Effect of Two Educational Interventions Regarding the Management of Traumatic Dental Injuries on Mothers of 8-Year-Old Children
Objectives: This study evaluated the effect of two educational interventions on knowledge and self-reported practice of mothers of 8-year-old children regarding emergency management of traumatic dental injuries (TDIs).
Materials and Methods: Six public elementary schools (girls and boys) in Tehran were randomly selected. The mothers of 8-year-old students at each school were randomly assigned to three groups: intervention by poster, intervention by pamphlet, and control. An anonymous valid and reliable questionnaire, including demographics, previous experience on TDIs, mothers’ knowledge, and self-reported practice about emergency management of TDIs was provided to the mothers. After collecting the questionnaires, educational interventions by poster and pamphlet with similar contents regarding step-by-step emergency management of TDIs were performed for the target groups. Three months after the interventions, the same questionnaire was completed by the mothers. The results of pre-test and post-test were compared.
Results: Totally, 201 mothers participated in this study. The mean knowledge score significantly increased in the pamphlet group after the intervention, while this change was not significant in the poster and control groups (P>0.05). The mean knowledge score was significantly higher in the pamphlet group than the poster group (P=0.009). The mean self-reported practice score significantly increased after the intervention in both intervention groups (P<0.05) but not in the control group. There was no significant difference in the mean self-reported practice score between the two intervention groups (P>0.05).
Conclusion: Both pamphlet and poster were equally effective in improving the self-reported practice of mothers regarding TDIs, which highlights the significance of educating mothers.
2. Petti S, Glendor U, Andersson L. World traumatic dental injury prevalence and incidence, a meta-analysis-One billion living people have had traumatic dental injuries. Dent Traumatol. 2018 Apr;34(2):71-86.
3. Al-Asfour A, Andersson L. The effect of a leaflet given to parents for first aid measures after tooth avulsion. Dent Traumatol. 2008 Oct;24(5):515-21.
4. Hegde AM, Kumar KN, Varghese E. Knowledge of dental trauma among mothers in Mangalore. Dent Traumatol. 2010 Oct;26(5):417-21.
5. Glendor U. Etiology and risk factors related to traumatic dental injuries--a review of the literature. Dent Traumatol. 2009 Feb;25(1):19-31.
6. Santos ME, Habecost AP, Gomes FV, Weber JB, de Oliveira MG. Parent and caretaker knowledge about avulsion of permanent teeth. Dent Traumatol. 2009 Apr;25(2):203-8.
7. Traebert J, Traiano ML, Armênio R, Barbieri DB, de Lacerda JT, Marcenes W. Knowledge of lay people and dentists in emergency management of dental trauma. Dent Traumatol. 2009 Jun;25(3):277-83.
8. Daly B, Batchelor P, Treasure E, Watt R. Essential Dental Public Health. Oxford, UK, Oxford University Press, 2nd ed., 2013;169-73.
9. Zaleckiene V, Peciuliene V, Brukiene V, Drukteinis S. Traumatic dental injuries: etiology, prevalence and possible outcomes. Stomatologija. 2014 Mar;16(1):7-14.
10. Glendor U. Epidemiology of traumatic dental injuries--a 12-year review of the literature. Dent Traumatol. 2008 Dec;24(6):603-11.
11. Hashim R. Investigation of mothers' knowledge of dental trauma management in United Arab Emirates. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2012 Apr;13(2):83-6.
12. Cosme-Silva L, Fernandes LA, Rosselli ER, Poi WR, Martins NDS, de Lima DC. Tooth injuries: Knowledge of parents of public school students from the city of Alfenas, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Dent Traumatol 2018 Apr;34(2):93-99.
13. Tzimpoulas N, Markou M, Zioutis V, Tzanetakis GN. A questionnaire-based survey for the evaluation of the knowledge level of primary school teachers on first-aid management of traumatic dental injuries in Athens, Greece. Dent Traumatol. 2020 Feb;36(1):41-50.
14. Alluqmani FA, Omar OM. Assessment of schoolteachers' knowledge about management of traumatic dental injuries in Al-Madinah city, Saudi Arabia. Eur J Dent. 2018 Apr;12(2):171-5.
15. Newman LJ, Crawford PJ. Dental injuries: ‘first aid’ knowledge of Southampton teachers of physical education. Endod Dent Traumatol. 1991 Dec;7(6):255-8.
16. Chan AW, Wong TK, Cheung GS. Lay knowledge of physical education teachers about the emergency management of dental trauma in Hong Kong. Dent Traumatol. 2001 Apr;17(2):77-85.
17. Arikan V, Sönmez H. Knowledge level of primary school teachers regarding traumatic dental injuries and their emergency management before and after receiving an informative leaflet. Dent Traumatol. 2012 Apr;28(2): 101-7.
18. Al-Jundi SH. Knowledge of Jordanian mothers with regards to emergency management of dental trauma. Dent Traumatol. 2006 Dec;22(6):291-5.
19. Oliveira T, Moretti A, Santos C, Sakai V, Silva T, Machado M. Knowledge and attitude of mothers with regard to emergency management of dental avulsion. J Den for Child (Chic). 2007 Sep;74(3):200-2.
20. Jabarifar E, Khadem P, Heidari M. Mothers’ awareness of dental trauma environmental and individual risk factors and prevention modalities for susceptible elementary pupils of Isfahan/Iran. Braz J Dent Traumatol 2011;2(2):50-64.
21. Ghaderi F, Adl A, Ranjbar Z. Effect of a leaflet given to parents on knowledge of tooth avulsion. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2013 Mar;14(1):13-6.
22. Levin L, Zadik Y. Education on and prevention of dental trauma: it's time to act! Dent Traumatol. 2012 Feb;28(1):49-54.
23. Iskander M, Lou J, Wells M, Scarbecz M. A poster and a mobile healthcare application as information tools for dental trauma management. Dent Traumatol. 2016 Dec;32(6):457-63.
24. Diangelis AJ, Andreasen JO, Ebeleseder KA, Kenny DJ, Trope M, Sigurdsson A, et al. Guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries: 1. Fractures and luxations of permanent teeth. Pediatr Dent. 2017 Sep;39(6):401-11.
25. Andersson L, Andreasen JO, Day P, Heithersay G, Trope M, Diangelis AJ, et al. Guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries: 2. Avulsion of permanent teeth. Pediatr Dent. 2017 Sep;39(6):412-9.
26. Casamassimo P, Fields H, McTigue D, Nowak A. Pediatric dentistry: Infancy through Adolescence. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Elsevier, 5th ed. 2013;503-17.
27. McDonald RE, Avery DR, Dean JA. Dentistry for the child and adolescent. Mosby, USA, 10th ed., 2016;563-602.
28. Glendor U. Has the education of professional caregivers and lay people in dental trauma care failed? Dent Traumatol. 2009 Feb;25(1):12-8.
29. Frujeri Mde L, Costa ED Jr. Effect of a single dental health education on the management of permanent avulsed teeth by different groups of professionals. Dent Traumatol. 2009 Jun;25(3):262-71.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.