Fatigue Fracture Strength of Implant-Supported Full Contour Zirconia and Metal Ceramic Fixed Partial Dentures
Objectives: Zirconia restorations have been suggested as a more durable and more appealing alternative to metal restorations. However, their mechanical properties may be negatively affected by fatigue due to superficial stresses or low temperature degradation. This study aimed to assess the fatigue fracture strength of three-unit implant-supported full contour zirconia and pre-sintered cobalt-chromium (Co-Cr) alloy posterior fixed partial dentures (FPDs).
Materials and Methods: In this in-vitro experimental study, 28 posterior three-unit implant-supported FPDs were fabricated of full contour zirconia and pre-sintered Co-Cr alloy, and were cemented on implant abutments. To simulate the oral environment, FPDs were subjected to 10,000 thermal cycles between 5-55°C for 30 seconds, and were then transferred to a chewing simulator (100,000 cycles, 50 N, 0.5 Hz). Afterwards, fatigue fracture strength was measured using a universal testing machine. Data were analyzed by Mann-Whitney U test.
Results: The mean and standard deviation of fracture strength were 2108.6±440.1 N in full contour zirconia, and 3499.9±1106.5 N in pre-sintered Co-Cr alloy. According to Mann- Whitney U test, the difference in this respect was statistically significant between the two groups (P=0.007).
Conclusions: Since the fracture strength values obtained in the two groups were significantly higher than the maximum mean masticatory load in the oral environment, both materials can be used for fabrication of posterior three-unit FPDs, depending on the esthetic demands of patients.
- Holm C, Tidehag P, Tillberg A, Molin M. Longevity and quality of FPDs: a retrospective study of restorations 30, 20, and 10 years after insertion. Int J Prosthodont. 2003 May-Jun;16(3):283-9.
- Leempoel PJ, Käyser AF, Van Rossum GM, De Haan AF. The survival rate of bridges. A study of 1674 bridges in 40 Dutch general practices. J Oral Rehabil. 1995 May;22(5):327-30.
- Sundh A, Molin M, Sjögren G. Fracture resistance of yttrium oxide partially-stabilized zirconia all-ceramic bridges after veneering and mechanical fatigue testing. Dent Mater. 2005 May;21(5):476-82.
- Kheradmandan S, Koutayas SO, Bernhard M, Strub JR. Fracture strength of four different types of anterior 3-unit bridges after thermo-mechanical fatigue in the dual-axis chewing simulator. J Oral Rehabil. 2001 Apr;28(4):361-9.
- Raigrodski AJ, Chiche GJ. The safety and efficacy of anterior ceramic fixed partial dentures: a review of the literature. J Prosthet Dent. 2001 Nov;86(5):520-5.
- Kelly JR. Dental ceramics: what is this stuff anyway? J Am Dent Assoc. 2008 Sep;139 Suppl:4S-7S.
- Lee DH, Lee BJ, Kim SH, Lee KB. Shear bond strength of porcelain to a new millable alloy and a conventional castable alloy. J Prosthet Dent. 2015 Apr;113(4):329-35.
- Karl M, Wichmann MG, Heckmann SM, Krafft T. Strain development in 3-unit implant-supported CAD/CAM restorations. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2008 Jul-Aug;23(4):648-52.
- Zimmermann R, Seitz S, Magness B, Wieck B. Using CAD/CAM technology to create a 10-unit zirconia fixed partial denture- a UTHSCSA dental school case report. Tex Dent J. 2013 Oct;130(10):1039-44.
- Carvalho AO, Bruzi G, Giannini M, Magne P. Fatigue resistance of CAD/CAM complete crowns with a simplified cementation process. J Prosthet Dent. 2014 Apr;111(4):310-7.
- Yoon TH, Madden JC, Chang WG. A technique to restore worn denture teeth on a partial removable dental prosthesis by using ceramic onlays with CAD/CAM technology. J Prosthet Dent. 2013 Oct;110(4):331-2.
- Rosenstiel SF, Land MF, Fujimoto J. Contemporary Fixed Prosthodontics. 4th ed. Barcelona, Elsevier, 2009:606-10.
- Stawarczyk B, Eichberger M, Hoffmann R, Noack F, Schweiger J, Edelhoff D, et al. A novel CAD/CAM base metal compared to conventional CoCrMo alloys: an in-vitro study of the long-term metal-ceramic bond strength. Oral Health Dent Manag. 2014 Jun;13(2):446-52.
- Krug KP, Knauber AW, Nothdurft FP. Fracture behavior of metal-ceramic fixed dental prostheses with frameworks from cast or a newly developed sintered cobalt-chromium alloy. Clin Oral Investig. 2015 Mar;19(2):401-11.
