Effect of Precuring and Postcuring of Total-Etch and Self-Etch Bonding Agents on the Microleakage of Fissure Sealants
Objectives: Considering the importance of timesaving in pediatric dentistry, if the efficacy is achieved along with shorter working time and less technical sensitivity, the behavior management of young patients can be anticipated. This study aimed to compare the effect of precuring and postcuring of total-etch and self-etch bonding agents on the microleakage of sealants.
Materials and Methods: This study was conducted on forty impacted third molars, which were surgically extracted. The samples were divided into five groups: 1. Control (etching and sealant), 2. Precured fifth-generation bonding agent (Adper Single Bond 2) and fissure sealant, 3. Postcured fifth-generation bonding agent (Adper Single Bond 2) and fissure sealant, 4. Precured seventh-generation bonding agent (Single Bond Universal) and fissure sealant, and 5. Postcured seventh-generation bonding agent (Single Bond Universal) and fissure sealant. All specimens were thermocycled (×1000), immersed in 0.5% basic fuchsine solution for 24 hours, sectioned, digitally photographed, and measured using the LAS EZ program. The data were analyzed using Kruskal-Wallis and Dunn’s tests.
Results: Leakage in the control group and the third group was significantly lower than that in other groups. In pairwise comparisons, a significant difference was found between the control group and the fifth group and between the third group and the fifth group.
Conclusion: The conventional method of sealant placement showed superior results in comparison with the use of an intermediate layer of the bonding agent.
2. Horst JA, Tanzer JM, Milgrom PM. Fluorides and Other Preventive Strategies for Tooth Decay. Dent Clin North Am. 2018 Apr;62(2):207-234.
3. Feigal RJ, Donly KJ. The use of pit and fissure sealants. Pediatr Dent. 2006 Mar-Apr;28(2):143-50; discussion 192-8.
4. Nathe CN. Dental Sealants. In: Harris NO, García-Godoy F, Nathe CN (editors). Primary Preventive Dentistry. Boston, MA, USA: Pearson, 2014:273-85.
5. Simonsen RJ. Retention and effectiveness of dental sealant after 15 years. J Am Dent Assoc. 1991 Oct;122(10):34-42.
6. Simonsen RJ. Pit and fissure sealants. In: Clinical Applications of the Acid Etch Technique, 1st ed., Quintessence Publishing: Hanover Park, IL, USA, 1978:19-42.
7. Borsatto MC, Corona SA, Alves AG, Chimello DT, Catirse AB, Palma-Dibb RG. Influence of salivary contamination on marginal microleakage of pit and fissure sealants. Am J Dent. 2004 Oct;17(5):365-7.
8. Simonsen RJ. Pit and fissure sealant: review of the literature. Pediatr Dent. 2002 Sep-Oct;24(5):393-414.
9. Feigal RJ, Musherure P, Gillespie B, Levy-Polack M, Quelhas I, Hebling J. Improved sealant retention with bonding agents: a clinical study of two-bottle and single-bottle systems. J Dent Res. 2000 Nov;79(11):1850-6.
10. Cehreli ZC, Gungor HC. Quantitative microleakage evaluation of fissure sealants applied with or without a bonding agent: results after four-year water storage in vitro. J Adhes Dent. 2008 Oct;10(5):379-84.
11. Van Meerbeek B, De Munck J, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Vargas M, Vijay P, et al. Buonocore memorial lecture. Adhesion to enamel and dentin: current status and future challenges. Oper Dent. 2003 May-Jun;28(3):215-35.
12. Van Meerbeek B, Vargas M, Inoue S, Yoshida Y, Peumans M, Lambrechts P, et al. Adhesives and cements to promote preservation dentistry. Oper Dent. 2001 Aug;26:119-144.
13. Chapman JL, Burgess JO, Holst S, Sadan A, Blatz MB. Precuring of self-etching bonding agents and its effect on bond strength of resin composite to dentin and enamel. Quintessence Int. 2007 Sep;38(8):637-41.
14. Lim W, Messer LB, Palamara JE. Bonding of resin composite precured or postcured to primary dentin. Pediatr Dent. 2014 Jul-Aug;36(4):E111-7.
15. Sensi LG, Marson FC, Monteiro S Jr, Baratieri LN, Caldeira de Andrada MA. Flowable composites as "filled adhesives:" a microleakage study. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2004 Nov 15;5(4):32-41.
16. Uno S, Finger WJ. Function of the hybrid zone as a stress-absorbing layer in resin-dentin bonding. Quintessence Int. 1995 Oct;26(10):733-8.
17. Eliades GC, Caputo AA. The strength of layering technique in visible light-cured composites. J Prosthet Dent. 1989 Jan;61(1):31-38.
