Overcoming the Challenges of COVID-19 Pandemic in Orthodontic Practice
The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) turned into a pandemic in short-time with multi-dimensional effects on human lives. The containment of this infection has become a big challenge in all countries due to its rapid spread. In this situation, when there is no definitive cure or any vaccine available to overcome COVID-19, it is prudent for the world to live with this deadly virus for the many months to come. Hence, it is imperative for the dental professionals, particularly orthodontists, to modify their approach to learn the new normal of practicing dentistry.
2. Kampf G, Todt D, Pfaender S, Steinmann E. Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents. J Hosp Infect. 2020 Mar;104(3):246-51.
3. Suri S, Vandersluis YR, Kochhar AS, Bhasin R, Abdallah MN. Clinical orthodontic management during the COVID-19 pandemic. Angle Orthod. 2020 Apr. Online ahead of print.
4. Van Doremalen N, Bushmaker T, Morris DH, Holbrook MG, Gamble A, Williamson BN, et al. Aerosol and surface stability of SARS-CoV-2 as compared with SARS-CoV-1. N Engl J Med. 2020 Apr;382(16):1564-7.
5. Rothe C, Schunk M, Sothmann P, Bretzel G, Froeschl G, Wallrauch C, et al. Transmission of 2019-nCoV infection from an asymptomatic contact in Germany. N Engl J Med. 2020 Mar;382(10):970-1.
6. Zhang W, Du RH, Li B, Zheng XS, Yang XL, Hu B, et al. Molecular and serological investigation of 2019-nCoV infected patients: implication of multiple shedding routes. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2020 Jan;9(1):386-9.
7. To KK, Tsang OT, Yip CC, Chan KH, Wu TC, Chan JM, et al. Consistent detection of 2019 novel coronavirus in saliva. Clin Infect Dis 2020 Jul;71(15):841-3.
8. Santarpia JL, Rivera DN, Herrera V, Morwitzer MJ, Creager H, Santarpia GW, et al. Transmission potential of SARS-CoV-2 in viral shedding observed at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. medRxiv. 2020 Jan. In Press
9. Sabino-Silva R, Jardim ACG, Siqueira WL. Coronavirus COVID-19 impacts to dentistry and potential salivary diagnosis. Clin Oral Investig. 2020 Apr;24(4):1619-21.
10. American Association of Orthodontists. COVID-19 Resources for Orthodontists. 2020. Available at: https://www1.aaoinfo.org/covid-19/
11. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. What to Do if You Are Sick. 2020. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/index.html
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.