Effects of Orthodontic Adhesives on Dental Enamel Color Alteration Using Chemically Cured and Light-Cured Composites
Objectives: The purpose of this investigation was to evaluate the color alteration of dental enamel following the use of light-cured and chemically cured composites for bonding of metal brackets.
Materials and Methods: Sixty extracted human premolars divided into five groups (n=12) were included in this study. Metal brackets were bonded using chemically cured (System 1+ and Unite) and light-cured (Transbond XT and Grengloo) composites. The control group remained untreated. After 72 hours of immersion in a staining solution and 24 hours of photoaging, the brackets were debonded, and adhesive remnants were cleaned using a 12-blade tungsten carbide bur and polished with Sof-Lex discs. The color was assessed at the baseline and after cleaning procedures in accordance with the CIE L*a*b (lightness, red/green, blue/yellow) color system. Statistical analyses were performed using paired sample t-test and one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA).
Results: The L*, a*, and b* parameters showed a significant increase in all adhesive groups (P<0.001). The experimental groups showed significant color changes (P<0.05), and the mean ΔE ranged from 2.46 to 3.15 units. No significant difference was found between the ΔE of the adhesive groups (P>0.05).
Conclusion: The enamel color change is influenced by bonding and debonding procedures. Chemically cured and light-cured composites have similar effects on dental enamel color alterations.
2. Ireland AJ, Hosein I, Sherriff M. Enamel loss at bond-up, debond and clean-up following the use of a conventional light-cured composite and a resin-modified glass polyalkenoate cement. Eur J Orthod. 2005 Aug;27(4):413-9.
3. Boncuk Y, Çehreli ZC, Polat-Özsoy Ö. Effects of different orthodontic adhesives and resin removal techniques on enamel color alteration. Angle Orthod. 2014 Jul;84(4):634-41.
4. Cochrane NJ, Lo TWG, Adams GG, Schneider PM. Quantitative analysis of enamel on debonded orthodontic brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017 Sep;152(3):312-319.
5. Gorucu-Coskuner H, Atik E, Taner T. Tooth color change due to different etching and debonding procedures. Angle Orthod. 2018 Nov;88(6):779-784.
6. Ryf S, Flury S, Palaniappan S, Lussi A, van Meerbeek B, Zimmerli B. Enamel loss and adhesive remnants following bracket removal and various clean-up procedures in vitro. Eur J Orthod. 2012 Feb;34(1):25-32.
7. Vieira-Junior WF, Vieira I, Ambrosano GM, Aguiar FH, Lima DA. Correlation between alteration of enamel roughness and tooth color. J Clin Exp Dent. 2018 Aug 1;10(8):e815-e820.
8. Ramesh Kumar KR, Shanta Sundari KK, Venkatesan A, Chandrasekar S. Depth of resin penetration into enamel with 3 types of enamel conditioning methods: a confocal microscopic study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011 Oct;140(4):479-85.
9. Eliades T, Kakaboura A, Eliades G, Bradley TG. Comparison of enamel colour changes associated with orthodontic bonding using two different adhesives. Eur J Orthod. 2001 Feb;23(1):85-90.
10. Çörekçi B, Irgın C, Malkoç S, Öztürk B. Effects of staining solutions on the discoloration of orthodontic adhesives: an in-vitro study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010 Dec;138(6):741-6.
11. Asmussen E, Hansen EK. Surface discoloration of restorative resins in relation to surface softening and oral hygiene. Scand J Dent Res. 1986 Apr;94(2):174-7.
12. Ruyter IE. Composites--characterization of composite filling materials: reactor response. Adv Dent Res. 1988 Aug;2(1):122-9; discussion 129-33.
13. Kaya Y, Alkan Ö, Değirmenci A, Keskin S. Long-term follow-up of enamel color changes after treatment with fixed orthodontic appliances. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2018 Aug;154(2):213-220.
14. Karamouzos A, Athanasiou AE, Papadopoulos MA, Kolokithas G. Tooth-color assessment after orthodontic treatment: a prospective clinical trial. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010 Nov;138(5):537.e1-8; discussion 537-9.
15. Ye C, Zhao Z, Zhao Q, Du X, Ye J, Wei X. Comparison of enamel discoloration associated with bonding with three different orthodontic adhesives and cleaning-up with four different procedures. J Dent. 2013 Nov;41 Suppl 5:e35-40.
16. Eliades T, Gioka C, Heim M, Eliades G, Makou M. Color stability of orthodontic adhesive resins. Angle Orthod. 2004 Jun;74(3):391-3.
17. Trakyali G, Ozdemir FI, Arun T. Enamel colour changes at debonding and after finishing procedures using five different adhesives. Eur J Orthod. 2009 Aug;31(4):397-401.
18. Chang JY, Chen WC, Huang TK, Wang JC, Fu PS, Chen JH, et al. Evaluation of the accuracy and limitations of three tooth-color measuring machines. J Dent Sci. 2015 Mar;10(1):16-20.
19. Johnston WM, Kao EC. Assessment of appearance match by visual observation and clinical colorimetry. J Dent Res. 1989 May;68(5):819-22.
20. Cörekçi B, Toy E, Oztürk F, Malkoç S, Oztürk B. Effects of contemporary orthodontic composites on tooth color following short-term fixed orthodontic treatment: a controlled clinical study. Turk J Med Sci. 2015;45(6):1421-8.
21. Al Shamsi AH, Cunningham JL, Lamey PJ, Lynch E. Three-dimensional measurement of residual adhesive and enamel loss on teeth after debonding of orthodontic brackets: an in-vitro study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007 Mar;131(3):301.e9-15.
22. Imamura S, Takahashi H, Hayakawa I, Loyaga-Rendon PG, Minakuchi S. Effect of filler type and polishing on the discoloration of composite resin artificial teeth. Dent Mater J. 2008 Nov;27(6):802-8.
23. Yap AU, Sim CP, Loganathan V. Polymerization color changes of esthetic restoratives. Oper Dent. 1999 Sep-Oct;24(5):306-11.
24. Eldiwany M, Friedl KH, Powers JM. Color stability of light-cured and post-cured composites. Am J Dent. 1995 Aug;8(4):179-81.
25. Faltermeier A, Rosentritt M, Reicheneder C, Behr M. Discolouration of orthodontic adhesives caused by food dyes and ultraviolet light. Eur J Orthod. 2008 Feb;30(1):89-93.
26. Santerre JP, Shajii L, Leung BW. Relation of dental composite formulations to their degradation and the release of hydrolyzed polymeric-resin-derived products. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2001;12(2):136-51.
27. Joo HJ, Lee YK, Lee DY, Kim YJ, Lim YK. Influence of orthodontic adhesives and clean-up procedures on the stain susceptibility of enamel after debonding. Angle Orthod. 2011 Mar;81(2):334-40.
28. ten Bosch JJ, Coops JC. Tooth color and reflectance as related to light scattering and enamel hardness. J Dent Res. 1995 Jan;74(1):374-80.
29. Satou N, Khan AM, Matsumae I, Satou J, Shintani H. In vitro color change of composite-based resins. Dent Mater. 1989 Nov;5(6):384-7.
30. Hosein I, Sherriff M, Ireland AJ. Enamel loss during bonding, debonding, and cleanup with use of a self-etching primer. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2004 Dec;126(6):717-24.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.