Comparison of the Effect of Bleaching with 15% Carbamide Peroxide on the Flexural Strength of Three Resin-Based Restorative Materials
Objectives: Considering the ever-increase use of vital bleaching procedures and an increase in the use of newly introduced resin-based materials for the restoration of teeth, this in vitro study was designed to evaluate the effect of 15% carbamide gel on the flexural strength of three resin-based restorative materials.
Materials and Methods: Three different types of restorative materials, Beautifil II giomer, Cention N and Z250 micro-hybrid composite resin, were evaluated in the current study. Twenty-four bar-shaped samples were prepared from each restorative material, totaling 72 samples, and randomly assigned to two groups: with and without bleaching procedures (n=12). In the groups with a bleaching procedure, 15% carbamide peroxide gel was applied 8 hours a day for 14 days. The flexural strengths of the samples were determined. Two-way ANOVA and post hoc Tukey test were applied to compare the flexural strengths of the samples.
Results: There were significant differences in the flexural strengths of the materials in terms of the exposure to the bleaching agent (P<0.05), with significantly higher flexural strength in the groups without a bleaching procedure. However, the mean flexural strengths were not significantly different in terms of the restorative material (P=0.12).
Conclusion: It was concluded that 15% carbamide peroxide bleaching gel significantly decreased the flexural strengths of Beautifil II giomer, Cention N and Z250 micro-hybrid composite resin. There were no significant differences in the mean flexural strengths between the three resin-based restorative materials, irrespective of the use or no use of 15% carbamide peroxide gel.
2. Ranjbar Omrani L, Khoshamad S, Tabatabaei Ghomshe E, Chiniforush N, Hashemi Kamangar SS. In vitro effect of bleaching with 810 nm and 980 nm diode laser on microhardness of self-cure and light-cure glass ionomer cements. J Lasers Med Sci. 2017 Fall;8(4):191-6.
3. Hatanaka GR, Abi-Rached Fde O, Almeida-Júnior AA, Cruz CA. Effect of carbamide peroxide bleaching gel on composite resin flexural strength and microhardness. Braz Dent J. 2013;24(3):263-6.
4. Peixoto AC, Vaez SC, Pereira NAR, Santana CNDS, Soares KDA, Romão ACTR, et al. High-concentration carbamide peroxide can reduce the sensitivity caused by in-office tooth bleaching: a single-blinded randomized controlled trial. J Appl Oral Sci. 2018 May;26:20170573.
5. Yu H, Li Q, Lin Y, Buchalla W, Wang Y. Influence of carbamide peroxide on the flexural strength of tooth-colored restorative materials: an in vitro study at different environmental temperatures. Oper Dent. 2010 May-Jun;35(3):300-7.
6. Feiz A, Samanian N, Davoudi A, Badrian H. Effect of different bleaching regimens on the flexural strength of hybrid composite resin. J Conserv Dent. 2016 Mar-Apr;19(2):157-60.
7. Firoozmand LM, Pagani C. Influence of bleaching treatment on flexural resistance of hybrid materials. Acta Odontol Latinoam. 2009;22(2):75-80.
8. Yu H, Zhang CY, Wang YN, Cheng H. Hydrogen peroxide bleaching induces changes in the physical properties of dental restorative materials: Effects of study protocols. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2018 Mar;30(2):52-60.
9. Geramipanah F, Rezaei SM, Jafary M, Sadighpour L. Comparison of flexural strength of resin cements after storing in different media and bleaching agents. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2015 Jun;23(2):56-61.
10. Kimyai S, Pournaghi-Azar F, Mohammadi N, Babri M. Effect of hemostatic agent on marginal gaps of class V giomer restorations. J Clin Exp Dent. 2017 May;9(5):672-6.
11. Arami S, Kimyai S, Oskoee PA, Daneshpooy M, Rikhtegaran S, Bahari M, et al. Reparability of giomer using different mechanical surface treatments. J Clin Exp Dent. 2017 Apr;9(4):520-6.
12. Mohammadi N, Kimyai S, Abed-Kahnamoii M, Ebrahimi-Chaharom ME, Sadr A, Daneshi M. Effect of 15% carbamide peroxide bleaching gel on color stability of giomer and microfilled composite resin: an in vitro comparison. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2012 Nov;17(6):1082-8.
13. ElSayad II. Color and translucency of finished and unfinished esthetic restorative materials after staining and bleaching. Saudi Dent J. 2018 Jul;30(3):219-25.
14. Kimyai S, Bahari M, Naser-Alavi F, Behboodi S. Effect of two different tooth bleaching techniques on microhardness of giomer. J Clin Exp Dent. 2017 Feb;9(2):249-53.
15. Ilie N. Comparative effect of self- or dual-curing on polymerization kinetics and mechanical properties in a novel, dental-resin-based composite with alkaline filler. Materials (Basel). 2018 Jan;11(1).
16. Donly KJ, Liu JA. Dentin and enamel demineralization inhibition at restoration margins of Vitremer, Z 100 and Cention N. Am J Dent. 2018 Jun;31(3):166-8.
17. Yu H, Li Q, Cheng H, Wang Y. The effects of temperature and bleaching gels on the properties of tooth-colored restorative materials. J Prosthet Dent. 2011 Feb;105(2):100-7.
18. Chung SM, Yap AU, Chandra SP, Lim CT. Flexural strength of dental composite restoratives: comparison of biaxial and three-point bending test. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2004 Nov;71(2):278-83.
19. Attin T, Hannig C, Wiegand A, Attin R. Effect of bleaching on restorative materials and restorations--a systematic review. Dent Mater. 2004 Nov;20(9):852-61.
20. Lima DA, De Alexandre RS, Martins AC, Aguiar FH, Ambrosano GM, Lovadino JR. Effect of curing lights and bleaching agents on physical properties of a hybrid composite resin. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2008;20(4):266-73.
21. Campos I, Briso AL, Pimenta LA, Ambrosano G. Effects of bleaching with carbamide peroxide gels on microhardness of restoration materials. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2003;15(3):175-82.
22. Turker SB, Biskin T. Effect of three bleaching agents on the surface properties of three different esthetic restorative materials. J Prosthet Dent. 2003 May;89(5):466-73.
23. Ilie N, Hickel R. Investigations on mechanical behaviour of dental composites. Clin Oral Investig. 2009 Dec;13(4):427-38.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.