):604-10.
- Ferrari M, Mannocci F, Vichi A, Cagidiaco MC, Mjör IA. Bonding to root canal: structural characteristics of the substrate. Am J Dent. 2000 Oct;13(5):255-60.
- Serafino C, Gallina G, Cumbo E, Ferrari M. Surface debris of canal walls after post space preparation in endodontically treated teeth: a scanning electron microscopic study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004 Mar;97(3):381-7.
- Goracci C, Corciolani G, Vichi A, Ferrari M. Light-transmitting ability of marketed fiber posts. J Dent Res. 2008 Dec;87(12):1122-6.
- Giannini M, Carvalho RM, Martins LR, Dias CT, Pashley DH. The influence of tubule density and area of solid dentin on bond strength of two adhesive systems to dentin. J Adhes Dent. 2001 Winter;3(4):315-24..
- Uzunoğlu E, Türker SA, Yilmaz Z. Influence of cement type and thickness on polyfiber post adhesion. J Conserv Dent. 2014 May;17(3):255-260.
- Grandini S, Goracci C, Monticelli F, Borracchini A, Ferrari M. SEM evaluation of the cement layer thickness after luting two different posts. J Adhes Dent. 2005 Autumn;7(3):235-40.
- Giachetti L, Grandini S, Calamai P, Fantini G, Scaminaci Russo D. Translucent fiber post cementation using light-and dual-curing adhesive techniques and a self-adhesive material: push-out test. J Dent. 2009 Aug;37(8):638-42.
- Prado NA, Ferreira RD, Maurício MH, Paciornik S, Miranda MS. Influence of the cement film thickness on the push-out bond strength of glass fiber posts cemented in human root canals. Int J Dent. 2016;2016:9319534.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.