Oral Health Related Quality of Life of Patients Using Conventional Dentures versus Implant-Supported Overdentures
Objectives: This study aimed to compare the oral health related quality of life (OHRQoL) of patients using conventional dentures versus implant-supported overdentures.
Materials and Methods: This study evaluated the OHRQoL of 90 patients between 35 to 75 years who were selected from several public and private dental clinics in Tehran in 2018. Of all, 45 had conventional dentures of both jaws, and 45 had a mandibular overdenture supported by two implants at the site of mandibular canine teeth and a conventional maxillary denture. The OHRQoL of patients was determined using the Oral Health Impact Prfile-20 (OHIP-20). The questionnaire was translated to Persian, and its content validity and internal consistency were confirmed. Data were analyzed by one-way ANOVA, Mann-Whitney test, and independent t-test.
Results: In the conventional denture group, 46.7% had good, 46.7% had moderate, and 6.6% had poor OHRQoL. These values were 55.6%, 37.8% and 6.6% in the overdenture group, respectively. Level of education had a significant correlation with the total score of OHIP-20 in both groups (P<0.05). But no significant association was noted between the residential status and gender of patients with different domains of OHRQoL (P>0.05) except for the psychological disability domain, which had a higher mean value in males with conventional dentures (P<0.05).
Conclusion: Patients with a mandibular overdenture supported by two implants at the site of canine teeth and a conventional maxillary denture had higher OHRQoL than patients with conventional dentures of both jaws.
2. Kutkut A, Bertoli E, Frazer R, Pinto-Sinai G, Hidalgo RF, Studts J. A systematic review of studies comparing conventional complete denture and implant retained overdenture. J Prosthodont Res. 2018 Jan;62(1):1-9.
3. Sánchez-Siles M, Ballester-Ferrandis JF, Salazar-Sánchez N, Gómez-García FJ, Moraleja-Ruiz R, Camacho-Alonso F. Long-term evaluation of quality of life and satisfaction between implant bar overdentures and conventional complete dentures: A 23 years retrospective study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2018 Apr;20(2):208-14.
4. Bidra AS, Zapata G, Agar JR, Taylor TD, Grady J. Differences in lip support with and without labial flanges in a maxillary edentulous population. Part 1: Objective analysis. J Prosthodont. 2018 Jan;27(1):10-6.
5. Begum SS, Devaki V, Balu K, Ajay R, Kumar PA. Awareness about mandibular implant overdentures among edentulous patients in Namakkal district: A hospital-based study. J Indian Acad Dent Spec Res. 2017 Jul;4:33-7.
6. Sadowsky SJ, Zitzmann NU. Protocols for the Maxillary Implant Overdenture: A Systematic Review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2016;31 Suppl:s182-91.
7. Yazdi Feyzabadi V, Seyfaddini R, Ghandi M, Mehrolhasani MH. The World Health Organization's definition of health: A short review of critiques and necessity of a shifting paradigm. Iranian Journal of Epidemiology. 2018 Mar;13:155-65.
8. Torrance GW. Utility approach to measuring health-related quality of life. J Chronic Dis. 1987;40(6):593-603.
9. Andiappan M, Gao W, Bernabé E, Kandala NB, Donaldson AN. Malocclusion, orthodontic treatment, and the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14): Systematic review and meta-analysis. Angle Orthod. 2015 May;85(3):493-500.
10. Daly B, Newton T, Batchelor P, Jones K. Oral health care needs and oral health-related quality of life (OHIP-14) in homeless people. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2010 Apr;38(2):136-44.
11. Allen PF, McMillan AS. A longitudinal study of quality of life outcomes in older adults requesting implant prostheses and complete removable dentures. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2003 Apr;14(2):173-9.
12. Heydecke G, Locker D, Awad MA, Lund JP, Feine JS. Oral and general health-related quality of life with conventional and implant dentures. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2003 Jun;31(3):161-8.
13. Kuo HC, Chen JH, Wu JH, Chou TM, Yang YH. Application of the oral health impact profile (OHIP) among Taiwanese elderly. Qual Life Res. 2011 Dec;20(10):1707-13.
14. Oldridge NB, Guyatt GH, Fischer ME, Rimm AA. Cardiac rehabilitation after myocardial infarction: combined experience of randomized clinical trials. JAMA. 1988 Aug;260(7):945-50.
15. Danielsen AK, Pommergaard HC, Burcharth J, Angenete E, Rosenberg J. Translation of questionnaires measuring health related quality of life is not standardized: a literature based research study. PLoS One. 2015 May;10(5):e0127050.
