Effect of Flapless Immediate Implantation and Filling the Buccal Gap with Xenograft Material on the Buccal Bone Level: A Randomized Clinical Trial
Objectives: Following tooth extraction, soft and hard tissue alterations occur; Different factors can affect this process. The objective of this study was to determine the effect of gap filling on buccal alveolar crestal bone level after immediate implant placement after 4- to 6-month observation period.
Materials and Methods: This randomized clinical trial was performed on 20 patients (mean age of 38.8 years) requiring tooth extraction in a total of 27 areas in the anterior maxilla. The treatment strategy was as follows: atraumatic flapless tooth extraction, implant placement, insertion of a graft (test group) or no material (control group) between the implant and the socket wall, connection healing abutment placement and suturing the area. Clinical and cone beam computed tomographic examinations were performed before implant placement (baseline), 24 hours after surgery and 4-6 months (T2) after implant placement, to assess the buccal plate height (BH) and implant complications.
Results: After 4 months of healing, a reduction in different bone measurements was noticed in the two groups. No statistically significant differences were assessed in bone height measurements between the test and control groups at different time points. The study demonstrated that immediate implantation resulted in 1.30 and 1.66 mm reduction in buccal bone plate in the test and control groups, respectively.
Conclusions: The study demonstrated that immediate implantation in the extraction socket together with xenograft failed to prevent bone resorption.
- Berglundh T, Persson L, Klinge B. A systematic review of the incidence of biological and technical complications in implant dentistry reported in prospective longitudinal studies of at least 5 years. J Clin Periodontol. 2002 Dec;29(s3):197-212.
- Cosyn J, Eghbali A, De Bruyn H, Collys K, Cleymaet R, De Rouck T. Immediate single‐tooth implants in the anterior maxilla: 3‐year results of a case series on hard and soft tissue response and aesthetics. J Clin Periodontol. 2011 Aug;38(8):746-53.
- Schulte W, Heimke G. [The Tubinger immediate implant]. Die Quintessenz. 1976 Jun;27(6):17-23.
- Hammerle C, Chen ST, Wilson Jr TG. Consensus statements and recommended clinical procedures regarding the placement of implants in extraction sockets. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2004 Jan;19(Suppl):26-8.
- Schwartz-Arad D, Chaushu G. Placement of implants into fresh extraction sites: 4 to 7 years retrospective evaluation of 95 immediate implants. J Periodontol. 1997 Nov;68(11):1110-6.
- Covani U, Bortolaia C, Barone A, Sbordone L. Bucco-lingual crestal bone changes after immediate and delayed implant placement. J Periodontol. 2004 Dec;75(12):1605-12.
- Araújo MG, Lindhe J. Dimensional ridge alterations following tooth extraction. An experimental study in the dog. J Clin Periodontol. 2005 Feb;32(2):212-8.
- Juodzbalys G, Wang HL. Soft and hard tissue assessment of immediate implant placement: a case series. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2007 Apr;18(2):237-43.
- Araújo MG, Sukekava F, Wennström JL, Lindhe J. Tissue modeling following implant placement in fresh extraction sockets. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2006 Dec;17(6):615-24.
- Januario AL, Barriviera M, Duarte WR. Soft tissue cone‐beam computed tomography: A novel method for the measurement of gingival tissue and the dimensions of the dentogingival unit. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2008 Dec;20(6):366-73.
- Botticelli D, Persson LG, Lindhe J, Berglundh T. Bone tissue formation adjacent to implants placed in fresh extraction sockets: an experimental study in dogs. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2006 Aug;17(4):351-8.
- Vohra F, Al-Kheraif AA, Almas K, Javed F. Comparison of crestal bone loss around dental implants placed in healed sites using flapped and flapless techniques: a systematic review. J periodontol. 2015 Feb;86(2):185-91.
- Araujo M, Linder E, Wennström J, Lindhe J. The influence of Bio-Oss Collagen on healing of an extraction socket: an experimental study in the dog. Int J Periodont Restor Dent. 2008 Apr;28(2).
- Araújo MG, Liljenberg B, Lindhe J. Dynamics of Bio‐Oss® Collagen incorporation in fresh extraction wounds: an experimental study in the dog. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2010 Jan;21(1):55-64.
- Nevins M, Camelo M, De Paoli S, Friedland B, Schenk RK, Parma-Benfenati S, et al. A study of the fate of the buccal wall of extraction sockets of teeth with prominent roots. Int J Periodont Restor Dent. 2006 Jan;26(1).
- Vignoletti F, Matesanz P, Rodrigo D, Figuero E, Martin C, Sanz M. Surgical protocols for ridge preservation after tooth extraction. A systematic review. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2012 Feb;23(s5):22-38.
- Caneva M, Botticelli D, Pantani F, Baffone GM, Rangel Jr IG, Lang NP. Deproteinized bovine bone mineral in marginal defects at implants installed immediately into extraction sockets: an experimental study in dogs. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2012 Jan;23(1):106-12.
- Araújo MG, Lindhe J. Ridge preservation with the use of Bio‐Oss® collagen: A 6‐month study in the dog. Clin Oral implant Res. 2009 May;20(5):433-40.
