Effect of Different Application Techniques of Universal Bonding System on Microtensile Bond Strength of Bulk-Fill Composites to Primary and Permanent Dentin
Objectives: This study aimed to determine the microtensile bond strength (μTBS) of a bulk-fill composite to permanent and primary coronal dentin using a universal adhesive in self-etch and total-etch modes.
Materials and Methods: This in-vitro study was performed on 52 occlusal dentinal surfaces of human primary and permanent teeth. The crowns were cut to the gingival level. The 48 prepared dentin sections were randomly assigned to the following groups (n=13): A: Primary/Total-etch, B: Primary/Self-etch, C: Permanent/Total-etch, and D: Permanent/Self-etch. In groups A and C, after etching for 15 seconds, two layers of a universal bonding (Futurabond U) were applied and cured for 10 seconds. All samples were filled with a bulk-fill composite (x-trafil; VOCO) and cured for 40 seconds. The samples were cut to a bar-shaped dentin block with the dimensions of 1×1×1 mm3, and after 10,000 thermocycles, the μTBS test was accomplished at a crosshead speed of 1 mm/minute. The mean and standard deviation (SD) of μTBS were calculated, and the data were analyzed using two-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Fisher's exact test.
Results: The mean μTBS was as follows: A: 15.03±2.0279, B: 11.11±2.4423, C: 23.50±4.8165, and D: 16.26±6.3200 MPa. Futurabond U showed a higher μTBS in the total-etch mode (P<0.001). The permanent teeth had greater μTBS than the primary teeth (P<0.001). Similar percentages of failure modes were observed in the total-etch groups but in the self-etch groups, most failures were in the form of adhesive and mixed.
Conclusion: Greater μTBS was observed in the permanent teeth with
2. Van Meerbeek B, De Munck J, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Vargas M, Vijay P, et al. Buonocore memorial lecture. Adhesion to enamel and dentin: current status and future challenges. Oper Dent. 2003 May-Jun;28(3):215-35.
3. Moore BK, Platt JA, Borges G, Chu TM, Katsilieri I. Depth of cure of dental resin composites: ISO 4049 depth and microhardness of types of materials and shades. Oper Dent. 2008 Jul-Aug;33(4):408-12.
4. Uctasli S, Shortall AC, Burke FJ. Effect of accelerated restorative techniques on the microleakage of Class II composites. Am J Dent. 2002 Jun;15(3):153-8.
5. Poggio C, Chiesa M, Scribante A, Mekler J, Colombo M. Microleakage in Class II composite restorations with margins below the CEJ: in vitro evaluation of different restorative techniques. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2013 Sep 1;18(5):e793-8.
6. Sadeghi M. The effect of fluid composite as gingival layer on microleakage of Class II composite restorations. Dent Res J. 2007 Jan;4(1):40-7.
7. Zavattini A, Mancini M, Higginson J, Foschi F, Pasquantonio G, Mangani F. Micro-computed tomography evaluation of microleakage of Class II composite restorations: An in vitro study. Eur J Dent. 2018 Jul-Sep;12(3):369-374.
8. Flury S, Hayoz S, Peutzfeldt A, Hüsler J, Lussi A. Depth of cure of resin composites: is the ISO 4049 method suitable for bulk fill materials? Dent Mater. 2012 May;28(5):521-8.
9. Ariyoshi M, Nikaido T, Foxton RM, Tagami J. Influence of filling technique and curing mode on the bond strengths of composite cores to pulpal floor dentin. Dent Mater J. 2010 Oct;29(5):562-9.
10. Colak H, Ercan E, Hamidi MM. Shear bond strength of bulk-fill and nano-restorative materials to dentin. Eur J Dent. 2016 Jan-Mar;10(1):40-45.
11. Leinfelder KF. Posterior composite resins: the materials and their clinical performance. J Am Dent Assoc. 1995 May;126(5):663-4, 667-8, 671-2 passim.
12. Chen HY, Manhart J, Hickel R, Kunzelmann KH. Polymerization contraction stress in light-cured packable composite resins. Dent Mater. 2001 May;17(3):253-9.
13. Rosa AJ, da Silva EM, Tostes MA. Scanning electron microscopy analysis of microstructure of the adhesive interface between resin and dentin treated with papain gel. Indian J Dent Res. 2015 Jan-Feb;26(1):77-81.
14. Wagner A, Wendler M, Petschelt A, Belli R, Lohbauer U. Bonding performance of universal adhesives in different etching modes. J Dent. 2014 Jul;42(7):800-7.
15. van Dijken JW, Pallesen U. A randomized controlled three year evaluation of “bulk-filled” posterior resin restorations based on stress decreasing resin technology. Dent Mater. 2014 Sep;30(9):e245-51.
16. Lenzi TL, Raggio DP, Soares FZ, Rocha Rde O. Bonding Performance of a Multimode Adhesive to Artificially-induced Caries-affected Primary Dentin. J Adhes Dent. 2015 Apr;17(2):125-31.
17. Burrow MF, Nopnakeepong U, Phrukkanon S. A comparison of microtensile bond strengths of several dentin bonding systems to primary and permanent dentin. Dent Mater. 2002 May;18(3):239-45.
