Effect of Three Wavelengths of Diode Laser on the Efficacy of Bleaching of Stained Teeth
Objectives: Light irradiation and heat have been used to accelerate the process of tooth bleaching. This study aimed to assess the efficacy of conventional bleaching compared to laser-bleaching using three different wavelengths of diode lasers.
Materials and Methods: In this in-vitro experimental study, 40 extracted human central incisors were immersed in a coloring solution made of tea, coffee, and cola for 21 days. The L*, a*, and b* color parameters were measured before and after the immersion using spectrophotometry. The teeth were then randomly divided into four groups (n=10) as follows: group 1: 810-nm diode laser + Biolase Laser White 20, group 2: 940-nm diode laser + Biolase Laser White 20, group 3: 980-nm diode laser + Biolase Laser White 20, and group 4: conventional bleaching with Opalescence Boost without laser irradiation. One-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) was used to assess the effect of laser type and bleaching technique on color parameters.
Results: The 940-nm (∆E=28.5896) and 810-nm laser groups (∆E=21.2382) showed the highest and the lowest bleaching efficacy, respectively; however, the groups were not significantly different in terms of bleaching efficacy (P>0.05).
Conclusion: Laser-bleaching with 810-, 940- and 980-nm wavelengths of diode laser has an efficacy similar to that of conventional bleaching but in a shorter period. No difference was noted between different laser wavelengths in terms of bleaching efficacy.
2. Gomes MN, Francci C, Medeiros IS, De Godoy Froes Salgado NR, Riehl H, Marasca JM, et al. Effect of light irradiation on tooth whitening: enamel microhardness and color change. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2009;21(6):387-94.
3. Gökay O, Müjdeci A, Algin E. In vitro peroxide penetration into the pulp chamber from newer bleaching products. Int Endod J. 2005 Aug;38(8):516-20.
4. Yu H, Li Q, Cheng H, Wang Y. The effects of temperature and bleaching gels on the properties of tooth-colored restorative materials. J Prosthet Dent. 2011 Feb;105(2):100-7.
5. Luk K, Tam L, Hubert M. Effect of light energy on peroxide tooth bleaching. J Am Dent Assoc. 2004 Feb;135(2):194-201; quiz 228-9.
6. Kiomarsi N, Salim S, Sarraf P, Javad-Kharazifard M, Chiniforush N. Evaluation of the Diode laser (810nm, 980nm) on dentin tubule diameter following internal bleaching. J Clin Exp Dent. 2016 Jul 1;8(3):e241-5.
7. Ergin E, Ruya Yazici A, Kalender B, Usumez A, Ertan A, Gorucu J, et al. In vitro comparison of an Er:YAG laser-activated bleaching system with different light-activated bleaching systems for color change, surface roughness, and enamel bond strength. Lasers Med Sci. 2018 Dec;33(9):1913-1918.
8. Nguyen C, Augros C, Rocca JP, Lagori G, Fornaini C. KTP and Er:YAG laser dental bleaching comparison: a spectrophotometric, thermal and morphologic analysis. Lasers Med Sci. 2015 Nov;30(8):2157-64.
9. Akın M, Ozyılmaz OY, Yavuz T, Aykent F, Bascıftcı FA. Effect of Nd:YAG laser bleaching and antioxidizing agents on the shear bond strength of brackets. Photomed Laser Surg. 2013 Aug;31(8):365-70.
10. Abdelfattah MM. Different types of laser use in teeth bleaching. J Med Med Sci. 2014 Nov;5(10):230-7.
11. Patil UA, Dhami LD. Overview of lasers. Indian J Plast Surg. 2008 Oct;41(Suppl):S101-13.
12. Wetter NU, Walverde D, Kato IT, Eduardo Cde P. Bleaching efficacy of whitening agents activated by xenon lamp and 960-nm diode radiation. Photomed Laser Surg. 2004 Dec;22(6):489-93.
13. Liang S, Sa Y, Sun L, Ma X, Wang Z, Xing W, et al. Effect of halogen light irradiation on hydrogen peroxide bleaching: an in vitro study. Aust Dent J. 2012 Sep;57(3):277-83.
14. Kwon SR, Kurti SR Jr, Oyoyo U, Li Y. Effect of Light‐Activated Tooth Whitening on Color Change Relative to Color of Artificially Stained Teeth. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2015 Mar-Apr;27 Suppl 1:S10-7.
15. Jones AH, Diaz-Arnold AM, Vargas MA, Cobb DS. Colorimetric assessment of laser and home bleaching techniques. J Esthet Dent. 1999;11(2):87-94.
16. Tavares M, Stultz J, Newman M, Smith V, Kent R, Carpino E, et al. Light augments tooth whitening with peroxide. J Am Dent Assoc. 2003 Feb;134(2):167-75.
17. Joiner A. The bleaching of teeth: a review of the literature. J Dent. 2006 Aug;34(7):412-9.
18. Rosenstiel SF, Gegauff AG, Johnston WM. Duration of tooth color change after bleaching. J Am Dent Assoc. 1991 Apr;122(4):54-9.
19. Bortolatto JF, Pretel H, Santezi Neto C, de Andrade MF, Moncada G, de Oliveira OB. Effects of LED–laser hybrid light on bleaching effectiveness and tooth sensitivity: a randomized clinical study. Laser Phys Lett. 2013 Jun 20;10(8):085601.
20. Shahabi S, Assadian H, Mahmoudi Nahavandi A, Nokhbatolfoghahaei H. Comparison of tooth color change after bleaching with conventional and different light-activated methods. J Lasers Med Sci. 2018 Winter;9(1):27-31.
21. Usumez A, Ozturk N, Ozturk B. Two-year color changes of light-cured composites: influence of different light-curing units. Oper Dent. 2005 Sep 1;30(5):655-60.
22. CIE Recommendations on Uniform Color Spaces, Color‐Difference Equations, and Metric Color Terms. Color Res Appl. 1977 Spring;2(1):5-6. Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/j.1520-6378.1977.tb00102.x /Accessed March 14, 2019.
23. Özat PB, Tuncel İ, Eroğlu E. Repeatability and reliability of human eye in visual shade selection. J Oral Rehabil. 2013 Dec;40(12):958-64.
24. Joiner A. Tooth colour: a review of the literature. J Dent. 2004;32 Suppl 1:3-12.
25. Meireles SS, Fontes ST, Coimbra LA, Della Bona Á, Demarco FF. Effectiveness of different carbamide peroxide concentrations used for tooth bleaching: an in vitro study. J Appl Oral Sci. 2012 Mar-Apr;20(2):186-91.
26. Guler AU, Kurt S, Kulunk T. Effects of various finishing procedures on the staining of provisional restorative materials. J Prosthet
Dent. 2005 May;93(5):453-8.
27. Hahn P, Schondelmaier N, Wolkewitz M, Altenburger MJ, Polydorou O. Efficacy of tooth bleaching with and without light activation and its effect on the pulp temperature: an in vitro study. Odontology. 2013 Jan;101(1):67-74.
28. Fornaini C, Lagori G, Merigo E, Meleti M, Manfredi M, Guidotti R, et al. Analysis of shade, temperature and hydrogen peroxide concentration during dental bleaching: in vitro study with the KTP and diode lasers. Lasers Med Sci. 2013 Jan;28(1):1-6.
Copyright (c) 2020 Frontiers in Dentistry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.