Comparative Evaluation of Retentive Properties of Two Compatible Ball Attachments in Mandibular Implant-Retained Overdentures: An In Vitro Study
Objectives: The retentive properties of implant-retained overdentures (IRO) may be influenced by the type of attachments. The aim of this research was to compare the retention of two dental implant systems with compatible ball attachments, namely Straumann® system (SS) and Rhein83 SRL system (RS) after fatigue testing.
Materials and Methods: Two laboratory models consisting of two parallel Straumann® fixtures at a distance of 22 mm were prepared. Five pairs of each systems' ball attachments were examined (n=5). The samples were soaked in artificial saliva. The retention strength values (RSV) were recorded before the fatigue test and after 1100, 2200, 3300, 4400, and 5500 insertion and removal cycles at a speed of 51 mm/minute with a 50-N load cell in a universal testing machine. The data were analyzed by repeated measures analysis of variance (ANOVA) followed by independent sample t-test with Bonferroni corrections.
Results: There was a decrease in the RSV in both systems after 5500 cycles of insertion and removal. There was a significant statistical difference between the RSV of the normal Sphero Block of the RS (17.52±0.68 N) and that of the Spare Lamella retention inserts of the SS (19.72±0.74 N, P=0.001).
Conclusions: Although the RSVs of the RS and SS were almost similar before the fatigue test, as the number of insertion and removal cycles increased, the RSV decreased more significantly in the RS compared to the SS.
- Hug S, Mantokoudis D, Mericske-Stern R. Clinical evaluation of 3 overdenture concepts with tooth roots and implants: 2-year results. Int J Prosthodont. 2006 May-Jun;19(3):236-43.
- Feine JS, Carlsson GE, Awad MA, Chehade A, Duncan WJ, Gizani S, et al. The McGill consensus statement on overdentures. Mandibular two-implant overdentures as first choice standard of care for edentulous patients. Gerodontology. 2002 Jul;19(1):3-4.
- Chaffee NR, Felton DA, Cooper LF, Palmqvist U, Smith R. Prosthetic complications in an implant-retained mandibular overdenture population: initial analysis of a prospective study. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 Jan;87(1):40-4.
- Alsabeeha NH, Swain MV, Payne AG. Clinical performance and material properties of single-implant overdenture attachment systems. Int J Prosthodont. 2011 May-Jun;24(3):247-54.
- Fromentin O, Lassauzay C, Nader SA, Feine J, de Albuquerque RF Jr. Wear of matrix overdenture attachments after one to eight years of clinical use. J Prosthet Dent. 2012 Mar;107(3):191-8
- Büttel AE, Lüthy H, Sendi P, Marinello CP. Wear of ceramic and titanium ball attachments in subjects with an implant-retained overdenture: a controlled clinical trial. J Prosthet Dent. 2012 Feb;107(2):109-13.
- Cakarer S, Can T, Yaltirik M, Keskin C. Complications associated with the ball, bar and Locator attachments for implant-supported overdentures. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2011 Nov 1;16(7):e953-9.
- Mericske-Stern R. Three-dimensional force measurements with mandibular overdentures connected to implants by ball-shaped retentive anchors. A clinical study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1998 Jan-Feb;13(1):36-43.
- Mattheos N, Li X, Zampelis A, Ma L, Janda M. Investigating the micromorphological differences of the implant-abutment junction and their clinical implications: a pilot study. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2016 Nov;27(11):e134-e143.
- Dixon DL, Breeding LC, Sadler JP, McKay ML. Comparison of screw loosening, rotation, and deflection among three implant designs. J Prosthet Dent. 1995 Sep;74(3):270-8.
- Breeding LC, Dixon DL, Nelson EW, Tietge JD. Torque required to loosen single-tooth implant abutment screws before and after simulated function. Int J Prosthodont. 1993 Sep-Oct;6(5):435-9.
- Pigozzo MN, Mesquita MF, Henriques GE, Vaz LG. The service life of implant-retained overdenture attachment systems. J Prosthet Dent. 2009 Aug;102(2):74-80.