- Raigrodski AJ, Chiche GJ, Potiket N, Hochstedler JL, Mohammad SE, Billiot S, et al. The efficacy of posterior three-unit zirconium-oxide-based ceramic fixed partial dental prostheses: a prospective clinical pilot study. J Prosthet Dent. 2006 Oct;96(4):237-44.
- Beuer F, Stimmelmayr M, Gueth JF, Edelhoff D, Naumann M. In vitro performance of full-contour zirconia single crowns. Dent Mater. 2012 Apr;28(4):449-56.
- Rinke S, Fischer C. Range of indications for translucent zirconia modifications: clinical and technical aspects. Quintessence Int. 2013 Sep;44(8):557-66.
- Sun T, Zhou S, Lai R, Liu R, Ma S, Zhou Z, et al. Load-bearing capacity and the recommended thickness of dental monolithic zirconia single crowns. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2014 Jul:35(1):93-101.
- Zesewitz TF, Knauber AW, Nothdurft FP. Fracture resistance of a selection of full-contour all-ceramic crowns: an in vitro study. Int J Prosthodont. 2014 May/Jun;27(3):264-6.
- Johansson C, Kmet G, Rivera J, Larsson C, Vult
Von Steyern P. Fracture strength of monolithic all-ceramic crowns made of high translucent yttrium oxide-stabilized zirconium dioxide compared to porcelain-veneered crowns and lithium disilicate crowns. Acta Odontol Scand. 2014;72(2):145-53.
- Baldassarri M, Zhang Y, Thompson VP, Rekow ED, Stappert CFJ. Reliability and failure modes of implant-supported zirconium-oxide fixed dental prostheses related to veneering techniques. J Dent. 2011 Jul;39(7):489-98.
- Bonfante EA, Coelho PG, Navarro Jr JM, Pegoraro LF, Bonfante G, Thompson VP, et al. Reliability and failure modes of implant-supported Y-TZP and MCR three-unit bridges. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2010 Sep;12(3):235-43.
- Denry I, Kelly JR. State of the art of zirconia for dental applications. Dent Mater. 2008 Mar;24(3):299-307.
- Eroğlu Z, Gurbulak AG. Fatigue behavior of zirconia-ceramic, galvano-ceramic, and porcelain-fused-to-metal fixed partial dentures. J Prosthodont. 2013 Oct;22(7):516-22.
- Rosentritt M, Behr M, Gebhard R, Handel G. Influence of stress simulation parameters on the fracture strength of all-ceramic fixed-partial dentures. Dent Mater. 2006 Feb;22(2):176-82.
- Li Y, Carrera C, Chen R, Li J, Chen Y, Lenton P, et al. Fatigue failure of dentin-composite disks subjected to cyclic diametral compression. Dent Mater. 2015 Jul;31(7):778-88.
- Yilmaz H, Aydin C, Gul BE. Flexural strength and fracture toughness of dental core ceramics. J Prosthet Dent. 2007 Aug;98(2):120-8.
- Limmer B, Sanders AE, Reside G, Cooper LF. Complications and patient-centered outcomes with an implant-supported monolithic zirconia fixed dental prosthesis: 1 year results. J Prosthodont. 2014 Jan;23(4):267-75.
- Kelly JR, Tesk JA, Sorensen JA. Failure of all-ceramic ﬁxed partial dentures in vitro and in vivo: analysis and modeling. J Dent Res. 1995 Jun;74(6):1253-8.
- Vult Von Steyern P, Carlson P, Nilner K. All-ceramic ﬁxed partial dentures designed according to the DC-Zircon technique. A 2-year clinical study. J Oral Rehabil. 2005 Mar;32(3):180-7.
- Nelson DR, Palik JF, Morris HF, Comella MC. Recasting a nickelchromium alloy. J Prosthet Dent. 1986 Jan;55(1):122-7.
- Issac L, Bhat S. Effect of re-using nickel-chromium alloy on its ultimate tensile strength, yield strength and modulus of elasticity. Indian J Dent Res. 1998 Jan-Mar;9(1):13-7.
- Ucar Y, Aksahin Z, Kurtoglu C. Metal ceramic bond after multiple castings on base metal alloy. J Prosthet Dent. 2009 sep;102(3):165-71.
- Huang HH, Lin MC, Lee TH, Yang HW, Chen FI, Wu SC, et al. Effect of chemical composition of Ni-Cr dental casting alloys on the bonding characterization between porcelain and metal. J Oral Rehabil. 2005 Mar;32(3):206-12.
- Nikellis I, Levi A, Zinelis S. Effect of soldering on the metalceramic bond strength of an Ni-Cr base alloy. J Prosthet Dent. 2005 Nov;94(5):435-9.