16. León S, Bravo-Cavicchioli D, Correa-Beltrán G, Giacaman RA. Validation of the Spanish version of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14Sp) in elderly Chileans. BMC Oral Health. 2014 Dec;14(1):95.
17. Ikebe K, Watkins CA, Ettinger RL, Sajima H, Nokubi T. Application of short-form oral health impact profile on elderly Japanese. Gerodontology. 2004 Sep;21(3):167-76.
18. Montero J, Macedo C, López-Valverde A, Bravo M. Validation of the oral health impact profile (OHIP-20sp) for Spanish edentulous patients. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2012 May;17(3):e469-76.
19. Papagiannopoulou V, Oulis CJ, Papaioannou W, Antonogeorgos G, Yfantopoulos J. Validation of a Greek version of the oral health impact profile (OHIP-14) for use among adults. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2012 Jan;10:7.
20. Rodakowska E, Mierzyńska K, Bagińska J, Jamiołkowski J. Quality of life measured by OHIP-14 and GOHAI in elderly people from Bialystok, north-east Poland. BMC Oral Health. 2014 Dec;14(1):106.
21. Rodríguez NI, de la Rubia JM. Adaptation and content validity by expert judgment of the Oral Health Impact Profile applied to Periodontal Disease. J Oral Res. 2017 Apr;6(4):92-6.
22. Couto P, Pereira PA, Nunes M, Mendes RA. Validation of a Portuguese version of the Oral Health Impact Profile adapted to people with mild intellectual disabilities (OHIP-14-MID-PT). PLoS One. 2018 Jun;13(6):e0198840.
23. Navabi N, Nakhaee N, Mirzadeh A. Validation of a Persian version of the oral health impact profile (OHIP-14). Iran J Public Health. 2010 Dec;39(4):135-9.
24. Ravaghi V, Farrahi-Avval N, Locker D, Underwood M. Validation of the Persian short version of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14). Oral Health Prev Dent. 2010 Jan;8(3):229-35.
25. Motallebnejad M, Hadian H, Mehdizadeh S, Hajiahmadi M. Validity and reliability of the Persian version of the oral health impact profile (OHIP)-14. Caspian J Intern Med. 2011 Fall;2(4):314-20.
26. Badia X, Arribas F, Ormaetxe JM, Peinado R, de los Terreros MS. Development of a questionnaire to measure health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF-QoL). Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2007 Jul;5:37.
27. Awad MA, Locker D, Korner-Bitensky N, Feine JS. Measuring the effect of intra-oral implant rehabilitation on health-related quality of life in a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Dent Res. 2000 Sep;79(9):1659-63.
28. Heydecke G, Thomason JM, Lund JP, Feine JS. The impact of conventional and implant supported prostheses on social and sexual activities in edentulous adults: results from a randomized trial 2 months after treatment. J Dent. 2005 Sep;33(8):649-57.
29. Bouma J, Boerrigter LM, Van Oort RP, van Sonderen E, Boering G. Psychosocial effects of implant-retained overdentures. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1997 Jul-Aug;12(4):515-22.
30. Pires CP, Ferraz MB, Abreu MH. Translation into Brazilian Portuguese, cultural adaptation and validation of the oral health impact profile (OHIP-49). Braz Oral Res. 2006 Jul-Sep;20(3):263-8.
31. Souza FT, Santos TP, Bernardes VF, Teixeira AL, Kümmer AM, Silva TA, et al. The impact of burning mouth syndrome on health-related quality of life. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2011 Jul;9:57.
32. MacEntee MI, Walton JN, Glick N. A clinical trial of patient satisfaction and prosthodontic needs with ball and bar attachments for implant-retained complete overdentures: three-year results. J Prosthet Dent. 2005 Jan;93(1):28-37.
33. Kuoppala R, Näpänkangas R, Raustia A. Quality of life of patients treated with implant-supported mandibular overdentures evaluated with the oral health impact profile (OHIP-14): A survey of 58 patients. J Oral Maxillofac Res. 2013 Jul;4(2):e4.
34. Katsuhiko K, Neal RG. Effect of mandibular ridge height on patient's perception. With mandibular conventional and implant assisted overdentures. J Oral Maxillo Fac Implant 2005 Sep;20(5):762-68.
35. Assunção WG, Barão VA, Delben JA, Gomes ÉA, Tabata LF. A comparison of patient satisfaction between treatment with conventional complete dentures and overdentures in the elderly: a literature review. Gerodontology. 2010 Jun;27(2):154-62.
36. Sivaramakrishnan G, Sridharan K. Comparison of implant supported mandibular overdentures and conventional dentures on quality of life: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled studies. Aust Dent J. 2016 Dec;61(4):482-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.