- O'Leary TJ, Drake RB, Naylor JE. The plaque control record. J Periodontol. 1972 Jan;43(1):38.
- Barzilay I, Graser GN, Iranpour B, Natiella JR. Immediate implantation of a pure titanium implant into an extraction socket: report of a pilot procedure. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1991 Sep;6(3).
- Akimoto K, Becker W, Persson R, Baker DA, Rohrer MD, O'Neal RB. Evaluation of titanium implants placed into simulated extraction sockets: a study in dogs. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1999 May;14(3):351-60.
- Buser D, Arx T, Bruggenkate C, Weingart D. Basic surgical principles with ITI implants. Clin Oral implant Res. 2000 Sep;11(s1):59-68.
- Roe P, Kan JY, Rungcharassaeng K, Caruso JM, Zimmerman G, Mesquida J. Horizontal and vertical dimensional changes of peri-implant facial bone following immediate placement and provisionalization of maxillary anterior single implants: a 1-year cone beam computed tomography study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2012 Apr;27(2).
- Kuchler U, Chappuis V, Gruber R, Lang NP, Salvi GE. Immediate implant placement with simultaneous guided bone regeneration in the esthetic zone: 10‐year clinical and radiographic outcomes. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2016 Feb;27(2):253-7.
- Benic GI, Mokti M, Chen CJ, Weber HP, Hämmerle CH, Gallucci GO. Dimensions of buccal bone and mucosa at immediately placed implants after 7 years: a clinical and cone beam computed tomography study. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2012 May;23(5):560-6.
- Chen ST, Buser D. Esthetic outcomes following immediate and early implant placement in the anterior maxilla—a systematic review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014 Jan;29(Suppl):186-215.
- Slagter KW, den Hartog L, Bakker NA, Vissink A, Meijer HJ, Raghoebar GM. Immediate placement of dental implants in the esthetic zone: a systematic review and pooled analysis. J Periodontol. 2014 Jul;85(7):e241-e50.
- Botticelli D, Berglundh T, Lindhe J. Hard‐tissue alterations following immediate implant placement in extraction sites. J Clin Periodontol. 2004 Oct;31(10):820-8.
- El Sayed E. Clinical and radiographical evaluation of immediate implant versus delayed implant after socket preservation of upper anterior teeth. Alex Dent J. 2015 Dec;40(1).
- Demircan S, Demircan E. Dental cone beam computed tomography analyses of the anterior maxillary bone thickness for immediate implant placement. Implant Dent. 2015 Dec;24(6):664-8.
- Chen ST, Darby IB, Adams GG, Reynolds EC. A prospective clinical study of bone augmentation techniques at immediate implants. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2005 Apr;16(2):176-84.
- Covani U, Cornelini R, Barone A. Vertical crestal bone changes around implants placed into fresh extraction sockets. J Periodontol. 2007 May;78(5):810-5.
- Mazzocco F, Jimenez D, Barallat L, Paniz G, Del Fabbro M, Nart J. Bone volume changes after immediate implant placement with or without flap elevation. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2017 Apr;28(4):495-501.
- Degidi M, Daprile G, Nardi D, Piattelli A. Buccal bone plate in immediately placed and restored implant with Bio‐Oss® collagen graft: a 1‐year follow‐up study. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2013 Nov;24(11):1201-5.
- deM Sartori I, Cardoso L, Ponzoni D. Behaviour of the buccal crestal bone levels after immediate placement of implants subjected to immediate loading. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 Mar;44(3):389-94.
- Sanz M, Cecchinato D, Ferrus J, Pjetursson EB, Lang NP, Lindhe J. A prospective, randomized‐controlled clinical trial to evaluate bone preservation using implants with different geometry placed into extraction sockets in the maxilla. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2010 Jan;21(1):13-21.
- Clementini M, Tiravia L, De Risi V, Vittorini Orgeas G, Mannocci A, Sanctis M. Dimensional changes after immediate implant placement with or without simultaneous regenerative procedures: a systematic review and meta‐analysis. J Clin Periodontol. 2015 Jul;42(7):666-77.
- Lee CT, Chiu TS, Chuang SK, Tarnow D, Stoupel J. Alterations of the bone dimension following immediate implant placement into extraction socket: systematic review and meta‐analysis. J Clin Periodontol. 2014 Sep;41(9):914-26.
- Araújo MG, Linder E, Lindhe J. Bio‐Oss® Collagen in the buccal gap at immediate implants: a 6‐month study in the dog. Clin Oral Implant Res. 2011 Jan;22(1):1-8.
- Novaes Jr AB, Macedo GO, Suaid FA, Barros RR, Souza SL, Silveira e Souza AM. Histologic evaluation of the buccal and lingual bone plates in anterior dog teeth: possible influence on implant dentistry. J Periodontol. 2011 Jun;82(6):872-7.
- Nobuto T, Suwa F, Kono T, Taguchi Y, Takahashi T, Kanemura N, et al. Microvascular response in the periosteum following mucoperiosteal flap surgery in dogs: angiogenesis and bone resorption and formation. J Periodontol. 2005 Aug;76(8):1346-53.