18. Poptani B, Gohil KS, Ganjiwale J, Shukla M. Microtensile dentin bond strength of fifth with five seventh-generation dentin bonding agents after thermocycling: An in vitro study. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012 Sep;3(Suppl 2):S167-71.
19. Seabra B, Arantes-Oliveira S, Portugal J. Influence of multimode universal adhesives and zirconia primer application techniques on zirconia repair. J Prosthet Dent. 2014 Aug;112(2):182-7.
20. Taschner M, Kümmerling M, Lohbauer U, Breschi L, Petschelt A, Frankenberger R. Effect of double-layer application on dentin bond durability of one-step self-etch adhesives. Oper Dent. 2014 Jul-Aug;39(4):416-26.
21. Perdigão J, Kose C, Mena-Serrano A, De Paula EA, Tay LY, Reis A, et al. A new universal simplified adhesive: 18-month clinical evaluation. Oper Dent. 2014 Mar-Apr;39(2):113-27.
22. Agarwal RS, Hiremath H, Agarwal J, Garg A. Evaluation of cervical marginal and internal adaptation using newer bulk fill composites: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent. 2015 Jan-Feb;18(1):56-61.
23. Tuncer D, Yazici AR, Özgünaltay G, Dayangac B. Clinical evaluation of different adhesives used in the restoration of non‐carious cervical lesions: 24‐month results. Aust Dent J. 2013 Mar;58(1):94-100.
24. Abed YA, Sabry HA, Alrobeigy NA. Degree of conversion and surface hardness of bulk-fill composite versus incremental-fill composite. Tanta Dent J. 2015 Jun;12(2):71-80.
25. Armstrong S, Geraldeli S, Maia R, Raposo LH, Soares CJ, Yamagawa J. Adhesion to tooth structure: a critical review of “micro” bond strength test methods. Dent Mater. 2010 Feb;26(2):e50-62.
26. Armstrong S, Breschi L, Özcan M, Pfefferkorn F, Ferrari M, Van Meerbeek B. Academy of Dental Materials guidance on in vitro testing of dental composite bonding effectiveness to dentin/enamel using micro-tensile bond strength (μTBS) approach. Dent Mater. 2017 Feb;33(2):133-143.
27. Abdelmegid FY. Bond Strength to Primary Teeth Dentin Following Disinfection with 2% Chlorhexidine. Int J Oral Dent Health. 2017;4(1):049.
28. Lee J, Cho KY, Kim JY, Park S, Roh BD, Shin Y. Bonding effectiveness of different dentin conditions on etch-and-rinse mode of two universal adhesives: the confocal laser scanning and shear bond strength. J Adhes Sci Technol. 2017 May;31(9):933-42.
29. Van Landuyt KL, Kanumilli P, De Munck J, Peumans M, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Bond strength of a mild self-etch adhesive with and without prior acid-etching. J Dent. 2006 Jan;34(1):77-85.
30. Sabatini C. Effect of phosphoric acid etching on the shear bond strength of two self-etch adhesives. J Appl Oral Sci. 2013 Jan-Feb;21(1):56-62.
31. Torii Y, Itou K, Nishitani Y, Ishikawa K, Suzuki K. Effect of phosphoric acid etching prior to self-etching primer application on adhesion of resin composite to enamel and dentin. Am J Dent. 2002 Oct;15(5):305-8.
32. Hanabusa M, Mine A, Kuboki T, Momoi Y, Van Ende A, Van Meerbeek B, et al. Bonding effectiveness of a new ‘multi-mode’ adhesive to enamel and dentine. J Dent. 2012 Jun;40(6):475-84.
33. Muñoz MA, Luque I, Hass V, Reis A, Loguercio AD, Bombarda NH. Immediate bonding properties of universal adhesives to dentine. J Dent. 2013 May;41(5):404-11.
34. Vashisth P, Goswami M, Mittal M, Chaudhary S. Comparative evaluation of the effect of different bonding agents on the ultramorphology of primary tooth dentin and the resin dentin interface. J Conserv Dent. 2012 Oct;15(4):357-62.
35. Prabhakar AR, Raj S, Raju OS. Comparison of shear bond strength of composite, compomer and resin modified glass ionomer in primary and permanent teeth: An in vitro study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2003 Sep;21(3):86-94.
36. Perdigão J, Muñoz MA, Sezinando A, Luque-Martinez IV, Staichak R, Reis A, et al. Immediate adhesive properties to dentin and enamel of a universal adhesive associated with a hydrophobic resin coat. Oper Dent. 2014 Sep-Oct;39(5):489-99.
37. Gateva N, Dikov V. Bond strength of self-etch adhesives with primary and permanent teeth dentin–in vitro study. J IMAB. 2012 Mar; 18(2):168-73.
38. Yaseen SM, Subba Reddy VV. Comparative evaluation of shear bond strength of two self-etching adhesives (sixth and seventh generation) on dentin of primary and permanent teeth: an in vitro study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2009 Jan-Mar;27(1):33-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.