A 7-Year Follow-Up of a Fractured Endodontically Treated Incisor Restored with a One-Piece Post and Core Laminate Veneer
To achieve natural-appearing aesthetic results and for the conservation of tooth structure, it is important for practitioners to be aware of technological advances in materials science as well as the proper use of aesthetic dental techniques. This clinical report describes the restoration of a left maxillary lateral incisor using a one-piece post and core laminate veneer. This proposed restoration technique represents an alternative to traditional restoration procedures, such as metal-ceramic restorations, all-ceramic crowns, and conventional porcelain laminate veneers. It also conserves the remaining tooth structure, reestablishes function, and offers satisfactory aesthetics with the use of adhesive bonding techniques.
2. Walton RE, Torabinejad M. Principles and Practice of Endodontics. Philadelphia, PA, USA, WB Saunders, 1989:249-262.
3. McLean JW. Evolution of dental ceramics in the twentieth century. J Prosthet Dent. 2001 Jan;85(1):61-6.
4. Meyenberg KH. Dental esthetics: a European perspective. J Esthet Dent. 1994;6(6):274-81.
5. Takeda T, Ishigami K, Shimada A, Ohki K. A study of discoloration of the gingiva by artificial crowns. Int J Prosthodont. 1996 Mar-Apr;9(2):197-202.
6. Groten M, Girthofer S, Pröbster L. Marginal fit consistency of copy-milled all-ceramic crowns during fabrication by light and scanning electron microscopic analysis in vitro. J Oral Rehabil. 1997 Dec;24(12):871-81.
7. Sevük C, Gür H, Akkayan B. Fabrication of one-piece all-ceramic coronal post and laminate veneer restoration: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 Dec;88(6):565-8.
8. Friedman MJ. The enamel ceramic alternative: porcelain veneers vs metal ceramic crowns. J Calif Dent Assoc. 1992 Aug;20(8):27-33.
9. Sorensen JA, Strutz JM, Avera SP, Materdomini D. Marginal fidelity and microleakage of porcelain veneers made by two techniques. J Prosthet Dent. 1992 Jan;67(1):16-22.
10. Giachetti L, Bertini F, Bambi C. An 8-year follow-up of a fractured endodontically treated incisor restored with a modified laminate veneer. Dent Traumatol. 2008 Feb;24(1):104-7.
11. Dunne SM, Millar BJ. A longitudinal study of the clinical performance of porcelain veneers. Br Dent J. 1993 Nov 6;175(9):317-21.
12. Walls AW. The use of adhesively retained all-porcelain veneers during the management of fractured and worn anterior teeth: Part 2. Clinical results after 5 years of follow-up. Br Dent J. 1995 May 6;178(9):337-40.
13. Christensen GJ, Christensen RP. Clinical observations of porcelain veneers: a three-year report. J Esthet Dent. 1991 Sep-Oct;3(5):174-9.
14. Strassler HE, Nathanson D. Clinical evaluation of etched porcelain veneers over a period of 18 to 42 months. J Esthet Dent. 1989 Jan;1(1):21-8.
15. Bhoyar AG. Esthetic closure of diastema by porcelain laminate veneers: a case report. People’s J Sci Res. 2011 Jan;4(1):47-50.
16. 16-Saridağ S, Akman S, Pekken G. Esthetic restoration of eroded teeth using porcelain laminate veneers with different preparation techniques: case report. J Dent Fac Atatürk Univ. 2011 Sep;21(3):241-244.
17. Pippin DJ, Mixson JM, Soldan-Els AP. Clinical evaluation of restored maxillary incisors: veneers vs. PFM crowns. J Am Dent Assoc. 1995 Nov;126(11):1523-9.
18. Cho GC, Donovan TE, Chee WW. Clinical experiences with bonded porcelain laminate veneers. J Calif Dent Assoc. 1998 Feb;26(2):121-7.
19. Summit JB, Robbins JW, Hilton TJ, Schwartz RS. Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry: A Contemporary Approach. Chicago, IL, USA, Quintessence Pub Co. Inc., 2006:183-242.
20. Karlsson S, Landahl I, Stegersjö G, Milleding P. A clinical evaluation of ceramic laminate veneers. Int J Prosthodont. 1992 Sep-Oct;5(5):447-51.
21. Friedman M. Multiple potential of etched porcelain laminate veneers. J Am Dent Assoc. 1987 Dec;Spec No:83E-87E.
22. Kourkouta S, Walsh TT, Davis LG. The effect of porcelain laminate veneers on gingival health and bacterial plaque characteristics. J Clin Periodontol. 1994 Oct;21(9):638-40.
23. Materdomini D, Friedman MJ. The contact lens effect: enhancing porcelain veneer esthetics. J Esthet Dent. 1995;7(3):99-103.
24. Peumans M, Van Meerbeek B, Lambrechts P, Vanherle G. Porcelain veneers: a review of the literature. J Dent. 2000 Mar;28(3):163-77.
25. Bagis B, Aydoğan E, Bagis YH. Direct restorative treatment of missing maxillary laterals with composite laminate veneer: a case report. Open Dent J. 2008;2:93-5.
26. Alothman Y, Bamasoud MS. The Success of
Dental Veneers According To Preparation Design and Material Type. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018 Dec 20;6(12):2402-2408.
Copyright (c) 2019 Frontiers in Dentistry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.