18. Rueggeberg FA, Margeson DH. The effect of oxygen inhibition on an unfilled/filled composite system. J Dent Res. 1990 Oct;69(10):1652-8.
19. Eronat N, Yilmaz E, Kara N, Ak AT. Comparative evaluation of microleakage of nano-filled resin-modified glass ionomer: An in vitro study. Eur J Dent. 2014 Oct;8(4):450-455.
20. Hersek N, Canay S, Akça K, Ciftçi Y. Comparison of microleakage properties of three different filling materials. An autoradiographic study. J Oral Rehabil. 2002 Dec;29(12):1212-7.
21. Crim GA, Garcia-Godoy F. Microleakage: the effect of storage and cycling duration. J Prosthet Dent. 1987 May;57(5):574-576.
22. Kanca J 3rd. Dental Adhesion and the All‐Bond System. J Esthet Res Dent. 1991 Jul;3(4):129-132.
23. Anusavice KJ, Phillips RW, Shen C, Rawls HR. Philip's Science of Dental Materials. 12th ed., St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013:267.
24. Meller C, Reichenmiller K, Schwahn C, Samietz S, Blunck U. Resin-based pit-and-fissure sealants: microleakage reduction and infiltration enhancement using a bonding agent. J Adhes Dent. 2015 Feb;17(1):59-65.
25. Pinar A, Sepet E, Aren G, Bölükbaşi N, Ulukapi H, Turan N. Clinical performance of sealants with and without a bonding agent. Quintessence Int. 2005 May;36(5):355-60.
26. Sundfeld RH, de Oliveira CH, da Silva AM, Briso AL, Sundfeld ML. Resin tag length of one-step and self-etching adhesives bonded to unground enamel. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2005 Aug;46(3):43-9.
27. Mehran M, Zamani Gandomani K. The effect of total etch and self etch on pit and fissure sealant and flowable composites microleakage in permanent teeth. Daneshvar Med. 2006;13(64):69-74.
28. Hannig M, Gräfe A, Atalay S, Bott B. Microleakage and SEM evaluation of fissure sealants placed by use of self-etching priming agents. J Dent. 2004 Jan;32(1):75-81.
29. Celiberti P, Lussi A. Use of a self-etching adhesive on previously etched intact enamel and its effect on sealant microleakage and tag formation. J Dent. 2005 Feb;33(2):163-71.
30. Suh BI. Oxygen‐inhibited layer in adhesion dentistry. J Esthet Res Dent. 2004 Sep;16(5):316-323.
31. Truffier‐Boutry D, Place E, Devaux J, Leloup G. Interfacial layer characterization in dental composite. J Oral Rehabil. 2003 Jan;30(1):74-77.
32. Velazquez E, Vaidyanathan J, Vaidyanathan TK, Houpt M, Shey Z, Von Hagen S. Effect of primer solvent and curing mode on dentin shear bond strength and interface morphology. Quintessence Int. 2003 Jul-Aug;34(7):548-55.
33. Kupiec KA, Barkmeier WW. Laboratory evaluation of surface treatments for composite repair. Oper Dent. 1996 Mar-Apr;21(2):59-62.
34. Finger WJ, Lee KS, Podszun W. Monomers with low oxygen inhibition as enamel/dentin adhesives. Dent Mater. 1996 Jul;12(4):256-61.
35. Li J. Effects of surface properties on bond strength between layers of newly cured dental composites. J Oral Rehabil. 1997 May;24(5):358-60.
36. Shawkat ES, Shortall AC, Addison O, Palin WM. Oxygen inhibition and incremental layer bond strengths of resin composites. Dent Mater. 2009 Nov;25(11):1338-46.
37. Papacchini F, Dall'Oca S, Chieffi N, Goracci C, Sadek FT, Suh BI, et al. Composite-to-composite microtensile bond strength in the repair of a microfilled hybrid resin: effect of surface treatment and oxygen inhibition. J Adhes Dent. 2007 Feb;9(1):25-31.
38. Heidari A, Shahrabi M, Ghadimi S, Mosharafian S, Ansari H, Rafiee Z. The effect of curing time and curing method on microleakage of conservative adhesive resin restorations: an in vitro study. J Dent Med. 2012;25(2):97-102.
39. Cadenaro M, Antoniolli F, Sauro S, Tay FR, Di Lenarda R, Prati C, et al. Degree of conversion and permeability of dental adhesives. Eur J Oral Sci. 2005 Dec;113(6):525-30.
40. Jacobsen T, Söderholm KJ. Some effects of water on dentin bonding. Dent Mater. 1995 Mar;11(2):132-6.
Copyright (c) 2020 Frontiers in Dentistry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.