Effect of Cavity Disinfection with Chlorhexidine on Marginal Gap of Class V Composite Restorations Bonded with a Universal Adhesive Using Self-Etch and Etch-and-Rinse Bonding Strategy
Objectives: This in-vitro study aimed to evaluate the effect of cavity disinfection with chlorhexidine (CHX) on marginal gaps of Class V composite resin restorations bonded with a universal adhesive using self-etch and etch-and-rinse bonding strategy.
Materials and Methods: Sixty sound human premolars were randomly assigned to two groups (n=30): group 1 (CHX) and group 2 (no CHX). Each group was divided into two subgroups (n=15) according to the bonding strategy of the universal adhesive (self-etch or etch-and-rinse). Class V cavities were prepared on the buccal surfaces of the teeth. The occlusal and gingival margins of the cavities were placed in enamel and dentin, respectively. In the first and second subgroups of both groups, the All-Bond Universal adhesive was applied with self-etch and etch-and-rinse bonding strategy, respectively. After restoration and thermocycling, the samples were sectioned, and marginal gaps at the gingival margins were measured in micrometer (µm) under a stereomicroscope. Two-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) was used to compare marginal gaps between the groups and the subgroups.
Results: The mean marginal gap size was significantly affected by cavity disinfection (P=0.001) and bonding strategy (P=0.002). However, the interaction effect of these two factors on the mean marginal gap size was not significant (P=0.79).
Conclusion: The use of CHX resulted in larger marginal gaps at the gingival margins of Class V composite resin restorations. Irrespective of disinfection, the self-etch bonding strategy resulted in larger marginal gaps compared to the etch-and-rinse bonding strategy.
2. Brännström M. The cause of postrestorative sensitivity and its prevention. J Endod. 1986 Oct;12(10):475-81.
3. Yip HK, Stevenson AG, Beeley JA. The specificity of caries detector dyes in cavity preparation. Br Dent J. 1994 Jun;176(11):417-21.
4. Gürgan S, Bolay S, Kiremitçi A. Effect of disinfectant application methods on the bond strength of composite to dentin. J Oral Rehabil. 1999 Oct;26(10):836-40.
5. Turkun M, Ozata F, Uzer E, Ates M. Antimicrobial substantivity of cavity disinfectants. Gen Dent. 2005 May-Jun;53(3):182-6.
6. Ersin NK, Aykut A, Candan U, Onçağ O, Eronat C, Kose T. The effect of a chlorhexidine containing cavity disinfectant on the clinical performance of high-viscosity glass-ionomer cement following ART: 24-month results. Am J Dent. 2008 Feb;21(1):39-43.
7. Kimyai S, Pournaghi-Azar F, Naser-Alavi F, Salari A. Effect of disinfecting the cavity with chlorhexidine on the marginal gaps of Cl V giomer restorations. J Clin Exp Dent. 2017 Feb 1;9(2):e202-e206.
8. Tulunoglu O, Ayhan H, Olmez A, Bodur H. The effect of cavity disinfectants on microleakage in dentin bonding systems. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 1998 Summer;22(4):299-305.
9. Sacramento PA, de Castilho AR, Banzi EC, Puppi-Rontani RM. Influence of cavity disinfectant and adhesive systems on the bonding procedure in demineralized dentin - a one-year in vitro evaluation. J Adhes Dent. 2012 Dec;14(6):575-83.
10. Suma NK, Shashibhushan KK, Subba Reddy VV. Effect of dentin disinfection with 2% chlorhexidine gluconate and 0.3% iodine on dentin bond strength: an in vitro study. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2017 Jul-Sep;10(3):223-8.
11. Reddy MS, Mahesh MC, Bhandary S, Pramod J, Shetty A, Prashanth MB. Evaluation of effect of different cavity disinfectants on shear bond strength of composite resin to dentin using two-step self-etch and one-step self-etch bonding systems: a comparative in vitro study. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013 Mar;14(2):275-80.
12. Vieira Rde S, da Silva IA Jr. Bond strength to primary tooth dentin following disinfection with a chlorhexidine solution: an in vitro study. Pediatr Dent. 2003 Jan-Feb;25(1):49-52.
13. Ercan E, Erdemir A, Zorba YO, Eldeniz AU, Dalli M, Ince B, et al. Effect of different cavity disinfectants on shear bond strength of composite resin to dentin. J Adhes Dent. 2009 Oct;11(5):343-6.
14. Dos Santos RA, de Lima EA, Montes MAJR, Braz R. Pre-treating dentin with chlorhexadine and CPP-ACP: self-etching and universal adhesive systems. Acta Biomater Odontol Scand. 2016 Jul 1;2(1):79-85.
15. Shadman N, Farzin-Ebrahimi S, Mortazavi-Lahijani E, Jalali Z. Effect of chlorhexidine on the durability of a new universal adhesive system. J Clin Exp Dent. 2018 Sep 1;10(9):e921-e926.
16. Tekçe N, Tuncer S, Demirci M, Balci S. Do matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors improve the bond durability of universal dental adhesives? Scanning. 2016 Nov;38(6):535-44.
17. Muñoz MA, Luque I, Hass V, Reis A, Loguercio AD, Bombarda NH. Immediate bonding properties of universal adhesives to dentine. J Dent. 2013 May;41(5):404-11.
18. Rosa WL, Piva E, Silva AF. Bond strength of universal adhesives: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent. 2015 Jul;43(7):765-76.
19. Kimyai S, Ajami AA, Chaharom ME, Oskoee JS. Comparison of microleakage of three adhesive systems in class V composite restorations prepared with Er,Cr:YSGG laser. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Aug;28(4):505-10.
20. Oskoee PA, Kimyai S, Ebrahimi Chaharom ME, Rikhtegaran S, Pournaghi-Azar F. Cervical margin integrity of Class II resin composite restorations in laser- and bur-prepared cavities using three different adhesive systems. Oper Dent. 2012 May-Jun;37(3):316-23.
21. Di Hipólito V, Rodrigues FP, Piveta FB, Azevedo Lda C, Bruschi Alonso RC, Silikas N, et al. Effectiveness of self-adhesive luting cements in bonding to chlorhexidine-treated dentin. Dent Mater. 2012 May;28(5):495-501.
22. Lima JFM, Wajngarten D, Islam F, Clifford J, Botta AC. Effect of adhesive mode and chlorhexidine on microtensile strength of universal bonding agent to sound and caries-affected dentins. Eur J Dent. 2018 Oct-Dec;12(4):553-8.
23. De Munck J, Van Landuyt K, Peumans M, Poitevin A, Lambrechts P, Braem M, et al. A critical review of the durability of adhesion to tooth tissue: methods and results. J Dent Res. 2005 Feb;84(2):118-32.
24. Al-Qrimli AF, Al-Shamma AMW. Comparative evaluation of the effect of different universal adhesives and bonding techniques on the marginal gap of class I composite restoration (a SEM study). J Bagh Coll Dent. 2016 Dec;28(4):34-42.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.