- Botega DM, Mesquita MF, Henriques GE, Vaz LG. Retention force and fatigue strength of overdenture attachment systems. J Oral Rehabil. 2004 Sep;31(9):884-9.
- Hsu KW, Shen YF, Wei PC. Compatible CAD-CAM titanium abutments for posterior single-implant tooth replacement: A retrospective case series. J Prosthet Dent. 2017 Mar;117(3):363-366.
- Lee JR, Lee DH, Hwang JW, Choi JH. Detorque values of abutment screws in a multiple implant-supported prosthesis. J Korean Acad Prosthodont. 2010 Oct;48(4):280-286.
- Dellow AG, Driessen CH, Nel HJ. Scanning electron microscopy evaluation of the interfacial fit of interchanged components of four dental implant systems. Int J Prosthodont. 1997 May-Jun;10(3):216-21.
- Cashman PM, Schneider RL, Schneider GB, Stanford CM, Clancy JM, Qian F. In vitro analysis of post-fatigue reverse-torque values at the dental abutment/implant interface for a unitarian abutment design. J Prosthodont. 2011 Oct;20(7):503-9.
- Gamborena JI, Hazelton LR, NaBadalung D, Brudvik J. Retention of ERA direct overdenture attachments before and after fatigue loading. Int J Prosthodont. 1997 Mar-Apr;10(2):123-30.
- Rutkunas V, Mizutani H, Takahashi H. Evaluation of stable retentive properties of overdenture attachments. Stomatologija. 2005 Jan;7(4):115-20.
- Rutkunas V, Mizutani H, Takahashi H, Iwasaki N. Wear simulation effects on overdenture stud attachments. Dent Mater J. 2011 Nov;30(6):845-53.
- Besimo CE, Guarneri A. In vitro retention force changes of prefabricated attachments for overdentures. J Oral Rehabil. 2003 Jul;30(7):671-8.
- Becker H. [Retention of telescopic crowns]. [Article in German]. ZWR. 1982 Aug;91(8):48-51.
- Zarati S, Memarian M, Karimi S, Bahrami M, Shamshiri AR. Comparative Evaluation of Vertical Microgaps and Torque Loss in Two Ball-Attachment-Systems of Mandibular Implant-Retained-Overdentures. Gavin J Dent Sci. 2016;2016:33-38.
- Korber KH. [Conical crowns - a rational telescopic system]. [Article in German]. ZWR. 1983 Feb;92(2):38-43.
- Tabatabaian F, Alaie F, Seyedan K. Comparison of three attachments in implant-tissue supported overdentures: an in vitro study. J Dent (Tehran). 2010 Summer;7(3):113-8.
- Walton JN, Ruse ND. In vitro changes in clips and bars used to retain implant overdentures. J Prosthet Dent. 1995 Nov;74(5):482-6.
- Epstein DD, Epstein PL, Cohen BI, Pagnillo MK. Comparison of the retentive properties of six prefabricated post overdenture attachment systems. J Prosthet Dent. 1999 Nov;82(5):579-84.
- Setz I, Lee SH, Engel E. Retention of prefabricated attachments for implant stabilized overdentures in the edentulous mandible: an in vitro study. J Prosthet Dent. 1998 Sep;80(3):323-9.
- Berberi A, Tehini G, Rifai K, Bou Nasser Eddine F, El-Zein N, Badran B, et al. In vitro evaluation of leakage at implant-abutment connection of three implant systems having the same prosthetic interface using rhodamine B. Int J Dent. 2014;2014:351263.
- Berberi A, Tehini G, Rifai K, Bou Nasser Eddine F, Badran B, Akl H. Leakage evaluation of original and compatible implant-abutment connections: In vitro study using Rhodamine B. J Dent Biomech. 2014 Aug 11;5:1758736014547143.
- Alves da Cunha Tde M, Correia de Araújo RP, Barbosa da Rocha PV, Pazos Amoedo RM. Comparison of fit accuracy between Procera custom abutments and three implant systems. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2012 Oct;14(5):772-7.
- Berberi A, Maroun D, Kanj W, Amine EZ, Philippe A. Micromovement evaluation of original and compatible abutments at the implant-abutment interface. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2016 Nov 1;17(11):907-913.